Page 18 of 33 FirstFirst ... 8131415161718192021222328 ... LastLast
    One thing that I don't like, is that if you use the car power adapter, the GPS unit doesn't switch off when the adapter powers off, therefore you always have to remember to turn it off. I've hidden mine away in the glove box (convertible car - don't want to leave it out) so it's easy to miss.

Also, I still haven't found a decent mounting solution for the phone yet (preferably one that powers both the phone and the GPS. Does anyone have any ideas?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ti-maniac
    I will wait until the release of the software CD product. Or get manopolis. But I will NOT surcome to having to buy the GPS hardware unit in order to get the software. Tomtom was supposed to release the software in Dec. and then said Jan 1, and then said Jan 15, and then said Jan 30, and are now saying Feb. 15...............
    Sounds like P1.
    Quote Originally Posted by shady
    One thing that I don't like, is that if you use the car power adapter, the GPS unit doesn't switch off when the adapter powers off, therefore you always have to remember to turn it off. I've hidden mine away in the glove box (convertible car - don't want to leave it out) so it's easy to miss.

Also, I still haven't found a decent mounting solution for the phone yet (preferably one that powers both the phone and the GPS. Does anyone have any ideas?
    Regarding the first statement, does this apply only if you had the GPS unit's power on and then charged? Or is the unit's power turned on automatically when charged and then not turned off when the charger is no longer charging?

Regarding the latter question, I have found that the air vent mount from extremepda.com has worked really well for me. Does not charge, but the ones that do cost so much more! It's simple enough just to use the p1 car charger when needed...
    Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    Thanks acousticbiker. I already have a Belkin GPS BT receiver, but for that price... what kind of power adapter/plug does the TomTom BT have?

Okay, proclipusa by far the cleanest mount availible. ProClip has a lot of super clean snap on dash mount solutions for just about every auto. I am using the Treo 600 mount and it works great with my Treo 650. My Treo 600 mount came with a small plastic hook on the right side. I use it to take the tension off the charger cable when charging the phone in the car. I also charge my phone over night, at home, to peak charge it and avoid battery failure( QUOTE FROM TREO 650 MANUAL: Charge your Treo whenever you’re at your desk, or charge it overnight each day. The Lithium Ion (Li-Ion) battery has a much longer useful life when it is topped off frequently, rather than charging it after it is fully drained.). When I do have to charge on the go it is temporary. Makes for a cleaner look when no cables are attached.
    I just ordered the TomTom Navigator Bluetooth and will stash it in the center console where I have installed a custom powerpoint(cigar lighter). My Tahoe has a neat center console lid that has a pocket on the inside where I can safely store the TomTom GPS while charging. You can get these powerpoints at Radio Shack for about $3.00. Connect them to any 12 volt feed and run it to where ever you want in your car(I would guess that wiring to your glove compartment would be easy ).
    Just an idea that I'm using... Thanks for reading, hope this helps someone.
    c a r l n u n e s
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > iPhone( ) > Treo 755p
    WATCH THIS BEFORE POSTING
    #1) I concur I just used the proclip mount for my trip to detroit it is awesome ! Took about 20 seconds to install as well !

#2) TomTom .. needs a new routing engine and a way for you to either modify the routes or give it more time to think about things. Its routing is SUPER fast which is great .. but its ability to pick the best route SUCKS.

From downtown detroit to a suburb 3 different days same starting and same ending point, it came up with _3_ different freakin routes each day. And its "rerouting" calculation seems to be setup so that if you miss the turn it THINKS you should have taken rather then recalculate the route shows you how to get back to that turn it wants you to have taken.

This is by far the biggest weakness of this software. It has a lot going for it but the routing engine is the worst i have ever seen in any gps and i've used a lot it is horrible. It will get you from point a to point b but god knows how far out of your way its going to take you to get there.
    Does anyone think the routing engine in Manopolis is better. I ask this because I am still waiting for the software release for TomTom as I already own a GPS receiver module and do not wish to purchase the package bundled.

So if the routing engine in Manopolis is better I will buy that instead.
    I'm sure you all are aware of this, but it was a surprise to me.
    The BlueTooth gps antenna (the little silver rectangle) has a strong magnet on the bottom so that you can stick it to a mtal part on your car! I had no idea and then it was sitting inmy car next to my Altoids Gum tin and whoa, they made a love connection!

Very handy for some, but I also mention this as a warning:
    Keep that antenna away from your iPod (it's got that harddrive you know), CDs, memory cards, or anything that can be erased by a magnet. Don't toss the antenna and your iPod in the same jacket pocket, etc. That would suck!

No big deal, but just thought I should throw that warning out there.
    ~'kito
    Quote Originally Posted by Ti-maniac
    Does anyone think the routing engine in Manopolis is better. I ask this because I am still waiting for the software release for TomTom as I already own a GPS receiver module and do not wish to purchase the package bundled.

So if the routing engine in Manopolis is better I will buy that instead.
    Have been using Mapopolis for about six months. Finds routes quickly when used properly. Re-routes quickly and relative to where you are and your destination rather than relative to the route it has already calculated.

One day driving north on Rte 128 to pick up my sister for dinner, I noted the southbound traffic was not moving. I asked it to find a route avoiding highways. It took about a minute but it found a short route, avoiding highways. Admittedly, there were about 30 turns in the route but it was easy to follow. I doubt that people who have lived in Boston all their lives could have found that route with a map.

As an option, Mapopolis will put the turn-by-turn instructions in the PDA memo file.

I have ordered http://www.semsons.com/bluetcarchar.html so that I can continue to use iTrek Mapopolis with my 650. Do not want to change navigation software.

Mapopolis technical support is super. They ae dedicated to support, not to seeing how many requests they can define as someone else's problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray
    Have been using Mapopolis for about six months. Finds routes quickly when used properly. Re-routes quickly and relative to where you are and your destination rather than relative to the route it has already calculated.

Mapopolis technical support is super. They ae dedicated to support, not to seeing how many requests they can define as someone else's problem.
    I agree, their support is super, but based on what others have said, you cannot compare the speed of calculating routes between TomTom and Mapopolis. And the two times I've emailed TomTom support, they've replied in less than a day. That's pretty good IMO.
    I have ordered http://www.semsons.com/bluetcarchar.html so that I can continue to use iTrek Mapopolis with my 650. Do not want to change navigation software.
    If you don't mind, please post your experience with the bluetooth car charger. I also have a mapopolis gps bundle using a serial mouse and would love to be able to use it with my 650.

Lewisl
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny
    I agree, their support is super, but based on what others have said, you cannot compare the speed of calculating routes between TomTom and Mapopolis....
    No, nor have I tried. The only basis I have for comparison is Hertz Neverlost. I have not noticed much difference. The only time I have noticed the time to calculate a route was when I put tens of maps on the SD card and failed to specify a directory. Now I organize my maps into folders that are specific to an area or trip and specify a directory. Now it only take a few seconds and seems to re-route almost in real time.
    Quote Originally Posted by acousticbiker
    Regarding the first statement, does this apply only if you had the GPS unit's power on and then charged? Or is the unit's power turned on automatically when charged and then not turned off when the charger is no longer charging?
    From what I've worked out so far. When you plug the TomTom into the Cig lighter socket, you still have to push the button on the Tom Tom to turn it on. So when you park the car, you have to remember to turn it off, otherwise the TomTom battery will just drain.
    Quote Originally Posted by LewisL77
    If you don't mind, please post your experience with the bluetooth car charger. I also have a mapopolis gps bundle using a serial mouse and would love to be able to use it with my 650.

Lewisl
    Will comply. Ordered it this am for express mail delivery.
    I have the Holux GR-231 GPS with the TomTom Software-Only. It turns off automatically if the Treo 650 isn't communicating with it anymore. Does the TomTom GPS not do this?

Also, I have both Mapopolis and TomTom installed on my 650. The quality of route planning is not noticeably different between the two (though I have been sent down blind alleys or nonexistant roads or twice by Mapopolis - I think that's a source map problem, though, not an algorithm problem).

However, the quality of interface and speed on TomTom is light years better. All lookups and route calculations are a few keystrokes and sub-second.

For somebody like me who lives in a major metro area (San Francisco), even if I limit Mapoplis maps to the area, I still have 30 second lookup times and 1 - 5 minute route calculation times compared to sub-second times on TomTom.

For anybody who's not sure, you've got to see it to believe it - there's just no comparison between the two. I was a long-time Mapopolis user (2 yrs) before switching after seeing TomTom at CES. The difference is just amazing.
    Quote Originally Posted by carlnunes
    Okay, proclipusa by far the cleanest mount availible. ProClip has a lot of super clean snap on dash mount solutions for just about every auto. I am using the Treo 600 mount and it works great with my Treo 650. My Treo 600 mount came with a small plastic hook on the right side. I use it to take the tension off the charger cable when charging the phone in the car. I also charge my phone over night, at home, to peak charge it and avoid battery failure( QUOTE FROM TREO 650 MANUAL: Charge your Treo whenever you’re at your desk, or charge it overnight each day. The Lithium Ion (Li-Ion) battery has a much longer useful life when it is topped off frequently, rather than charging it after it is fully drained.). When I do have to charge on the go it is temporary. Makes for a cleaner look when no cables are attached.
    I just ordered the TomTom Navigator Bluetooth and will stash it in the center console where I have installed a custom powerpoint(cigar lighter). My Tahoe has a neat center console lid that has a pocket on the inside where I can safely store the TomTom GPS while charging. You can get these powerpoints at Radio Shack for about $3.00. Connect them to any 12 volt feed and run it to where ever you want in your car(I would guess that wiring to your glove compartment would be easy ).
    Just an idea that I'm using... Thanks for reading, hope this helps someone.
    Thanks for the info. I just ordered the Proclip.
    Quote Originally Posted by DougKoz
    I have the Holux GR-231 GPS with the TomTom Software-Only. It turns off automatically if the Treo 650 isn't communicating with it anymore. Does the TomTom GPS not do this?

Also, I have both Mapopolis and TomTom installed on my 650. The quality of route planning is not noticeably different between the two (though I have been sent down blind alleys or nonexistant roads or twice by Mapopolis - I think that's a source map problem, though, not an algorithm problem).
    I also purchased the Holux GR-231 which is why I have to wait for the TomTom Software. How and where did you get the TomTom Software-Only? It is not for sale?
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    Ok, I got the TomTom GPS with maps and software and tried setting things up but failed. Just to let you know, I'm trying to install it on a Treo 600. That's right! I know everyone here is talking about the T650, but mine isn't going to arrive until Friday, so I thought I'd at least try it out on the T600. I got the program installed fine, but the problem is installing maps. When I try to install maps I choose the storage card option and then when I sync, it transfer so slowly it's ridiculous! It's like 10 minutes per MB, and since most maps are many megs, I don't want to be waiting around for over an hour for one puny map. I have Card Export, so can transfer maps directly, but the only way I can figure out to transfer maps is by the install app that comes on each CD. Going into the CD, there are cab files, but no streightforward files that I can just transfer over. Am I missing something or when you install maps this way to the Treo 650 does it get installed much faster? Has anyone actually tried this on a Treo 600 or am I just banging my head against the wall?
    Twitter: @dvdmon

From what I've worked out so far. When you plug the TomTom into the Cig lighter socket, you still have to push the button on the Tom Tom to turn it on. So when you park the car, you have to remember to turn it off, otherwise the TomTom battery will just drain.
    So TomTom will only charge if you initially power it on when connecting the cig charger? This would be rather unusual for an electronic device.
    Will comply. Ordered it this am for express mail delivery.
    DHL tracking reports that it is on truck for delivery. May not have time to work with it today.