Page 17 of 33 FirstFirst ... 7121314151617181920212227 ... LastLast
    Just wanted to say that I received my tomtom 2004 last night from buy.com and it is amazing! I installed it straight out of the box (no tomtom updates) and it seems to be working very well. I will not update it unless something goes wrong.

This thing works great. For those familiar with iguidance/routis, its like that but better! THe 3d view works very well. Highly reccomended. If you have a treo 650, you need to get it. Its a super value at $220 with bluetooth GPS and software. As others have stated the gps receiver is very small. It is about the size of a Big Red gum Plenty pack. The maps are very impressive. There are two-tracks and backroads that arent on lots of other mapping programs. It even shows the circle drives and private roads at my corporate engineering campus. neat stuff....

I just wish it had phone numbers in the points of interest (maybe I havent found them yet).
    car_designer
    Visor Deluxe-->Treo 600-->650 cameraless-->700P-->755P cameraless conversion -->Treo 800W + Celio Redfly all on Sprint
    Parrot ck-3300 handsfree + BT GPS
    TomTom users:

1. Can Navigator run with pTunes playing in the background? Will the voice prompts interrupt the music when time for a prompt?

2. Buy.com seems to be out of stock. Anybody else find a comparable deal elsewhere, in-stock? I'm itching to try this out!
    Quote Originally Posted by acousticbiker
    TomTom users:

1. Can Navigator run with pTunes playing in the background? Will the voice prompts interrupt the music when time for a prompt?

2. Buy.com seems to be out of stock. Anybody else find a comparable deal elsewhere, in-stock? I'm itching to try this out!

re: #2) Yes, shipdog.com has it for $227. And, unlike buy.com, it's not in California so I don't have to pay tax!
    I will wait until the release of the software CD product. Or get manopolis. But I will NOT surcome to having to buy the GPS hardware unit in order to get the software. Tomtom was supposed to release the software in Dec. and then said Jan 1, and then said Jan 15, and then said Jan 30, and are now saying Feb. 15.

So for the rest of you who cannot wait anymore, pay the $229. I won't' In fact, I hope manopolis improves their product so I can buy theirs instead!
    If you're really itching to get one on order:
    buyeretail.com $232.99
    harmony computers $233.00
    shipdog.com $233.00

I would recommend preordering with buy.com, because they have a better return policy than most, offer better pricing, and are a more estabished company.
    c a r l n u n e s
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > iPhone( ) > Treo 755p
    WATCH THIS BEFORE POSTING
    Quote Originally Posted by Ti-maniac
    I will wait until the release of the software CD product. Or get manopolis. But I will NOT surcome to having to buy the GPS hardware unit in order to get the software. Tomtom was supposed to release the software in Dec. and then said Jan 1, and then said Jan 15, and then said Jan 30, and are now saying Feb. 15.

So for the rest of you who cannot wait anymore, pay the $229. I won't' In fact, I hope manopolis improves their product so I can buy theirs instead!
    You talkin about this?
    c a r l n u n e s
    Yes, if you click on the buy now it says "pre order" and has said that for three months.
    TomTom users:

I've got my Treo650 fed into the car stereo via a cassette adapter. I drive with pTunes playing and the voice prompts come through loud and clear. Get Gloonet and then you can stream your own tunes from your home PC while driving!

Around Christmas my wife bought me the TomTom bundle from buyeretail.com when buy.com was OOS. Good price and good service.
    But I will NOT surcome to having to buy the GPS hardware unit in order to get the software.
    I see your point, but the tomtom gps IMHO is a heck of a peice of hardware for the extra $70 or so. I don't think you can buy a bluetooth gps that cheap anywhere. I have a hardwired BT gps in my vehicle, but I wanted to have the tomtom one because it is rechargeable and it is so small you can slip it in a coat or shirt pocket and walk around town with it running. It is also super sensitive, it uses the sirfstar II chipset (top rated). I have been running traditional GPSR (garmin/magellan) for many years, but this thing just blows me away. Way more accurate and better sat lock with more sats that my $700 garmin unit. I would be worried about trying to buy the tomtom gps by itself after the fact, if i changed my mind. Its probably available for sale, I just havent seen it yet.

something to think about.
    car_designer
    Visor Deluxe-->Treo 600-->650 cameraless-->700P-->755P cameraless conversion -->Treo 800W + Celio Redfly all on Sprint
    Parrot ck-3300 handsfree + BT GPS
    What about the Blue Logger from Delorme. Nice small receiver with great software for only $149?
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    Guys, doing a little research I found what I believe is the TomTom bluetooth bundle on Amazon.com for $251. Sure it's a little bit higher, but free shipping and Amazon is one of the most reliable places you can go.

Link

I'm ordering...
    Last edited by dvdmon; 02/11/2005 at 07:11 AM.
    Twitter: @dvdmon

I received my system from Amazon yesterday.
    Installed with ver 4.400 in less than an hour. Thanks to this forum, I knew that the Treo's Bluetooth utility might not show the GPS. So, I just started the TT software, and it found and paired the GSP without any problem. Other mapping software, Maptech's Outdoor Navigator and deLormes HH St Atlas, also found and worked fine with this GPS unit.
    I've encountered no problems so far. With the TT software running, a call comes through and I can answer it without a problem. Answering does knock me out of the TT software which I then have to restart.
    Thanks to this forum I was able to make the purchase decision and intall with confidence.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ti-maniac
    Yes, if you click on the buy now it says "pre order" and has said that for three months.
    I didn't notice that little "pre-order" in the check out. Good eye! I think companies sometimes do that to see what kinda of a demand they can build before going into production on a product. Must not have enough pre-orders yet. You should get on the list and let them know your interested.
    c a r l n u n e s
    Quote Originally Posted by dvdmon
    Guys, doing a little research I found what I believe is the TomTom bluetooth bundle on Amazon.com for $251. Sure it's a little bit higher, but free shipping and Amazon is one of the most reliable places you can go.

Link

I'm ordering...
    TechDepot (an Office Depot Co.) $250.76 w/ ground shipping I'm so close to getting one of these.
    c a r l n u n e s
    TT is now available again from buy.com. I just got the email alert. Happy shopping!
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny
    Does it generate real-time directions? I'd love it if someone could test something for me:

When I use Mapopolis, and try to generate a route between Union County, NJ, and Westchester County, NY, it takes almost 5 minutes to process, and then it crashes. I read somewhere on GPSPassion that TomTom would generate the same route in 20 seconds. Can you confirm this?
    First use 2.02b or 2.03b which you can download from the Mapopolis site.

When you select a map, you are given the option to specify a directory. If you fail to do that, Mapopolis will check all the maps on the card. Therefore, create a directory w/ only Union NJ, Westchester NY, and Major Roads for the two states and specify that Directory. Now Mapopolis will find the route quickly and will not crash.

I now have half a dozen map folders that are specific to places that I travel (CA, TX, FL, NYC, Boston, NH, NYC).
    Quote Originally Posted by TREOpalooza
    TT is now available again from buy.com. I just got the email alert. Happy shopping!
    Thanks for the tip--hadn't received my alert yet. I just made my order: with an internet $15 off coupon and the $25 rebate available through a promotion after my order, total price will be $186! Definitely the best deal around!
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray
    First use 2.02b or 2.03b which you can download from the Mapopolis site.

When you select a map, you are given the option to specify a directory. If you fail to do that, Mapopolis will check all the maps on the card. Therefore, create a directory w/ only Union NJ, Westchester NY, and Major Roads for the two states and specify that Directory. Now Mapopolis will find the route quickly and will not crash.

I now have half a dozen map folders that are specific to places that I travel (CA, TX, FL, NYC, Boston, NH, NYC).
    I can confirm this. Mapopolis took over 7 minutes to calculate my route from Lake Tahoe to Palo Alto. TomTom did it in under 4 seconds.

In TomTom, lookups of points of interest (airport, restaurants by name, etc.) are also sub-second, even with all the maps on the SD card.

Mapopolis crashed my 650 constantly when it loaded maps over 10 mb (LA, for example). TomTom appears to work directly from the SD card rather than loading the maps into memory temporarily the way Mapopolis does.
    Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    What $25 rebate was that?
    Thanks for the tip--hadn't received my alert yet. I just made my order: with an internet $15 off coupon and the $25 rebate available through a promotion after my order, total price will be $186! Definitely the best deal around!
    Quote Originally Posted by iomatic
    What $25 rebate was that?
    After making the order, I was directed to try a program called Great Fun (Entertainment book-style discounts) free for 2 months. For trying it, I got a $25 rebate for my purchase from Buy.com. No cancellation fee for the program if done before the end of the 2 month trial period!