Page 4 of 33 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jimf
    I'm not pitching Mapopolis to anyone, but just as an FYI, Mapopolis has all these features as well (multi-map routes and display, map data on SD, map pack includes entire US county-by-county and entire state, 3D view). Routing times across great distances can be slow and sometimes crashes, presumably because of memory issues, or a bug in Mapopolis. It sounds like TomTom is better at this, and also reportedly has better UI design, which is probably true - the map displays on Mapopolis are very good, but the options screens are pretty minimalistic-looking.
    I love Mapopolis, except for the crashes you mentioned and the LONG LONG time (we're talking 3-5 minutes) it takes to calculate routes (essentially, I like everything except the real-time navigation tools ). I tried it on the 600 with the eTrex, and rerouting was a joke. By the time it figured out the new route, I was already past the street where it wanted me to turn. Obviously, it detected that and went back into re-route mode, and so on and so on.
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wahili
    who does pay attention to transit.. or at least a "on foot" type direction system.
    ehhhhh...lol ... so do i!

the who i was referring to is as in what GPS provider pays attention to it because i would like that featureset ^_^ im with ya!
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by treo650luvr
    $299 + shipping!!! that is crazy talk!

do like i do

Go here:

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.as...8&loc=101&sp=1
    add to cart...

then go here:
    http://www.couponmountain.com/frame....58312&c=&m=289
    add to cart ( for first time buy.com shoppers this is an additional $15 coupon)

Total Cost : $220.06

sometimes they swap that out so do it quick before they catch on!

w00t.
    ehhhhh...lol ... so do i!

the who i was referring to is as in what GPS provider pays attention to it because i would like that featureset ^_^ im with ya!

I knew what ya meant but it did sound a little snooty
  5.    #65  
    Quote Originally Posted by mullva
    With this pack, can you take the GPS reciever "on foot" ?

Does it have an internal battery of some kind that would allow "on foot" usage ?
    If you used it "on foot", could you throw it in your pocket, or does it have to have a line of site to the sats (maybe even in a horizontal position?) ?
    It does have an internal battery. It is supposed to last 6 hours, but I didn't try.

It works fine tossed into my glove box, or in my coat pocket.
  6.    #66  
    Quote Originally Posted by maryann
    Are the voice prompts loud and clear in the car?

Thanks
    I've driven around in my SUV and my car and it sounds very clear and loud. It uses the "speaker phone" speaker on the back of the Treo650.

There are several different voices, both female and male that you can pick from.
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    $299 + shipping!!! that is crazy talk!

do like i do

Go here:

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.as...8&loc=101&sp=1
    add to cart...

then go here:
    http://www.couponmountain.com/frame....58312&c=&m=289
    add to cart ( for first time buy.com shoppers this is an additional $15 coupon)

Total Cost : $220.06

sometimes they swap that out so do it quick before they catch on!

w00t.
    Damn - every time I try that I get "Sorry, that coupon is invalid or does not exist."
    Maybe Santa will be nice and bring me one of these!

What I'd like to know is when you're using this in real-time mode for directions, etc, does the TT software disable the auto-off on the Treo, or do you need to keep turning the 650 back on?
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    How's it compared to EMTAC ? thought I saw reviews saying that the EMTAC receiver being much better than Tomtom ?
    Now you've done it. I settled on the holux/mapopolis combo for xmas, and I've told my wife "Stop the presses! This is the gps combo I really want!"

She growled and left the living room.

Clue
    Quote Originally Posted by Treo Dude
    Damn - every time I try that I get "Sorry, that coupon is invalid or does not exist."
    I think the coupon expired last night at midnight, sorry.
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    try googling "buy.com $15 off" or $20 off etc. experiment a little. you will find something if u try for a coupla minutes! its not a code or anything but rather a hyperlink that creates the redemption coupon which you can add to your cart which redeems itself automatically.

I ordered yesterday and i already have a fedex track!

also this may help in decisions decisions.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1721259,00.asp

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/cus...bosnation0e-20 (reviews)

the bad reviews seem to deal with amazon sending out used items and one guy seems to be having a rough time in baltimore. two things do concern me...

d. Maps update. Unavailable. Isn't that stupid???

e. Map sets. On my vacations I was going to Myrtle Beach, NC. Imagine my surprise when I found that the map set available for MD is covering the area from MD to SC and NO, YOU CAN"T ADD TO THIS MAP. I have 512 MB card on my Dell Axim. The map takes 112 MB, yet software is limiting me in maps selection???
    That is the worth feature killing the idea of GPS.
    You want to plan a trip from coast to coast? Forget about it. From Nevada to Texas? No way.
    Last edited by wahili; 12/11/2004 at 01:00 AM.
    Map sets. On my vacations I was going to Myrtle Beach, NC. Imagine my surprise when I found that the map set available for MD is covering the area from MD to SC and NO, YOU CAN"T ADD TO THIS MAP. I have 512 MB card on my Dell Axim. The map takes 112 MB, yet software is limiting me in maps selection???
    That is the worth feature killing the idea of GPS.
    You want to plan a trip from coast to coast? Forget about it. From Nevada to Texas? No way.
    I saw the map groupings on the tomtom site. For Nevada to Texas, they do have a continuous major highways map with a size of 44mb. For MD to SC, you do need a 160mb map that includes Maine to MD, and a 66mb 3 state southern map. I do think you're right that you have to switch maps and then enter in a new route.

For my use, I doubt I'll leave the Maine to Virginia map area but once a year, and I'll put up with switching map data at that time. It looks like a complete, detailed US roadmap would come in at just under 1 gig. Is that how others add it up?

Clue
    I have a question.

How are you powering the Treo? You will need the Cigarette lighter adapter to power the GPS. Does that mean you need to mess with the car's internal wiring?
    Quote Originally Posted by LinuxGuy
    It does have an internal battery. It is supposed to last 6 hours, but I didn't try.

It works fine tossed into my glove box, or in my coat pocket.

Wait.. it gets a lock inside your glove box? That's amazing. My Belkin/Fortna is pretty good but there's no way it would get a lock inside the glove box. That could be reason enough for me to buy the whole TomTom package.
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    that post wasnt my observation but some guy on amazon about the maps. mine is coming sometime this week!

just get an adapter that splits your cig lighter for the charging thing
    Quote Originally Posted by NSiNSiNSi
    Wait.. it gets a lock inside your glove box? That's amazing. My Belkin/Fortna is pretty good but there's no way it would get a lock inside the glove box. That could be reason enough for me to buy the whole TomTom package.
    No way that it will get a lock inside the glove box. Every GPS receivers need to see open sky to get GPS lock. Only way this can be done is if you have an anternna hooked up to the unit. Keep your Belkin. TomTom unit ain't any better.
    Quote Originally Posted by bestoverall
    No way that it will get a lock inside the glove box. Every GPS receivers need to see open sky to get GPS lock. Only way this can be done is if you have an anternna hooked up to the unit. Keep your Belkin. TomTom unit ain't any better.
    Not what I've read. Pulled this excerpt from a product review on gpspassion.com:

"When I first started using the the CruxII in 2002 I was stunned by its GPS performance compared to the GPS receivers I had used over the years by Magellan and Garmin and that more or less required a line of sigh to the "birds" (satellites) in the sky to get a "fix". Not so with the CruxII that was happy to operate from within the glovebox of my car! I later found out that this was made possible by the fact that the CruxII was the first consumer GPS to use SiRF's latest SiRFstar IIe/LP chipset."

Great website, check it out.

Clue
    It looks like from what a few folks have said that it's ready for primetime...I'm ready to order but I wanted to know if anyone has a MAC that has gotten the cd's to work & hotsync to the 650. On their site it says windoze blah blah blah!
    Thanks,
    Ed
    Quote Originally Posted by Cluemeister
    Not what I've read. Pulled this excerpt from a product review on gpspassion.com:

"When I first started using the the CruxII in 2002 I was stunned by its GPS performance compared to the GPS receivers I had used over the years by Magellan and Garmin and that more or less required a line of sigh to the "birds" (satellites) in the sky to get a "fix". Not so with the CruxII that was happy to operate from within the glovebox of my car! I later found out that this was made possible by the fact that the CruxII was the first consumer GPS to use SiRF's latest SiRFstar IIe/LP chipset."

Great website, check it out.

Clue
    Yeah, it is a great website. thanks

Got another quote from their website which is a dealbreaker for me.

GO does not have a large cache of voice commands. It will not speak the name or number of an upcomming exit. It will simply say "Take the exit" or "Take the exit and get on the highway". In this area, with many crowded roads and exits close together this is a real drawback. I sincerely hope TomTom will do something about this in a later software release. Also it still talks in yards, which is not what most Americans are used to. Finally, for some odd reason if you want to navigate to a POI as a destination, the GO only seems to allow you to pick one within the nearby area. From NJ I can't select a hotel in Pittsburgh. This makes no sense at all.
Page 4 of 33 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast