Page 32 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2227282930313233 LastLast
    What does TomTom's sexual orientation have to do with it?
    ~'kito
  2. gaf
    I have been looking through the reviews, and it appears that Tom Tom has Navman/SmartST, Seidio/Mapopolis, and Emtac/Navtech beat. Tom Tom has not yet released their new BT unit, but I was thinking of getting the TomTom 2004, but it appears to be sold out most places

In any case, I run Linux both at work and at home. Can the Tom Tom software be installed from Linux - where I can just install the .prc files and data to my 650.
    Last edited by gaf; 06/21/2005 at 02:36 PM.
    I don't know about Linux, but it won't install from a Mac. Maps are all installed from within a Windows application. I couldn't find any prc or pdb files on the cd's. Very frustrating and unnecessary.

Still love tomtom though!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cluemeister
    I don't know about Linux, but it won't install from a Mac.
    2004 wont install, but TomTom Navigator 5 will have a Mac installer. See http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...ghlight=tomtom
    Quote Originally Posted by gaf
    I have been looking through the reviews, and it appears that Tom Tom has Navman/SmartST, Seidio/Mapopolis, and Emtac/Navtech beat. Tom Tom has not yet released their new BT unit, but I was thinking of getting the TomTom 2004, but it appears to be sold out most places

In any case, I run Linux both at work and at home. Can the Tom Tom software be installed from Linux - where I can just install the .prc files and data to my 650.
    If you go through Seidio and get their bundle they just include the I.terk receiver (and either Mapopolis or TomTom as an option)....Regardless, you can get better pricing if you go through semson.com They offer the I.terk for $99 or one of the SIRF III receivers (BT-338 or Holux-236) for $144..the Sirf III are generally better. TT 2004 is out of stock because they stopped shipping it and everybody is waiting for TT2005..which should be out in the next 1-2 weeks...you can preorder that. Also the TomTom BT Receiver is just a rebadged Sirf III unit...Similar features to the BT-338 but uses a smaller battery...makes the unit a little smaller but battery life will probably be ~8hrs vs ~15hr for the BT338
    I am not sure if this was covered in this long thread. I reinstalled TomTom Navigator for the Palm on my Treo 650 but lost all my Favorites. Does anybody know which file contains them? I would hate to lose all of those because there were quite alot of them.

btw, I did back the whole app with BackupBuddy and Hotsync.
    It is stored in the mapname_cfg.pdb file (example Colorado_cfg.pdb). Unfortunately, there is a bug in TomTom where it doesn't change the modified date of this file sometimes when you add new favorites.

So, then the new favorites don't get backed up.

A workaround, to make sure you tomtom settings get backed up.. is to delete the mapname_cfg and settings_dat files from your palm backup directory on you PC before you hotsync so that you can make sure you have the newest version on your pc.
    Finally! I got everything to work .... and it works great. Here's what I use, if anyone wants to duplicate it:

Palm Device: Treo 650 from Verizon.
    Software: TomTom Navigator 4 with the Treo 650 software upgrade.
    Software location: All installed to the SD chip. Only the "start" application's in my Treo's internal memory.
    GPS Receiver: Holux GR 231 bluetooth GPS receiver ($95 on eBay, including shipping and handling).
    Handsfree Treo Holder: iPod Docking Kit "PH-MINI 4" by Bracketron. $9.99 at Bestbuy. It's meant to hold an ipod, but by snapping off the inner brackets, the outer brackers hold my Treo 650 perfectly. What a coincidence?!?

I drive a fairly quiet car, and with the speaker volume turned up to 70% in Tomtom, I can hear the voice directions very, very clearly out of my treo's backside speaker. I had a Seidio GPS car kit (powered speaker booster and wired GPS receiver) for my previous Treo 600, but with this new configuration I saved a lot of money, eliminated the wires, and the system works perfectly.
    How much for the tomtom software?
    I got the Tomtom Navigator 2004 on eBay as well, for $130 (including shipping and handling).
    www.semsons.com sells it for ~$125 by itself...I got it bundled with a BT-338 receiver and I think the software was $105 as part of the bundle.

