Page 31 of 33 FirstFirst ... 212627282930313233 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by pufftissue
    For what it's worth, I think Mapopolis is a total joke for the Treo 650. I know it's Beta right now (or I sincerely hope so), but I encounter resets about 5 times a day, esp if you are looking anything up more than 10 miles away. I would highly, highly implore everyone to stay away from Mapopolis. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I doubt it. I absolutely will not buy Mapopolis and even only use the beta when I absolutely must (b/c I'm waiting for Tom Tom to sell their software only). Also, is it just me or does the Mapopolis voice scare you when you're riding in silence for 5 miles, and then it pops up in a robotic, androgenized android voice: "Turn Right! . . . . 0.5 miles."
    I don't know, it scared my sister too, maybe it's just our family. Is the Tomtom's voice more natural sounding?

BTW, the Holux GR-231, the one with Xtrac sensitivity, the improvement to the GR-230, is great. Its construction is typically cheap, but it'll suffice. It's about pager-sized, and the sensitivity and time to lock onto a signal have been very quick to me, a minute at most, but most of the time about 30 seconds? Let's put it this way, Mapopolis takes longer to load and do its stuff than the Holux. Maybe Tomtom will make the Holux into the weak point in my gps system. Wish they had a demo. It's too much to plop down that much for software that could be buggy, with no recourse if it sucks.
    I too have problems with Mapopolis. When doing a search for over 25 or 50 miles, it reset my Treo. Then come to find out, a temporary file with the name CachedMemory over 10MB still left in my Treo so I deleted it and also deleted the Mapopolis References file. I've just upgraded my Firmware to 1.23. Using powerrun to utilize my apps, I now have 20MB left which is great. It looks like TomTom is the way to go. BTW, Holux GR-231 is great. I'm using it and it does the job nicely. Not to mention you can use it as a USB device by purchasing the option usb cable. PalmOne is selling the BlueTooth GPS which is identical to this Holux. Same shape, features and the only difference is the logo in the middle.
    Well, I also made the switch to TomTom 2004 from mapopolis. It is sooo much better. Routing is fast and no resets. It works great with my serial haicom gps receiver. Hopefully TomTom 5 will be out soon with updated maps and more features.
    Quote Originally Posted by LewisL77
    Well, I also made the switch to TomTom 2004 from mapopolis. It is sooo much better. ........
    How did you do that? I cannot find a place to buy the software without buying another GPS. I already have two that I use with Mapopolis. Incidentally, I am not having a problem with routing over a long distance as long as only the necessary maps are in the referenced directory (including the sub-directories).
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray
    How did you do that? I cannot find a place to buy the software without buying another GPS. I already have two that I use with Mapopolis. Incidentally, I am not having a problem with routing over a long distance as long as only the necessary maps are in the referenced directory (including the sub-directories).
    I found my own answer: http://www.epinions.com/content_181789953668
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    Im lookin to get the newest version of TOMTOM. If I buy whats is available now do I have to pay for the upgrade when it comes out in the near future?? Or should I just wait for Navigator 5??
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray
    I actually picked it up at buygpsnow.com for $125.00
    Quote Originally Posted by jrp503
    Im lookin to get the newest version of TOMTOM. If I buy whats is available now do I have to pay for the upgrade when it comes out in the near future?? Or should I just wait for Navigator 5??
    i confirmed with TomTom that if you buy the software 60 days or less before the new version comes out, you will get a free upgrade.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben74
    i confirmed with TomTom that if you buy the software 60 days or less before the new version comes out, you will get a free upgrade.
    So did they verify that we are within 60days of the new release and anything bought today would come with the free upgrade

That message on their website saying V5 is coming soon has been up there for a long time already
    Looks like TomTom Mobile 5 was just released for the UK. Hopefully this means that Navigator 5 follows soon. It looks like Navigator 5 is preloaded on an SD card. For those of us who will "upgrade" from Nav 4, will we be sent an SD card or will we have CD-based installation (like Nav 4)? It would be a bummer to have to carry around an extra SD card just for TT.
  10. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by acousticbiker
    It would be a bummer to have to carry around an extra SD card just for TT.
    Bummer indeed!
    It does look like everything is on a seperate SD card, but maybe you could just copy the files you need from the card onto any SD card.
    I actually got an email from TomTom in response to my question about SD cards. They said that upgraders would actually have to pay for the SD version and that the CD version would be free (for those who bought within 60 days). They quoted me a date of 6/18/05 for upgrade availability.
    I actually got an email from TomTom in response to my question about SD cards. They said that upgraders would actually have to pay for the SD version and that the CD version would be free (for those who bought within 60 days). They quoted me a date of 6/18/05 for upgrade availability.

Does that mean that 6/18/05 is Navigator 5's release date and that anything purchased over 60 days prior to 6/18/05 will not be honored for the free upgrade?

TomTom told me Navigator 5 would be out in May when I bought Navigator 2004 in April, now I feel like I'm getting the shaft on the upgrade if they delay the release until June. Arghhhh.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Katway
    Does that mean that 6/18/05 is Navigator 5's release date and that anything purchased over 60 days prior to 6/18/05 will not be honored for the free upgrade?

TomTom told me Navigator 5 would be out in May when I bought Navigator 2004 in April, now I feel like I'm getting the shaft on the upgrade if they delay the release until June. Arghhhh.....
    www.buy.com is selling Navigaor 5, but they are Temporarily Sold Out.

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.as...01&hdwt=0&sp=1

I would like to purchase that too, I guess I have to wait until they have them back in stock.

Hope this helps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katway

Yeah, they did indicate that the 60 day period would be based on 6/18...
    Quote Originally Posted by greathome
    www.buy.com is selling Navigaor 5, but they are Temporarily Sold Out.

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.as...01&hdwt=0&sp=1

I would like to purchase that too, I guess I have to wait until they have them back in stock.

Hope this helps.
    Navigator 5 is not out yet. See http://www.tomtom.com/products/produ...103&Language=4

Buy.com hasn't sold it yet, they just put "sold out" on the web page until the product is actually released.
    Hi guys. Can we choose to get the CD version for the Nav5 instead of the SD version? If there is only SD version available for Nav5, I rather go with Nav2004 right now. If I am buying the standalone software, what's a decent GPS device to pick up. Sorry this thread is a little too big.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7
    Hi guys. Can we choose to get the CD version for the Nav5 instead of the SD version? If there is only SD version available for Nav5, I rather go with Nav2004 right now. If I am buying the standalone software, what's a decent GPS device to pick up. Sorry this thread is a little too big.
    See #612. Also, the Search function is pretty easy to use...
    See #612.
    Acutally, I do not think this answers his first question. I have had a similiar question and I am waiting for a response from Tomtom about it. Basically, I want to know if we can buy the Navigator 5 brand new (not an upgrade) with the CD version and not the SD version or does the SD version come with both? I would hate to have to carry another SD card with me.
    Quote Originally Posted by meloveu
    Acutally, I do not think this answers his first question. I have had a similiar question and I am waiting for a response from Tomtom about it. Basically, I want to know if we can buy the Navigator 5 brand new (not an upgrade) with the CD version and not the SD version or does the SD version come with both? I would hate to have to carry another SD card with me.

Exactly. Buy.com link doesn't have the option to let me select the SD version or the CD version. If TomTom is being gay and only release the CD version 2 months after the SD version, then I certain won't wait for it. It looks like TomTom is not going to make the May release they promised. I don't know what the heck are they waiting, 2005 is going to be over soon. No wonder they rename it to "5".

I think I am buying this TomTom 2004 for T3
    http://www.pcconnection.com/ProductD...ourceID=k15506

I assume I just need the T5 update?

Thanks for your input.