Page 20 of 33 FirstFirst ... 10151617181920212223242530 ... LastLast
    OK, so did a little research on TomTom Mobile. It turns out that the product appears to be only available in Europe and indeed it was created for "smartphones", not ones with more conventional full PDAs incorporated. From the above press release, I'm not so sure that TT Mobile 5 will be any different in that it seems to allude to only Europe. I'm going to keep my Navigator!
    I posted here where tomtom said today that the official 650 CDs would be released next week for software only purchase.
    I got the TomTom Navigator 2004 (Bluetooth GPS for Palm) today (Tuesday @ 9:30am) from buy.com via 2 day express (Ordered Saturday night)!

Install went well but was confused when it took a while (20 minutes) for the GPS devices to connect. It may have connected sooner if I hadn't kept unplugging it thinking it needed to reset.

Road test went great. I was truely impressed when I deviated from the planned route and the TomTom software immediately rerouted according to my new direction.

I picked up a SD card reader for my computer for $30 at the computer store. Install was plug and play with no drivers needed.
    At first I used HotSynch via bluetooth to load my 66MB map (California). 1MB per minute. Then I used the following instructions to speed up the process:
    Maps can be in either of the three possible memory locations; the main memory, the Internal storage memory or an SD memory card.....
    ....2) The CD installer can install a map directly to an SD memory card via a memory card reader attached to the PC by selecting the "Other location (Advanced)" option.....

I updated to 4.42 with no problems.

I will be looking forward to more Treo 650 compadible software upgrades. It will be interesting to see how TomTom improves on this fantastic GPS package.
    c a r l n u n e s
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > iPhone( ) > Treo 755p
    WATCH THIS BEFORE POSTING
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    Success!

Some of you may remember that I was trying to get TomTom Navigator working on a Treo 600. Today I was successful! I went back to the map install and this time I did see a third option for Other (Advanced) and was able to install directly to the card via the Card Export program that makes the Treo into a card reader of sorts. It was a lot faster, although it still took maybe 5-10 minutes to transfer a 9MB map of Virginia.

I attached it to my Haicom GPS mouse that I was using with Mapopolis. At first it seemed to have a hard time figuring out how to get a GPS signal, but eventually it did figure it out. Everything seemed to work flawlessly until I mapped a route to work. As I started to get close to a turn, the my Treo would reset. This happened at least 4 or 5 times before I finally decided to try something. I reset the phone and didn't connect to any network. Once I did that no more resets!

Everything worked great. Even on the Treo 600 it created my route in about 3 seconds (compared to many minutes with Mapopolis). It also got the directions much better near where I work, which is a military base. But the voice prompts I actually thought were LESS helpful than Mapopolis. Stuff like "Exit Ahead" were too vague, and stuff like "Keep Right then Exit" or "Keep Right then Enter Highway" were just confusing. It would say, "After 200 yards, do X" but often by the time it got done saying this I was already there. In general that was the biggest issue I had with the voice prompts - it doesn't give you enough warning, and it also does it in yards as opposed to fractions of a mile like Mapopolis, which I prefer. I know people here have complained of the short warning, but I though I would look for a way in preferences to make it warn you sooner or in mile fractions but these don't seem to be settable.

The graphics, even though they are on a T600, are still much better than Mapopolis. When I was browsing a map with POI's, I almost felt like I was in Google Maps, the way you can drag around, zoom in and out, etc, is similar. Everything is very responsive, even on the relatively slow T600. Reroutes, as people have mentioned, get recalculated almost instantly, and if the GPS is slightly off, it figures out what road you are on very quickly. I'm just very impressed, as others have been, and especially since this is a T600 and apparently I'm the first person that I've heard to have gotten it working on this - or at least the first person to post about it.

So, my biggest question goes back to my issues with resetting. If this is going to make it so I can't use the phone during a trip, it's not a huge deal as I have an old motorola I can swap my SIM into during a trip, but obviously it would be a lot more convenient. My question is whether these resets are something with the T600 itself, or with something I'm running. In particular my sense is that it might have something to do with these other apps that are accessing the network constantly - namely Chatteremail (I'm currently useing 1.0RC2), and Verichat (currently using 2.58B). I know I need to test out turning just the phone on and not the GPRS radio, but I thought some of you might be able to confirm whether it at least works with these apps on a T650? The app works fine with these things running as long as it's not plugged into the GPS and/or traveling a route. I have it here in my office now and can do whatever I want without resets while these other apps are running.

Anyway, thanks again to everyone for the help in getting this thing set up. Thankfully it gives me something to obsess while my phone still is enroute to my house. At least I can get familiar with this new app an not have two new devices to figure out at once!
    Twitter: @dvdmon

I'm glad to see that you got TomTom working. I am still waiting on buying some software. I'm not sure how much I would use it.
    Quote Originally Posted by xenophonite
    $223 here $232.99 shipped (FedEX 2-day)
    michael [TX76Mike]
    BB Tour (Verizon) ∙ 16GB iPhone 3GS (AT&T) ∙ Palm Pre (Cricket)
    Follow me on twitter
    I just got in my Tomtom Navigator and it has no Mac support at all in terms of getting the application and maps to my T650 via Mac OS X. I have Virtual PC but when I Hotsync, Mac OS X takes over the desktop. Has anyone gotten Tomtom to work on Mac OS X? Thanks in advance.
    Quote Originally Posted by acousticbiker
    OK, to further clarify: if I just wanted to charge the TT unit without using it, can I simply plug it in to the charger without powering it on?

If so, then this all makes sense, as with most electronic devices, one must power it on to use it independent of whether it's charging or not.
    Yes you can do that
    Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    Q about install
    So, what I'm gathering so far, is you don't even need the Treo connected at all to get maps -- that is: you can use a card reader and a card and get all of the maps installed that way. Oh, I suppose you do need the application, but is that a separate install process?

Approximately how long is the install for x MB/maps? Connected-card-reader vs. connected-Treo?

Q about usage
    I couldn't find this anywhere -- has anyone used a Bluetooth headset while driving/navigating, or does the Treo only support one BT device at a time?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by skfny
    Now that I have my TomTom, I can confirm that this DOES NOT work. I'm not exactly sure how they install apps without first going through HotSync, but they DO!!!! Nothing was in my install folder when I went through setup.

BTW, TomTom is possibly the greatest add-on to the Treo.
    Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    I'm about to do this today; try, in "Settings" of Virtual PC, to 'capture' the USB port for the Treo.

Is there any way to turn off conduits before syncing? Can't seem to do that without a registered username, it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by Frenzytom
    I just got in my Tomtom Navigator and it has no Mac support at all in terms of getting the application and maps to my T650 via Mac OS X. I have Virtual PC but when I Hotsync, Mac OS X takes over the desktop. Has anyone gotten Tomtom to work on Mac OS X? Thanks in advance.
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by iomatic
    Q about install
    So, what I'm gathering so far, is you don't even need the Treo connected at all to get maps -- that is: you can use a card reader and a card and get all of the maps installed that way. Oh, I suppose you do need the application, but is that a separate install process?
    Yes, you can just browse maps on the navigator app on your Treo without being connected to any GPS. The map install and the application install are two different steps. You delete maps with the navigator application on the Treo and add new ones with the CDs. The CD never actually installs anything on your compter (as far as I know), but each CD has an installer application that starts when you insert the CD. This installer app gives you choices about installing new voices, maps, etc. You pick which you want to install, but if it's on a different CD (there are 8 I think), then it just prompts you to insert that one and then it installs.

Approximately how long is the install for x MB/maps? Connected-card-reader vs. connected-Treo?
    Well, I haven't tried it with a card reader, but when I tried this with my Treo 600 (the 650 may be faster), you have the option to install it directly (instead of through a hotsynch), which I'm guessing creates a kind of card-reader connection to the Treo's card. When I tried it via hotsynch it was so slow it was unusable. It took like 5-10 minutes per meg! With the direct install it was probably under 1 minute per meg, maybe as little as 30 seconds per meg. I don't have a seperate card reader at the moment, so I can't test how much faster it is. As far as map size, I downloaded the map of Virginia which was 9MB. Others have mentioned multistate maps being 100-200MB, and I believe you can cram the entire country onto a 1GB card with a little room to spare...

Sorry, don't know the answer to your other question.
    Twitter: @dvdmon

Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    Thanks for that. I meant, you don't even need the Treo connected to install the maps, I mean, if you used a card reader?

Thanks anyway for all the information!
    I installed the maps using a card reader. It did seem slightly faster. Also.. Once you install the maps, you can copy them to a backup directory on your PC. Then you don't have to reinstall them if you need to add them again later...

Each map is in a separate folder... Colorado-Map
    California-Map
    etc..
    Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    That's good to know. I'd rather move them off in an easy-to-use, easy-to-find manner, as us Mac users (and I'm sure you PC users) would prefer to manage them that way.

Thanks!
    That's good to know. I'd rather move them off in an easy-to-use, easy-to-find manner, as us Mac users (and I'm sure you PC users) would prefer to manage them that way.

Thanks!
    I still had to install the maps the first time using the Windows installer..(directly to the card reader). I think the installer collects the files needed and puts them in the directories (not 100% sure on this).
    has anyone heard about a release date for the treo 650 version? Hate to spend the money until its released. Too cheap to pay an upgrade fee.
    Quote Originally Posted by cmccarter
    has anyone heard about a release date for the treo 650 version? Hate to spend the money until its released. Too cheap to pay an upgrade fee.

There already is an updated version (4.42) that is geared for the 650 and Tungsten T5.

And it's no extra $$ to download the update.
    Quote Originally Posted by TREOpalooza
    There already is an updated version (4.42) that is geared for the 650 and Tungsten T5.

And it's no extra $$ to download the update.

Yeah...that's the same version for the T5.

When people with the Treo 650 started installing the T5 version a while ago, TomTom kept saying that there were issues with the T5 version on a Treo 650. They said there was going to be a new version.

Then a few weeks later they just update the description to include the Treo 650.
    Also... There is still an issue (as far as I know). When you make changes to your settings in TomTom on a Treo 650. The changed files don't get updated in the Backup Directory on your PC. It seems like TomTom isn't updated the "modified date" on the settings files, so they never get backed up, unless you delete the originals on the PC.
    I received the TomTom bundle from Buy.com yesterday ($211 incl shipping no tax) and wow, what a toy. I've been playing around with it and am very impressed. I purchased it because of the raves it's been receiving in this thread.

I had a couple of install problems. Initially when the voice choice came up the Treo would soft reboot. That was solved after a hard reset and when I loaded the voice and the map and the program without syncing each one first. I think that was mentioned as a fix further up in this thread.

I do have a question for those of you who are "experienced". How long does the battery in the GPS last before it needs a recharge. Anyone run it down yet? Also, I haven't yet found the directions for the GPS. I'm curious as to what the other inputs are for in the back of the GPS. Anyone found instructions (other then in the quick start manual which explains the lights on the front of the GPS)?

Last question, any of you use the TomTOm GPS unit with another software program for geocaching? This was mentioned briefly above in this thread but I don't think any particular software was mentioned.

Thanks to all for the good insight into this product.