I highly recommend semsons...awesome customer support...I've emailed them several times with various questions and they have always been very responsive and knowledgable.
    Has anyone noticed different BT handling with TT and the new SPCS ROM 1.12? Before the update, calls would ring to my BT headset (SE HBH-660) when I was in TT Navigator (with TT BT GPS). Since the new update, the call no longer rings through to my BT headset. Anyone else experience this? Are there any remedies?
    Can anyone tell me how the BT receiver works with the Acura HFL? Posts 476 and 500 seem to have inconsistent answers, but the latter may be describing a headset, not the Acura HFL. Since the phone call is going to interrupt TT anyway, I would like it to ring through to the HFL. Can the HFL interrupt the TT connection when I want to make an outgoing call? This is for a Verizon 650, but I'd appreciate answers from anyone.

EDIT: Post 583 seems to answer my first question, sorry I missed that. Still curious about the second.
    Last edited by ntaylor; 06/28/2005 at 03:18 PM.
    I had TomTom Nav 2004 (and a good ol' standby GPS program, Quo Vadis) running perfectly on my 650 under the Sprint 1.08 ROM (actually Shadowmite's Custom ROM #5), using a wired GPS receiver.

Now that I've upgraded to the Sprint 1.12 ROM, *neither* program can detect the wired GPS. On the Quo Vadis GPS / Initialization screen, I can plainly tell that no data is flowing in from the serial port at all!

I even did a hard reset, installed just *one* third-party app (GpsPilot.com's Compass program), and still no joy!

I have read that the 1.12 ROM performs more hardware checks than the prior ROMs. Could 1.12 be deciding that my serial port is defective? Sure didn't seem to be defective to me under 1.08!

Anybody else having this problem?
    -- Kevin Andrew Lipscomb
    -- http://kal.webhop.net
    Global Posts
    2 Global Posts
    Hi all,
    I just received my bluetooth Navigator 5 from Amazon today and installed the western map on my SD card (be sure to copy it direct using a card reader as opposed to HotSync'ing it as it's much faster). My Treo 650 shows the map just fine and I'm also able to connect to their service to get weather and traffic data, but I can't seem to get the voices to work. I keep getting the error "you did not select a usable voice". Any ideas? My TomTom version is 5.0 and my Treo is still on Sprint's 1.03.

Thanks,
    Steve.
    Several times, my first attempt to install the various components would fail in some way. A reinstall would fix it.
    -- Kevin Andrew Lipscomb
    -- http://kal.webhop.net
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinAndrewLips
    Several times, my first attempt to install the various components would fail in some way. A reinstall would fix it.
    I recommend an unistall (using the native Palm uninstall) and a reinstall.
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinAndrewLips
    I had TomTom Nav 2004 (and a good ol' standby GPS program, Quo Vadis) running perfectly on my 650 under the Sprint 1.08 ROM (actually Shadowmite's Custom ROM #5), using a wired GPS receiver.

Now that I've upgraded to the Sprint 1.12 ROM, *neither* program can detect the wired GPS. On the Quo Vadis GPS / Initialization screen, I can plainly tell that no data is flowing in from the serial port at all!

I even did a hard reset, installed just *one* third-party app (GpsPilot.com's Compass program), and still no joy!

I have read that the 1.12 ROM performs more hardware checks than the prior ROMs. Could 1.12 be deciding that my serial port is defective? Sure didn't seem to be defective to me under 1.08!

Anybody else having this problem?

I was advised by Mapopolis tech support to soft reset the treo 650 2 times back to back. This would clear the serial port, which would sometimes gets locked up.( no gps connection) It worked with mapopolis and when I moved to TomTom 2004 with my serial gps receiver, I did the same to get it to work properly. Every once in a while the serial port gets stuck and the double soft reset always clears it up. When I upgraded to 1.13, 1.28 gsm, everything still works.
    Quote Originally Posted by LewisL77
    I was advised by Mapopolis tech support .....
    I love those guys. They are the reason that I have never even tried TOM TOM. (It has nothing to do with his sexual orientation). My taxi in Rome featured Tom Tom.
    Hi Okamotos,

I had the same voices problem with my Treo 650. What I did to fix it was:

1) Install the voices to my memory card. This would cause the error you describe.
    2) Install the voices to my internal memory. This would cause the Treo 650 to crash and reset.
    3) Delete the voices from internal memory using "FileZ" (shareware).
    4) Reset the Treo 650.

Voila! Now it would work fine with voices. Good luck!