Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    yay info! good job linuxguy. this is some primo stuff. i dont like the idea of being able to only install on 2 devices........................................ but other then that it sounds pretty cool.... the only place where this gets shady is what if i have to replace my Treo 650 again... (already on my second one) i would hope their customer support would be able to fig this out and come thru on that.

now waiting for mine in the mail. yay my first gps unit!
    i have tomtom for the t3 and it's awesome! do you find it hard to enter the letters for the street and city on the smaller treo screen? and i have this weird problem with street numbers on previous addresses being off by one or two digits? does anyone else experience that?
  3.    #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by treomacuser
    i have tomtom for the t3 and it's awesome! do you find it hard to enter the letters for the street and city on the smaller treo screen? and i have this weird problem with street numbers on previous addresses being off by one or two digits? does anyone else experience that?
    Well, there are two options I see:

1. Use the Treo's keyboard.

2. Use a stylus on the on screen TomTom keyboard.

I use option 1.
    Global Posts
    124 Global Posts
    Wow that is cool. I wonder how it compares to the Garmin iQue 3600 I have.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Treo
    I tried Mapopolis and the software continues to run during a phone call. Haven't tried Tom Tom.

Which version of Mapopolis do you have ?
    Can a GPS device route you via bus, train, walking and such?
    This would be an awesome feature and truly useful for those that are on foot a lot like myself. If maps are loaded, you would think included in them are train, bus ,trolley routes in N.E.S.W. co-ordinates.

[QUOTE=wahili]
    uh im not really sure why Guam is in there with D.C. and Puerto Rico but it is.[/QUOTE)

Those are US territories and subdivisions. FWIW the us code(title50) defines United States as District of Columbia, Guam, Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands and ALIEN TO THE 50 STATES! (hmm?) Okay I digress...
    Quote Originally Posted by LinuxGuy
    With TomTom a single map can be a single state, or it can be several states. There is one map that has all of California, Washington, Oregon, Nevada, Utah, Idaho, and Montana.

It ships with 8 CDs worth of maps in several variations.

For example to get Utah, you can have:

Utah by itself
    Utah plus Colorado, Wyoming, and Idaho
    Utah plus Nevada, Arizona, and New Mexico
    Utah plus California, Washintong, Oregon, Nevada, Idaho, and Montana.

I noticed that California comes in a single map, or just S. Caliornia, or just N. California, or in various combinations with surrounding states.
    This is exciting. A few more questions...

Is there any advantage to loading the multi-state maps? For example, if I'm planning a trip from MA to PA, can I load each individual state map from MA to PA and have routes generated just as fast? For that matter, can it generate routes across maps? (I assume it can).

If so, what happens at state boundaries? Will it show the next state beyond the edge of the current state, or will it be blank until you actually get to the next state?

This GPS solution sounds ideal. Maps on SD, reasonable map packs, fast routing times, 3D view.
    I wish there was a demo version.
    GPS is THE reason I was so excited about a BT Treo in the first place...
    [QUOTE=treo600kings]Can a GPS device route you via bus, train, walking and such?
    This would be an awesome feature and truly useful for those that are on foot a lot like myself. If maps are loaded, you would think included in them are train, bus ,trolley routes in N.E.S.W. co-ordinates.

Quote Originally Posted by wahili
    uh im not really sure why Guam is in there with D.C. and Puerto Rico but it is.[/QUOTE)

Those are US territories and subdivisions. FWIW the us code(title50) defines United States as District of Columbia, Guam, Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands and ALIEN TO THE 50 STATES! (hmm?) Okay I digress...
    I would highly doubt that. The companies that prepare these maps (TeleAtlas and Navtech) don't really pay attention to transit.
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    who does pay attention to transit.. or at least a "on foot" type direction system.
    who does pay attention to transit.. or at least a "on foot" type direction system.
    If I need to go places by subway in the city, I need to know the closest POI or closest station to find a route in Metro (and that's limited to rail transit). It would be extremely convenient to pick two arbitrary points on a map and get the fastest bus/subway route.
    Well, I followed LinuxGuy & Wahili's footsteps and ordered the bundle. Thanks for all the helpful info. I'll post results when I get the package and test things out.
    er.. uhhh I do.
    Sometimes you may take public transit to circumvent traffic like when I am in NYC for instance. Traffic is a nightmare dude
    Plus with the cost of gas, many are opting for alternative means to travel so there's def. a market for street maps/local transp type apps. (albeit a tedious one)Somebody ought to look out for us asphalt "hikers". When I am driving however, unlike most men I'll bark out a question to a passerby like"yo, how do I get back on I-80? Instead of driving aimlessly around like I know where i'm going with my Haile Berry looking babe riding shotgun leading her down the road to dateHELL!!
    So for those types especially I recommend the TomTom.
    With this pack, can you take the GPS reciever "on foot" ?

Does it have an internal battery of some kind that would allow "on foot" usage ?
    If you used it "on foot", could you throw it in your pocket, or does it have to have a line of site to the sats (maybe even in a horizontal position?) ?
    Are the voice prompts loud and clear in the car?

Thanks
    Heh, sorry for the million questions...
    I read somewhere that the software is locked on to a specific SD card. Is this true of this version as well? I guess ideally everything would be able to coexist in the same SD card as the rest of your stuff...
    How much is it?
    Quote Originally Posted by doyouhaveit
    How much is it?

$299
    Go here to get it.
    http://www.tomtom.com/products/produ...=27&Language=4

"Age is only a number society has inflicted upon us to number our days on Earth."
    ~Stephen Todd
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny
    This is exciting. A few more questions...

Is there any advantage to loading the multi-state maps? For example, if I'm planning a trip from MA to PA, can I load each individual state map from MA to PA and have routes generated just as fast? For that matter, can it generate routes across maps? (I assume it can).

If so, what happens at state boundaries? Will it show the next state beyond the edge of the current state, or will it be blank until you actually get to the next state?

This GPS solution sounds ideal. Maps on SD, reasonable map packs, fast routing times, 3D view.
    I wish there was a demo version.
    GPS is THE reason I was so excited about a BT Treo in the first place...
    I'm not pitching Mapopolis to anyone, but just as an FYI, Mapopolis has all these features as well (multi-map routes and display, map data on SD, map pack includes entire US county-by-county and entire state, 3D view). Routing times across great distances can be slow and sometimes crashes, presumably because of memory issues, or a bug in Mapopolis. It sounds like TomTom is better at this, and also reportedly has better UI design, which is probably true - the map displays on Mapopolis are very good, but the options screens are pretty minimalistic-looking.
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny
    I would highly doubt that. The companies that prepare these maps (TeleAtlas and Navtech) don't really pay attention to transit.
    Actually, you can get GIS data sets for these kinds of things (and just about anything else geo-physical in nature), and there is desktop software out there that will generate routes for you based on it (e.g., hiking/climbing routes based on topo data). But nothing like this exists for PDAs that I'm aware of, just your standard street routing software like TomTom and Mapopolis.
Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast