Page 23 of 33 FirstFirst ... 131819202122232425262728 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by 94explorer
    I don't really need gps but what I would like is something like my yahoo directions.I would like something where I put in the starting address and ending address and it would give me step by step directions how to get from pt. a to pt. b.I saw some software at the store for $30-$40 but I don't know how well it works.Does anyone have any suggestions and also any free software out there would also be great.
    Then again, why don't you literally go to directions in Blazer? Rick Whitt's DA app will collect your starting and ending address and then forward the whole package to MapQuest via Blazer (it just makes the input faster/easier): http://home.triad.rr.com/rlwhitt/palm/#da
    Quote Originally Posted by 94explorer
    I don't really need gps but what I would like is something like my yahoo directions.I would like something where I put in the starting address and ending address and it would give me step by step directions how to get from pt. a to pt. b.I saw some software at the store for $30-$40 but I don't know how well it works.Does anyone have any suggestions and also any free software out there would also be great.

Or how bout good old fashioned directions from Yahoo! on Blazer...
    http://wap.oa.yahoo.com/raw?dp=dd&fc...ip=&fzp&faddr=
    Quote Originally Posted by TREOpalooza
    Or how bout good old fashioned directions from Yahoo! on Blazer...
    http://wap.oa.yahoo.com/raw?dp=dd&fc...ip=&fzp&faddr=
    I agree. Mapopolis at $125 is a great value but not free. Even Mapquest and Yahoo! are not quite free. However, even if there was not charge for Mapopolis it is still expensive in terms of map management and memory. Mapquest and Yahoo! cannot be beat. They are low in both direct cost and management.

I often use Mapquest and then load the directions on my Treo via Avantgo. Way to go Avantgo.
    Quote Originally Posted by DougKoz
    Then again, why don't you literally go to directions in Blazer? Rick Whitt's DA app will collect your starting and ending address and then forward the whole package to MapQuest via Blazer (it just makes the input faster/easier): http://home.triad.rr.com/rlwhitt/palm/#da
    I agree with this too. DA rules! (I often use it in lieu of my Contacts DB, and am doing so exclusively on my 650 if and until I can port my Contacts to the smaller effective memory on the 650.)
    Wheew, just bought TT on buy.com before they raised the price from $232 to $240+!
    I just wanted to share my recent brief, but great, experience with TomTom customer support.

I recently lost the set of CD's for the TomTom s/w and needed to load in some new maps. I contacted TT support via the website. They don't offer the maps via FTP or anything through the web, but they did immediately offer to send me the CD's again. I was afraid I may be charged (which I wouldn't have minded too much), but it was all complimentary. They were always very professional, and sounded like they truly appreciated my business.

Anyway, I realize shipping a few CD's isn't a big deal, but I really enjoyed their support and wanted to share my experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by William*
    Wheew, just bought TT on buy.com before they raised the price from $232 to $240+!
    Yes? And you plan to do what with the $8-?
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray
    Yes? And you plan to do what with the $8-?
    Well more like from $232 to $245 so its $13. Factor in 10% discount and it is a difference. Who in the world wants to pay more, what is the point of your question?
    Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    This program is very flakey, if you try to reinstall the main app on to the card, after already installing it in main memory; it can make the resets occur. Sigh.
    Well, just returned from a business trip to the DC area and TT Nav 2004 was very helpful. I was an avid mapquest user, but the TT user interface and the smooth "play by play" directions with the 3D view were the bomb. No checking for streets or trying to read a paper map etc. On the Interstate traffic was jammed up due to an accident; the roadblock reroute feature worked perfectly. Was able to find several things like restaurants and some specific errand stops with it based on what it already had in it's list, you can load up your "favorites" and "points of interest" for easy access later, it made the travel portion of the trip a breeze. Big buttons on the touchscreen are handy while driving. Smooth, and I received it just in time. For reference, the Leadtek 9537 GPS was $119 and the tomtom was $125, overall well worth it.
    From reading this thread, it seems everyone likes TomTom.

What GPS should I get for the Cingular 650? Ideally, it will be small, super long battery life, accurate, etc... I see bundled packages, but am curious to hear thoughts on what is best. Also, since it uses battery from the 650 as it must be on the whole time, is there a good portable cradle/charger that could sit by the car lighter and work well with this?

Also: Does the TomTom work internationally? For example, travelling around in Italy on a vacation? Hawaii?

Thanks!
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    TomTom is a European company, so they make maps for Europe, but these are seperate from their US product, so you'd have to buy them seperately. As far as a GPS receiver, if you buy a Bluetooth unit, it doesn't run off the Treo's battery but rather has it's own battery and you can optionally use the charger. But with the newer chipsets, you don't even need to worry about the GPS because they don't need line of site, so you can just put them in the glove box (having first charged them at home or in the car), and forget about them. I know TomTom's unit seems to have a 6-hour battery life, or something like that...
    Twitter: @dvdmon

My question was two-fold:

1. What is the best GPS on the market for the 650?

2. When using the GPS, is there a nice cradle for the 650 to charge it while it is being used, and possibly to also allow using Bluetooth Headset?

I know that each device uses its own battery... I am wondering if a wired solution is better, or if anyone has experiences or ideas to share.
    I tried the TomTom bluetooth GPS first. It's nice and small, and works well from batteries, but I ended up switching over to a hardwired solution because I kept forgetting to turn it off after I would use it and so I would end up killing the battery.

In my mind, this is a *major* inconvenience. I wanted a solution that turned on and off automatically based on power from the car.

Also, it was impossible to use both the bluetooth GPS and bluetooth speakerphone at the same time. (This is a Treo 650 limitation)

I just got a Seidio G2500 cradle and a Holux wired GPS receiver and I love them both. The GPS turns on and off when the car starts, the cradle powers the 650 directly, and the voice quality of the Seidio speakerphone is *much* better than my previous solution, a DriveBlue bluetooth speakerphone.

Oh, and it all works very nicely with TomTom Navigator. I use it all the time.

The Seidio cradle is very slick. I would highly recommend it.
    Hello everyone, I just got the TOMTOM and I am loving it except I cant seem to fill up my 1gb card more that 65% full without corrupting the whole data card. Anyone else having this issue? Thoughts?

Slim possibility my card is bad, but I thought I would throw the question out there.

I have a sandisk 1gb card.

Thanks for the help
    Quote Originally Posted by William*
    Well more like from $232 to $245 so its $13. Factor in 10% discount and it is a difference. Who in the world wants to pay more, what is the point of your question?
    buyeretail.com still has it for $229 + shipping. I paid $232.99 shipped.

http://buyeretail.com/product.asp?i=TOMBTPPC
    michael [TX76Mike]
    BB Tour (Verizon) ∙ 16GB iPhone 3GS (AT&T) ∙ Palm Pre (Cricket)
    Follow me on twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by dzenc
    I tried the TomTom bluetooth GPS first. It's nice and small, and works well from batteries, but I ended up switching over to a hardwired solution because I kept forgetting to turn it off after I would use it and so I would end up killing the battery.

In my mind, this is a *major* inconvenience. I wanted a solution that turned on and off automatically based on power from the car.

Also, it was impossible to use both the bluetooth GPS and bluetooth speakerphone at the same time. (This is a Treo 650 limitation)

I just got a Seidio G2500 cradle and a Holux wired GPS receiver and I love them both. The GPS turns on and off when the car starts, the cradle powers the 650 directly, and the voice quality of the Seidio speakerphone is *much* better than my previous solution, a DriveBlue bluetooth speakerphone.

Wonderful response! Any other recommendations to share?

Is this the product you suggest, or other?

http://www.seidioonline.com/ProductD...=B10CG25MTR650
    Quote Originally Posted by dzenc

emtreo, if money is no factor, then the above recommendation sounds very nice. but if you can't afford to shell out another $100+, I've found my setup to be very economical and functional...

i have an extremepda.com vent mount ($30) on which the T650 sits very securely. i use the p1 factory car charger for the T650 when needed (battery life is so good, i don't need it most of the time--less dangling wires!).

i have the tomtom BT receiver always connected to its car charger (included). that way, it doesn't really matter whether i remember to turn it off (although i usually do).

i use the T650's built-in speaker for TT's directions (more than adequate volume). i also sometimes use a cassette adaptor (had one laying around, but you can get one for $6-7--much cheaper than BT speaker, does not occupy BT port and better audio quality) via the headphone port to have the audio pipe in through my car's speakers. by the way, this is a great way to listen your pTunes or audible books. that having been said, i find the T650's speaker to be more convenient and plenty loud and allows me to just listen to music via my car stereo.

i use a SE HBH-660 as a BT headset...

hope this offers a more economical solution ($186 for TT BT Nav [Buy.com with free shipping, $15 off and $25 rebate] + $30 for extremepda.com mount) for a BT GPS solution.
    Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    This is really nice; I guess my serial TomTom won't go to waste. Now, if Seido only had a more detailed comparison chart/wizardů
    Quote Originally Posted by emtreo
    Is this the product you suggest, or other?

http://www.seidioonline.com/ProductD...=B10CG25MTR650
    That's the same Seidio cradle that I have. I bought my GPS receiver elsewhere. (Actually, mine is an older model Holux which I already owned.)

The Seidio GPS that's listed in that ad is based on the same family of chips (SIRF Star II) as the Holux that I am using, so I would expect them to behave similarly. (In fact the TomTom bluetooth GPS is also based on a derivative of the SIRF Star II chipset.)