Page 22 of 33 FirstFirst ... 12171819202122232425262732 ... LastLast
    I'm surprised no one has posted followup to my complaints about the crappy routing in TT .. are you not finding this the case for you ?

I've used mine for about 3 weeks now and while it fills the need of "it will get you there" 90% of the time it takes wacky way out of the way routes.
    Not to many report this problem. Does this make Manopolis a better product?
    Last edited by Ti-maniac; 02/22/2005 at 09:55 AM.
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    I'm actually working on an extensive comparison review between TomTom and Mapopolis's Navcard product which I'll be posting on my blog soon, and yes, that is one thing I've noticed. Not so much that it takes you out of your way as much as the directions themselves are not very helpful in actually directing you. It's a good thing the graphics are good because by voice alone half the time I'd be totally confused about what to do!
    Twitter: @dvdmon

I agree that sometimes tom tom calculates a less traveled path in getting to somewhere. I think that sometimes we/I have preconceived ideas on which way is the shortest way to get to our destination. I have never had tom tom take me in the wrong direction or any obvious goof ups like that. I frequently see tom tom calculate a route that I would not have thought of taking. I have been taking those routes on purpose, to learn new roads any ways around my area.

I have also seen where tom tom will tell me to turn around and go on the route it picks because I decided to take my own route. I think it smartly calculates the "break-even" point because after a bit it will calculate a new route from the direction you are travelling
    car_designer
    Visor Deluxe-->Treo 600-->650 cameraless-->700P-->755P cameraless conversion -->Treo 800W + Celio Redfly all on Sprint
    Parrot ck-3300 handsfree + BT GPS
    Has anyone purchased the software only version bluetooth version? If so where can you get it?
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ti-maniac
    Has anyone purchased the software only version bluetooth version? If so where can you get it?
    I bought the bundle from Amazon. I just tried looking for the software-only product and it was not easy, even using Frugal, mainly because the package is often branded as being "for PocketPC" and it lists all kinds of PocketPC devices. But if you look closely, it also notes Palm devices! Here's a link to one of the stores that sell it:

http://www.storagemedia.com/product.asp?pf_id=70116.085

Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dvdmon
    I bought the bundle from Amazon. I just tried looking for the software-only product and it was not easy, even using Frugal, mainly because the package is often branded as being "for PocketPC" and it lists all kinds of PocketPC devices. But if you look closely, it also notes Palm devices! Here's a link to one of the stores that sell it:

http://www.storagemedia.com/product.asp?pf_id=70116.085
    Hi You can buy it from http://www.tigerGPS.com for only $125. It runs fine on my Cingular 650 with Bluelogger.

-Bigbot
    It mentions Tungsten T3, and Tungsten C. Does it run on a 650? Also it says you need to upgrade to Navigator 2004, does this work ok on the 650?
    Thank you dvdmon and bigbot45,
    bigbot45,
    It doesn not say it is compatible with the 650. Is the image squished on your screen?
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    It mentions Tungsten T3, and Tungsten C. Does it run on a 650? Also it says you need to upgrade to Navigator 2004, does this work ok on the 650?
    PalmOS is PalmOS. Yes, it works. However, I didn't see that about the upgrade. It does say that it has a "free upgrade to Navigator 2004" but I would check out ways of just buying Navigator 2004 directly...

Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    bigbot45,
    It doesn not say it is compatible with the 650. Is the image squished on your screen?
    The resolution is the same on all "high-res" palm units. Even so I was able to get the software working on the Treo 600, even though it has 1/4 of the resolution. Because the screen ration is still an exact square, there was no distortion. I had to turn the phone off in order to run it on the Treo 600, but otherwise it worked fine...

Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    bigbot45,
    Here is what it looks like:
    http://www.ctairstream.com/tomtom.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by riekl
    I'm surprised no one has posted followup to my complaints about the crappy routing in TT .. are you not finding this the case for you ?

I've used mine for about 3 weeks now and while it fills the need of "it will get you there" 90% of the time it takes wacky way out of the way routes.
    Hm. Never really had that -- I've been using it for awhile now, both on long and short trips. It always gets me there -- sometimes through a route I wouldn't have thought of, but never more than a few minutes difference between the route it chooses and the one I would choose knowing everything (including traffic patterns, etc.).
    Quote Originally Posted by riekl

It's been mostly okay for me, but I wish TT would give you the option of the "quickest" route vs. the "shortest" route. Instead, we just get one route, whether we like it or not. I know you can do the "alternate route" selection, but that seems to just take you off highways if your trip has them in the original route plan.

It looks like the new TomTom Mobile 5 version will even have the choices of best bike route or "on foot" route. That would be cool!
    I spoke to TT and Mobile 5 will be available ONLY in Europe.
    Just got my TT Nav 2004 from tigergps.com for use on my 650 (next day shipping, as advertised--great service). Works great, minimum hassle in picking up GPS from my Leadtek 9537. The only weirdness after an evening of testing it out is my street is an out of the way condo community and the loop road is incorrectly shown in TT, as is you could not use TT to get to my home. I am using an ATP 60x 1GB SD card and it all boots up as quick as any app does. I tried Mapopolis and I think there is a world of difference, TT is easy to use and smooth, whereas Map can generally *get the job done* but it was very cumbersome. Going to give this thing a workout on a business trip later this week. I hope there's a way to get addresses straight from my contacts list...
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    Can the TomTom GPS receiver be used with a notebook via a standard BT antenna? (Such as is used for DUN connections?)

-D
    I don't really need gps but what I would like is something like my yahoo directions.I would like something where I put in the starting address and ending address and it would give me step by step directions how to get from pt. a to pt. b.I saw some software at the store for $30-$40 but I don't know how well it works.Does anyone have any suggestions and also any free software out there would also be great.
    Quote Originally Posted by TREOpalooza
    It's been mostly okay for me, but I wish TT would give you the option of the "quickest" route vs. the "shortest" route. Instead, we just get one route, whether we like it or not. I know you can do the "alternate route" selection, but that seems to just take you off highways if your trip has them in the original route plan.

It looks like the new TomTom Mobile 5 version will even have the choices of best bike route or "on foot" route. That would be cool!
    You can always tinker with sections of the route by going into the map view and plonking down some waypoints. This works well for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by 94explorer
    I don't really need gps but what I would like is something like my yahoo directions.I would like something where I put in the starting address and ending address and it would give me step by step directions how to get from pt. a to pt. b.I saw some software at the store for $30-$40 but I don't know how well it works.Does anyone have any suggestions and also any free software out there would also be great.
    TomTom does this (through its "A->B" feature), as does Mapopolis (by setting the starting address to something other than "current GPS location"). I don't know of any applications that don't support GPS that do this (since adding GPS support is trivial once you have a complete mapping application).