Page 19 of 33 FirstFirst ... 9141516171819202122232429 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by acousticbiker
    So TomTom will only charge if you initially power it on when connecting the cig charger? This would be rather unusual for an electronic device.
    No it will charge just fine with the device off .. not sure what hes talking about.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ti-maniac
    I also purchased the Holux GR-231 which is why I have to wait for the TomTom Software. How and where did you get the TomTom Software-Only? It is not for sale?
    I wrote to customer service asking why it was out of stock everywhere, and they arranged to take the order directly at TomTom ("for a limited number"). Write their customer service and say you heard it was available directly from them and ask how to get it, they may call you and accept your order.

However, you should be aware that: 1. they charge full list ($149), and 2. they ship via USPS from the East Coast which seems to take about 7 days.
    Quote Originally Posted by dvdmon
    Ok, I got the TomTom GPS with maps and software and tried setting things up but failed. Just to let you know, I'm trying to install it on a Treo 600. That's right! I know everyone here is talking about the T650, but mine isn't going to arrive until Friday, so I thought I'd at least try it out on the T600. I got the program installed fine, but the problem is installing maps. When I try to install maps I choose the storage card option and then when I sync, it transfer so slowly it's ridiculous! It's like 10 minutes per MB, and since most maps are many megs, I don't want to be waiting around for over an hour for one puny map. I have Card Export, so can transfer maps directly, but the only way I can figure out to transfer maps is by the install app that comes on each CD. Going into the CD, there are cab files, but no streightforward files that I can just transfer over. Am I missing something or when you install maps this way to the Treo 650 does it get installed much faster? Has anyone actually tried this on a Treo 600 or am I just banging my head against the wall?
    Heh. First, I think it doesn't work on the Treo 600 because of resolution (I could be wrong).

Second, don't try installing the maps using the "Install to SD card" option for the maps. If you've got an SD card, you should have an SD card reader/writer (they're less then $20 from many places these days) that plugs into the USB port on your computer. One of the TomTom options (the third one, I think) is install directly to card. Use that rather than installing through the card interface on HotSync. That only takes a minute or so rather than the time you're talking about.

Alternatively, the fourth option is "Install to Directory". Do that, then copy the contents of that directory over to the root of your SD card when you get the USB SD reader/writer.
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DougKoz
    Heh. First, I think it doesn't work on the Treo 600 because of resolution (I could be wrong).

Second, don't try installing the maps using the "Install to SD card" option for the maps. If you've got an SD card, you should have an SD card reader/writer (they're less then $20 from many places these days) that plugs into the USB port on your computer. One of the TomTom options (the third one, I think) is install directly to card. Use that rather than installing through the card interface on HotSync. That only takes a minute or so rather than the time you're talking about.

Alternatively, the fourth option is "Install to Directory". Do that, then copy the contents of that directory over to the root of your SD card when you get the USB SD reader/writer.
    Doug, thanks for the response. Not sure if the resolution is a problem. The app seems to work and display ok (without any maps) on the 600. As far as a reader the Card Export application basically makes the Treo itself into a card reader. But the only options that come up for installing maps are Main Memory and Storage Card. That's it. Choosing the Storage Card Option makes the process ridiculously slow. I haven't tried main memory because I of course don't have huge amounts of free memory on my Treo. There's also no "Install to Directory" option. That would be great, but of course it's not there! Maybe I am using an older version than you are? The CD's I got say Navigator 2004, but I'm not sure where to look for a version number - I've tried looking in the app on the Treo itself but it doesn't issue any menues when I hit the menu key. Maybe all of this is due to not having specific Treo 650 software on my computer, we'll see. Just thought I could allay some of my anxiousness for getting that by playing with this
    Twitter: @dvdmon

Quote Originally Posted by DougKoz
    I wrote to customer service asking why it was out of stock everywhere, and they arranged to take the order directly at TomTom ("for a limited number"). Write their customer service and say you heard it was available directly from them and ask how to get it, they may call you and accept your order.

However, you should be aware that: 1. they charge full list ($149), and 2. they ship via USPS from the East Coast which seems to take about 7 days.
    I just sent an email through support. Could you tell me how to write "customer service" as there is no address on their website for this.

Thanks,
    Saw this on GPSPassion.com. Maybe this is why we're able to get TT Navigator '04 for $227. Is TT coming out with a NEW AND IMPROVED version soon?

http://www.gpspassion.com/fr/news.asp?cat=98
    OK I have just purchased the TomTom Bluetooth GPS from Buy.com for my T650 after spending the better part of an hour reading this thread... thanks to all that contributed...

I already have the Mapopolis Wired GPS system for my old T600 which I thought was soso... My main reason for switching to TomTom is the search time and route planning issues with Mapopolis - in a word SLOW...

I look forward to using the TomTom system and getting route maps displayed before I get to my destination!!

I now have a wired GPS solution for sale for a T600 with Mapopolis and maps if anyone is mad enough to want it...
    "If this were a dictatorship, it would be a heck of a lot easier - just so long as I'm the dictator."
    George W Bush

"The victor will never be asked if he told the truth"
    "Make the lie big, make it simple, keep saying it, and eventually they will believe it"
    Adolf Hitler

"I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts"
    Abraham Lincoln
    Just wanted to let everyone know Amazon.com has dropped the TomTom Navigator 2004 for the Palm price to $239.39 w/ free shipping. They are a great retailer for shipping and service. Ordered it yesterday and looking forward to using it. Thanks for all your tips.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...bosnation0e-20
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Frenzytom
    Just wanted to let everyone know Amazon.com has dropped the TomTom Navigator 2004 for the Palm price to $239.39 w/ free shipping. They are a great retailer for shipping and service. Ordered it yesterday and looking forward to using it. Thanks for all your tips.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...bosnation0e-20
    Man, I just ordered it on Friday and payed $10 more. If only Amazon had one of those price-change guarentees like Circuit City...

Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    Question:

If you choose install (handheld or storage card), can you NOT sync, and find them in your install folder, and copy them... and where is that on Windows (I know where it is on Macs)...?

Thanks.
    I actually saw their price over $15 higher a few days ago and I wrote to let them know that Buy.com and Office Depot (Amazon affiliate) was cheaper and lo and behold, they dropped it to compete with them.

Actually Amazon.com does price match their own prices. They have an unwritten rule that if you buy something from them and within a reasonable timeframe (I did it up to over a month), they will beat their own price. Go to your item in "Your Account" and then go to the item you want to price match and then contact customer service with your order number and let them know.

A tip to older orders is to go into your account and see your old items you purchased and just see the prices and if they are lower, they will most certainly credit you the difference. They have time and again credited me back the difference with no questions asked. I can't say that for any other online retailer.

Quote Originally Posted by dvdmon
    Man, I just ordered it on Friday and payed $10 more. If only Amazon had one of those price-change guarentees like Circuit City...
    Last edited by Frenzytom; 02/15/2005 at 01:01 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by iomatic
    Question:

If you choose install (handheld or storage card), can you NOT sync, and find them in your install folder, and copy them... and where is that on Windows (I know where it is on Macs)...?

Thanks.
    Now that I have my TomTom, I can confirm that this DOES NOT work. I'm not exactly sure how they install apps without first going through HotSync, but they DO!!!! Nothing was in my install folder when I went through setup.

BTW, TomTom is possibly the greatest add-on to the Treo.
    Quote Originally Posted by riekl
    No it will charge just fine with the device off .. not sure what hes talking about.
    This is what hes talking about:

If I use the TomTom in the car, I must switch it on, it won't turn on automatically when it receives power. This is annoying, but not that much of a problem. HOWEVER: when I reach my destination, I'd like the TomTom to turn off when the power is switched off instead of continuing to run on batteries.
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Frenzytom
    I actually saw their price over $15 higher a few days ago and I wrote to let them know that Buy.com and Office Depot (Amazon affiliate) was cheaper and lo and behold, they dropped it to compete with them.

Actually Amazon.com does price match their own prices. They have an unwritten rule that if you buy something from them and within a reasonable timeframe (I did it up to over a month), they will beat their own price. Go to your item in "Your Account" and then go to the item you want to price match and then contact customer service with your order number and let them know.

A tip to older orders is to go into your account and see your old items you purchased and just see the prices and if they are lower, they will most certainly credit you the difference. They have time and again credited me back the difference with no questions asked. I can't say that for any other online retailer.

Thanks! I called em up and got back $12.50

Quote Originally Posted by shady
    This is what hes talking about:

If I use the TomTom in the car, I must switch it on, it won't turn on automatically when it receives power. This is annoying, but not that much of a problem. HOWEVER: when I reach my destination, I'd like the TomTom to turn off when the power is switched off instead of continuing to run on batteries.
    OK, to further clarify: if I just wanted to charge the TT unit without using it, can I simply plug it in to the charger without powering it on?

If so, then this all makes sense, as with most electronic devices, one must power it on to use it independent of whether it's charging or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by TREOpalooza
    Saw this on GPSPassion.com. Maybe this is why we're able to get TT Navigator '04 for $227. Is TT coming out with a NEW AND IMPROVED version soon?

http://www.gpspassion.com/fr/news.asp?cat=98
    Found this on the web: (btw, it says it is a "spring 2005" release, which suggests to me that it is still in the development phase and will probably be out around mid-year.)

TomTom Launches First Truly Personal Navigation Solution

~TomTom MOBILE 5 is the world’s first navigation solution for getting from A to B by car, walking or even on bike ~

Cannes, 14 February 2005 – TomTom, Europe’s leading navigation solution provider, today announces the launch of the world’s first ever truly personal navigation system for advanced mobile phones with the launch of TomTom MOBILE 5.

Using a new TomTom GPS receiver, incorporating the latest high sensitivity technology, TomTom MOBILE 5 provides an easy to use and smart navigation solution that helps consumers to find their way with their smartphones. This provides door to door, accurate navigation anywhere in your country and even around city centers and towns whether walking, driving or cycling.

“TomTom MOBILE 5 is a major step forward in terms of personal navigation and responds to the growing opportunities in the smartphone market.” said Harold Goddijn, TomTom’s chief executive officer. “For the first time satellite navigation has been extended outside the car and into the hands of anyone who needs to find their way from A to B whichever mode of transport they choose. This is another step forward for TomTom and will make life easier for consumers and underlines our position as the market leader for personal navigation solutions.”

WHAT’S NEW:
    Incorporating TomTom’s award-winning easy-to-use navigation software, the latest version includes:
    • Find the quickest route with an estimated time of arrival
    • Route planning: for fastest, shortest, pedestrian, bicycle and moped routes
    • Postcode support (UK & Netherlands only)
    • Full integration into the mobile phone menu to allow navigation to a destination from the contacts stored in a mobile phone
    • Supports real-time traffic and weather alerts
    • Full itinerary support, plan routes to multiple destinations and add stopping points on the journey
    • Download extra maps as and when they are needed

Other features include: the ability to make calls while continuing to get visual route instructions; 3D map view; night and day view settings and customizable Points of Interest (POI) and additional maps, downloadable from http://www.tomtom.com.

HOW IT WORKS:
    Installing TomTom MOBILE 5 simply involves inserting a memory card with pre-installed maps and software into a smartphone. TomTom’s new Bluetoothtm wireless GPS receiver (a small, lightweight device that can be placed in the pocket or a bag) connects automatically to the smartphone. This solution allows greater portability and convenience for using the mobile phone both inside and outside of the car as well as spoken turn-by-turn instructions. The automatic re-routing feature allows for safe and quick redirecting when needed.

Pricing and availability
    TomTom MOBILE 5 comes as a bundle on a wide-range of popular smartphones. Prices will vary according to handset and subscription. TomTom MOBILE 5 will be in available in Spring 2005.

TomTom MOBILE 5 is initially compatible with:

• Nokia: 6630, 6600, 6260, 6670, 7610, 7710, 9300, 9500
    • Orange: SPV C500, E200
    • Q-Tek: 8010, 8020, 8060, 8080
    • Motorola: MPx 220
    • T-Mobile: SDA
    • iMate: SP3
    • Treo: 650
    • Gizmondo
    I'm a bit confused. This sounds like a slightly different product than Navigator, aimed at the smartphone crowd (a la Windows Mobile, not PDA phones like the T650), although the T650 is listed. It sounds like there are some great features that surpass Navigator. I wonder if current Navigator customers will get special upgrading prices. I just purchased Navigator through Buy.com but haven't recieved it yet. I'm wondering whether I should hold out?
    Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    It has preinstalled maps! dang! that's what I want... I wonder when the actual release date is...
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    Er, well, "Smartphone" has become a generic term, and I think you could call Windows Mobile Phones PDA Phones as well. Besides, TomTom makes the same navigator software for both PocketPC and Palm, so why wouldn't this next version come out on both?

Another thing to watch out for - TomTom is a European company and this announcement was made at an event in France. It's quite possible that this only applies to the European product. Apparently, there is a European product line called TomTom Mobile (possible at version 3 right now -- maybe it hasn't been updated in a while?) in addition to the european version of TomTom Navigator.

I believe that TomTom Navigator was just recently upgraded from version 3 to version 4, so this announcment could just be a corresponding upgrade to TomTom Mobile to bring it in line with the Navigator product. Of course the version number of 5 does suggest that it is "newer" than Navigator version 4.

Fortunately, it seems like TomTom uses a similar core engine in all of their products, so it is possible that these features will someday appear in a US product, but who knows what the timing of such a product would be.