Page 16 of 33 FirstFirst ... 6111213141516171819202126 ... LastLast
    I've just ordered one of these from buy.com. Can't wait for in to arrive !
    Well .. i wasn't going to do it .. but its down to $226 at buy.com - the $15 rebate its only $211 so I had to pull the trigger even tho i was looking for better software. Will have it tommorow !
    Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    Questions:
    Are there any Mac users successfully installing? Using Virtual PC ok? How?

I'm looking at the serial cable version (same price as Navigator 2004 alone!) at buy.com; will this version 'lock' into not being able to use third-party GPS, specifically a previously-purchased Bluetooth one?

Thanks.
    Ok got my TT today and no problems at all with install other then it takes forever.

Now .. how do I get an icon to launch TT ?? as it is i have to pop out my sd card and pop it back in to start it up ?
    riekl,

You don't have an icon titled "Navigator"?
    iomatic,

I used my mother in law's pc to install tomtom. It uses your hotsync and palm desktop. So I had to install palm desktop for windows, and then sync to create my id on the computer.

I'm not sure if it would work on virtual pc, but I don't see why not. Tomtom uses the usb hotsync cable to transfer the app.

Clue
    Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    More questions, of course!

I don't mind setting VPC, but does the TomTom installer just put everything in the users' Install folder? So I could just grab those instead of HotSyncing? Anyone know about this? How much of the SD card will be taken up with all of the maps? T

Thanks!
    "all" of the maps would eat up any sd card

I have MI, OH, IN and FL on mine and they take up 150mb. The entire country is around 800mb-1gig if i remember right.
    Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    Good to know. I will get a 1GB card. Any answers on the install thing (Where? Must HotSync, vs. copy?)

For anyone who's interested in getting the TomTom system through buy.com, it appears that they are temporarily sold out of the Palm BT version at this point!
    Last edited by TREOpalooza; 02/09/2005 at 01:35 PM.
    Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    The serial-port version is available; I'll order it and see if it works with another BT adapter (Belkin).

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.as...387107&loc=101
    Mine arrived today. I've setup the software and everything seems ok, except that I can't detect the Bluetooth device.

I've tried using Handsfree setup and Hotsync setup. There were no instructions on getting the tomtom bluetooth ready to "pair" so I just switched it on (so the blue light is flashing). Whatever I do - I just don't see the device on the Treo

EDIT: Okay, Ignore the above question. I gave up trying to do it like the PDF document on the web site describes. I was playing with the Navigator software, and suddenly it asked me to enter the key code (0000). After this, it started working.

I went back to the bluetooth settings on the Treo, but it couldn't find the TomTom, so I guess the TomTom software has a back door approach
    Last edited by shady; 02/09/2005 at 05:10 PM.
    Took it out for a spin last night. I was heading out for dinner at a restaurant about 20 miles away, so I thought this would be the perfect opportunity.

I wasn't too happy with the route it chose, so I ignored it's directions and let it catch up. This seemed to work okay, but after about 19 miles, the position on the map stopped updating itself (it remained 1.1 miles from my destination for the rest of the trip).

Obviously I didn't have the chance to "debug", due to the fact I was driving. But the Bluetooth light was still solid (meaning it had a connection).

I'll have to see how often this occurs. Anyone else had this?

It behaved perfectly on my trip back home
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    Sorry if this has been asked before, but does anyone know if TomTom maps uses NavTeq data (used by online mapping apps)? I contacted NavTeq 6 months ago at least about an addressing error on my block which they said would be fixed, but so far it isn't reflected at least on the online sites...
    Twitter: @dvdmon

I'm a current mapopolis user and upgraded to a GSM 650. I have a serial Haicom GPS receiver and I wondering if anyone has used the bluetooth car charger sold through semsons.com to make the serial receiver bluetooth enabled. http://www.semsons.com/bluetcarchar.html
    If that would work, I think I will try TomTom 2004 software only option, on my 650.
    Anybody have any info?
    Quote Originally Posted by dvdmon
    Sorry if this has been asked before, but does anyone know if TomTom maps uses NavTeq data (used by online mapping apps)? I contacted NavTeq 6 months ago at least about an addressing error on my block which they said would be fixed, but so far it isn't reflected at least on the online sites...
    TomTom uses TeleAtlas data, not NavTeq.
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LewisL77
    I'm a current mapopolis user and upgraded to a GSM 650. I have a serial Haicom GPS receiver and I wondering if anyone has used the bluetooth car charger sold through semsons.com to make the serial receiver bluetooth enabled. http://www.semsons.com/bluetcarchar.html
    If that would work, I think I will try TomTom 2004 software only option, on my 650.
    Anybody have any info?
    Lewis, that looks like pretty much the same solution as the Haicom bluetooth adapter. Here's a link to it as sold on BuyGPSNow.com, where I bought my Haicom mouse bundled with Mapopolis for my T600:

http://www.buygpsnow.com/item.aspx?itemid=365

The problem with both of these is that the don't solve the power problem. I guess most BT GPS receivers seem to use batteries for operation, but I wonder how long those batteries last. Sure it's not as convenient to have to connect the phone to wires, but at least with my current T600 setup I don't have to worry about power because both the GPS and the phone are powered together through the cigarette lighter. I guess with the unit you linked to as well as the Haicom, they provide power to the GPS but not the phone. How much faster with the T650's battery go down when being used as a GPS, that's what I want to know.

I suppose a workaround to this is to get an adapter that lets you plug in two (or more) devices into the same cigarrette lighter, but I'm wondering how much you can plug in for how long without having an affect on the car battery (or simply sucking power faster than the battery can handle)?? Then again, should there even be a difference in power drain whether they are connected with a Y cable that came with my Haicom setup, or if the Y is created by one of those multi-powerport adapters you can get at radioshack?
    Twitter: @dvdmon

Quote Originally Posted by iomatic
    More questions, of course!

I don't mind setting VPC, but does the TomTom installer just put everything in the users' Install folder? So I could just grab those instead of HotSyncing? Anyone know about this? How much of the SD card will be taken up with all of the maps? T

Thanks!
    The map install option has an option to install directly to computer-mounted SD card or even on local directory on your computer, so you can copy them over afterwards.
    Quote Originally Posted by dvdmon
    Lewis, that looks like pretty much the same solution as the Haicom bluetooth adapter. Here's a link to it as sold on BuyGPSNow.com, where I bought my Haicom mouse bundled with Mapopolis for my T600:

http://www.buygpsnow.com/item.aspx?itemid=365

The problem with both of these is that the don't solve the power problem. I guess most BT GPS receivers seem to use batteries for operation, but I wonder how long those batteries last. Sure it's not as convenient to have to connect the phone to wires, but at least with my current T600 setup I don't have to worry about power because both the GPS and the phone are powered together through the cigarette lighter. I guess with the unit you linked to as well as the Haicom, they provide power to the GPS but not the phone. How much faster with the T650's battery go down when being used as a GPS, that's what I want to know.

I suppose a workaround to this is to get an adapter that lets you plug in two (or more) devices into the same cigarrette lighter, but I'm wondering how much you can plug in for how long without having an affect on the car battery (or simply sucking power faster than the battery can handle)?? Then again, should there even be a difference in power drain whether they are connected with a Y cable that came with my Haicom setup, or if the Y is created by one of those multi-powerport adapters you can get at radioshack?
    Yeah, I saw the haicom bt adapter on buygpsnow.com. I bought my haicom package from them. If they only had a y cable with the 650 connector I would go that route and skip the BT connection and leave it available for use with my headset. What I was planning on doing was getting the semsons version to bt connect and power my haicom gps receiver and use my 650 car charger to power my treo. I have a splitter so this is not a problem for me, and I'm not to fond of the haicom bt adapter since you need to use the y cable and that would leave the old 600 connector lying around doing nothing and taking up space.

Besides all this, I really want TomTom because it looks so much better than mapopolis. I'm just trying to extend the value of my original gps purchase.
    Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    Here's what I did to get value.

First, I purchased a Belkin Bluetooth GPS at a time when they were relatively cheap ($147.24 shipped) at buy.com. They were available at Belkin's site with their '1234' discount code. But no longer sorry.
    buy.com Belkin GPS: http://www.buy.com/retail/product.as...0&loc=101&sp=1

I should note that the Belkin adapter takes a standard microcharger plug, and I *believe* a standard Nokia battery, if not also a standard (more recent Nokia) charger. I haven't used Nokias for a long time, so I can't confirm this.

There are others, to be sure.

This is on order and as a backup, the wired GPS unit could be used. I'll let board members know if works with the Belkin (supposedly NMEA-compliant) GPS adapter:
    buy.com TomTom Serial: http://www.buy.com/retail/product.as...387107&loc=101

Finally, get a 10% (max $15 discount) off at buy.com:
    http://www.buy.com/retail/coupon.asp...353&dcaid=1688

HTH

P.S., always check: http://dealcoupon.com/ , http://www.bensbargains.net/ , and http://www.slickdeals.net/

Quote Originally Posted by LewisL77

Besides all this, I really want TomTom because it looks so much better than mapopolis. I'm just trying to extend the value of my original gps purchase.
    Last edited by iomatic; 02/10/2005 at 11:01 AM.