Page 5 of 33 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by maryann
    Yeah, it is a great website. thanks

Got another quote from their website which is a dealbreaker for me.

GO does not have a large cache of voice commands. It will not speak the name or number of an upcomming exit. It will simply say "Take the exit" or "Take the exit and get on the highway". In this area, with many crowded roads and exits close together this is a real drawback. I sincerely hope TomTom will do something about this in a later software release. Also it still talks in yards, which is not what most Americans are used to. Finally, for some odd reason if you want to navigate to a POI as a destination, the GO only seems to allow you to pick one within the nearby area. From NJ I can't select a hotel in Pittsburgh. This makes no sense at all.
    tomtom GO is their standalone gps/maps combo unit, similar to the magellan roadmate. But I'm guessing the bt gps/software combo probably has the same issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by EBW000
    It looks like from what a few folks have said that it's ready for primetime...I'm ready to order but I wanted to know if anyone has a MAC that has gotten the cd's to work & hotsync to the 650. On their site it says windoze blah blah blah!
    Thanks,
    Ed
    I'm going for it. Worst case, I can use a relative's windows machine. But my guess is you can get the map files on the Windows cd just by popping the cd in the mac and dragging the map files to an sd card.

I'll let you know XMAS morning.
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    before u take it as a dealbreaker u should ask them if the palmOne version suffers the same problems as the actual Go unit. the software might be more updated in this version then their actual more expensive version. either way for the price im stoked.
    Quote Originally Posted by wahili
    before u take it as a dealbreaker u should ask them if the palmOne version suffers the same problems as the actual Go unit. the software might be more updated in this version then their actual more expensive version. either way for the price im stoked.
    Good point. If those voice commands are updated, I would order it today.
    Even when I used the Magellan roadmate 700 (all inclusive, 20gb hard drive) the voice prompt would say "Take right exit, 1.5 miles", not "take exit 43, 1.5 miles". It might be intentional, knowing the way various states change their exit numbers!

Clue
    Can you download updated maps, or is that even offered? How upto date are the maps?
    They're talking about the GO unit there. The Navigator 2004 on the PocketPC speaks miles/feet and sometimes exit numbers - not always though, I didn't try to figure out why.

So, can anyone confirm this unit locks on without line of sight to the sky?
    I do have TomTom for Palm, and As far as I know, TomTom does not tell you the exit number nor does it mentioned about the name of exit. It does sometimes lists the exit name and number at the bottom of the screen which is very hard to see while driving. This is definately a problem when you live in an area where there are alot of highways. (i.e., Outbound GWB from NY to NJ where there are probably 6 to 7 different highways split off at the end of the bridge).

Also lacking from Tom Tom is the ability to tell whether the destination is located left or right side of the street. When it reaches at the destination, it simply says you've arrived. This is ok when the street is narrow, but could be a problem on wide lane boulevard type streets.
  9.    #89  
    Quote Originally Posted by NSiNSiNSi
    They're talking about the GO unit there. The Navigator 2004 on the PocketPC speaks miles/feet and sometimes exit numbers - not always though, I didn't try to figure out why.

So, can anyone confirm this unit locks on without line of sight to the sky?
    Yes, I can confirm this. The signal levels drop a bit, but it remains locked without any troubles. You can view the levels from within the TomTom software, and the GPS receiver itself has a green blinking light when locked.

In fact, this picture that I posted on page 3 shows the signal levels from the various GPS
    satellites while I was using it basically in the center of my basement in my two story house:

http://www.gurulabs.com/files/tomtom...0/DSC00036.JPG

No line of sight needed at all.
  10.    #90  
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldfinger
    Can you download updated maps, or is that even offered? How upto date are the maps?
    Most GPS companies sell yearly updates of maps. This is pretty standard practice across the board.
  11.    #91  
    Quote Originally Posted by bestoverall
    No way that it will get a lock inside the glove box. Every GPS receivers need to see open sky to get GPS lock. Only way this can be done is if you have an anternna hooked up to the unit. Keep your Belkin. TomTom unit ain't any better.
    Wrong. It works fine, see my previous post.
  12.    #92  
    Quote Originally Posted by bestoverall
    Also lacking from Tom Tom is the ability to tell whether the destination is located left or right side of the street. When it reaches at the destination, it simply says you've arrived. This is ok when the street is narrow, but could be a problem on wide lane boulevard type streets.
    I've noticed this too. When you get within a couple hundred yards at the destination, you basically gotta look around for your destination.
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    i guess i can live with that........however that could be problematic in nyc where areas are condensed. i was going to manhattan and i have many spots to go to and errands to run so i will post after some extensive field testing about 9-10 days from now!

oh and why was this moved... people need to see this post so we can more people using this thing. one thing i was wondering... i wonder if theres anyway to tap into this GPS for programming purposes..
    Quote Originally Posted by wahili
    oh and why was this moved...
    'cause it's about a Bluetooth accessory and belongs in the Bluetooth forum.
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
    I noticed in your screenshots that there are 14 bars in the bar graph, so does TomTom support gps receivers with 16 (well 14) channels. The 16 channels receivers are just being released with improved chipsets that have battery life ranging in the 20 hours. I can't find the exact specs on the TomTom receiver (accuracy, etc). Iím interested in getting a good gps receiver. Is the gps receiver that came with TomTom bundle any good? Iím interested to see if anyone has tired the new I.trek (also want to hear more about the EmTac BT V3). I have been reading some articles at www.gpspassion.com and it seems that more people seen to like mapopolis better than TomTom (it showed that TomTom didn't switch maps when crossing the boarder, but that was version 3). What do you guys think?
    .. there's a bluetooth forum? had no idea
    Two questions:

- Can I use TomTom without the GPS receiver to pull up a map for an address?

- I've seen some ask the question as to if the GPS functionality is interrupted when a call comes in. Does this only happen with a bluetooth receiver, or with any? I understand that the bluetooth to the GPS would be lost if I tried to use a bluetooth headset, but if I use the speakerphone, why can't I continue using the navigation?

Thanks in advance!
    -Brian
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    i just got my tomtom.. the unit itself is small as hell. i didnt think it was that tiny. also i dont have huge hands either
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Let us know of your testing results, man. I'm getting the unit tomorrow.
    Mine is arriving tomorrow as well!
Page 5 of 33 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast