Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
    Well I'm excited.

Wahili: Canada maps are pretty low detail in my experience, but I think Toronto is one of the better detailed areas. I wouldn't expect San Juan to even exist in GPS map form, most places outside of continental US and Western Europe are largely inexistent as navigatable GPS maps. For example, no navigatable maps of any country in South America exists as far as I have been able to find, let alone central american ones. In fact, I don't think there are navigatable maps of Mexico even... so I would be very surprised if there was one for Puerto Rico.
    Quote Originally Posted by wahili
    also does Puerto Rico and Ontario come with ?
    Canada, Yes. Puerto Rico, No.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    puerto ricos part of the US kinda sorta..though and i see here it says available along with canada.
    i just wanted to know if you get the software hardware package if it comes with those maps of if they are extra and if they are extra where are they?

http://www.tomtom.com/products/secti...=34&Language=4

uh im not really sure why Guam is in there with D.C. and Puerto Rico but it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by KBKB
    Hi Linux,

During the use of GPS, when the phone rings, will the GPS get disconnected ?
    I tried Mapopolis and the software continues to run during a phone call. Haven't tried Tom Tom.
    Woah, it IS there. I'm surprised! That's cool. I wish the whole world was available in GPS maps just in case...
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by belerek
    Linuxguy,

This is really good news. Just to confirm, is this the bundle that you bought from buy.com, and for $235?
    http://www.buy.com/retail/product.as...8&loc=101&sp=1

Also, are the installation instructions pretty clear?

Much thanks from this BT GPS noob.
    Yeah, that's the one I ordered.

The instructions were typical of techno gadgets. It was pretty straight forward. I did get hotsync errors when I installed the application, the application update, and the map, but the errors were harmless as the data was installed OK.
  7.    #27  
    sounds excellent. thanks for the heads up. i will be waiting to hear more on this thread and possible bugs. 50k stub on the handheld sounds great!

any idea how accurate the unit is in yards and whether it loses the signal to the GPS ever?

also have u tried putting the unit your glove compartment or something that isnt on the dashboard just to check if it still works like that?
    I've only had it for a day, but it seems as least as accurate as a garmin handheld unit I used last year (it had no navigation maps).

I get no GPS reception inside my metal and concrete office building, but anywhere in my car, SUV or in my home I have no troubles.
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    hey Linux guy... so like... on the website, it says it may take up to 20 days to recieve the T5 update.... what gives ? what did u do to get the T5 upgrade???
    http://upgrade.tomtom.com/ttn3_upgrade/index.php
  9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by digitaldan
    How does it look on the 320x320 display, any chances on getting a sceen shot of both the 3-D view and 2D?

I'm getting this under the tree from my spouse for x-mas (even tho I'm waiting for my GSM 650).
    I snapped some pictures with a digital camera that I'll post soon. I didn't snap any 2D pics. The screen looks great, very readable.

The TomTom interface has some cool zooming features too.
  10.    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by KBKB
    Hi Linux,

During the use of GPS, when the phone rings, will the GPS get disconnected ?
    Well, the TomTom app exits, but when the call ended, I launched TomTom again and after 3-4 seconds it synced up with the GPS unit again and continued giving directions.
  11.    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny
    Does it generate real-time directions? I'd love it if someone could test something for me:

When I use Mapopolis, and try to generate a route between Union County, NJ, and Westchester County, NY, it takes almost 5 minutes to process, and then it crashes. I read somewhere on GPSPassion that TomTom would generate the same route in 20 seconds. Can you confirm this?
    I don't have the north east map set installed on my SD card. I did try a few georgraphically distant locations within Utah and the routes generated in less than 10 seconds.
  12.    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by xenophonite
    Will the map open directly from SD card?
    I have the app and a map installed on the SD card. There is small 50kb stub that resides on main memory.

I noticed no delays running from SD (I have a SanDisk Ultra II card).
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    OH heres something fun. if you have never bought anything at Buy.com or u can get a friend or spouse to buy it for you click on this link...

http://www.couponmountain.com/frame....58312&c=&m=289

itll generate a $15 off coupon for you bringing the price down to $220!

$226.06 total after shipping. just ordered mine ^_^
    Last edited by wahili; 12/10/2004 at 12:10 AM.
  14.    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by NSiNSiNSi
    YES!!! This is the best news I've heard in a while.
    I don't want to overwhelm LinuxGuy with questions, but do you see any indications that the software may work with other BT GPS units besides the included one?
    Yes, in the "Specify your GPS hardware" configuration page it gives the choices:

TomTom Wireless GPS
    TomTom Cable GPS
    Other Bluetooth GPS
    Other Cable NMEA GPS
  15.    #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by jimf
    LinuxGuy: You mentioned having a single map loaded at a time, but multiple maps "available". So you can't display multiple maps concurrently (e.g., if you're sitting near the edge of one and trying to locate an address)? I hope that's not true, because I use this all the time in Mapopolis, and it would be awkward to deal with one map at a time. Mapopolis gives you the option of autoloading all bordering maps when loading one particular map, and I use this to load all the bordering county maps.
    With TomTom a single map can be a single state, or it can be several states. There is one map that has all of California, Washington, Oregon, Nevada, Utah, Idaho, and Montana.

It ships with 8 CDs worth of maps in several variations.

For example to get Utah, you can have:

Utah by itself
    Utah plus Colorado, Wyoming, and Idaho
    Utah plus Nevada, Arizona, and New Mexico
    Utah plus California, Washintong, Oregon, Nevada, Idaho, and Montana.

I noticed that California comes in a single map, or just S. Caliornia, or just N. California, or in various combinations with surrounding states.
  16.    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by bestoverall
    I would like to know if the call drops while using GPS. I used Mapapolis and Garmin iQue. I think iQue is superior in giving GPS directions (more accurate and tells the exit numbers with more frequent voice prompts), TomTom really outshines everything else with their 3D rendering. I haven't been able to try TomTom on 650 yet as I'm still waiting for the bluetooth GPS receiver.
    When a call comes in you get the normal "answer" or "ignore" prompt.
  17.    #37  
    wow i think im gonna have to do this. i dont think i have a choice. is there more than one person to confirm this def works on the treo 650 without conflicts? seriously this sounds almost too smooth sailin to be true!

someone also said there is a treo 650 version of the software comin out soon (3 weeks or so) i wonder if we should all wait?
    I'll post some pics in a minute. The internet sure makes people suspicious.
  18.    #38  
    someone also said there is a treo 650 version of the software comin out soon (3 weeks or so) i wonder if we should all wait?
    This I'm curious about, since the current stuff I've had no troubles with including no reboots or freezes.
  19.    #39  
    also does Puerto Rico and Ontario come with ?
    I noticed all of Canada included with the maps, I didn't notice Puerto Rico.
  20.    #40  
    hey Linux guy... so like... on the website, it says it may take up to 20 days to recieve the T5 update.... what gives ? what did u do to get the T5 upgrade???
    http://upgrade.tomtom.com/ttn3_upgrade/index.php
    I went to www.tomtom.com

then "Support"

then "Find Updates"

Then I clicked on the link titled, "Update December 2004 - TomTom Navigator 2004 for Palm (improved support for PalmOne Tungsten T5)".

http://support-us.tomtom.com/cgibin/...cGFnZT0x&p_li=
Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast