Page 14 of 33 FirstFirst ... 491011121314151617181924 ... LastLast
    I have BIG news about TomTom on the Treo 650!!!!

Actually I have good news and bad news.

The GOOD news is that TomTom just released the Treo 650 firmware update! You can just install it on top of your old firmware (don't delete the old one).

http://www.tomtom.com/support/rightn...p_faqid%3D2406

The BAD (some might say VERY BAD) news is that they state, "*TomTom Navigator on the Treo 650: The Phone feature of the Treo 650 must be switched off while using TomTom Navigator. If a call is taken or made while TomTom Navigator is in use you will have to restart it and replan the route."!!!!!

What a huge bummer! When you are traveling (using the GPS navigator), that is when you want to be available to phone calls, duh!!!

So perhaps we shouldn't use the update. I know when I intereupted the old version while navigating, when I went back to the app, it automatically remembered the route and continued on. We'll have to test the new update with the phone ON.

But regardless, nice to see that they are updating for us.
    ~'kito
    Quote Originally Posted by Markito
    The Phone feature of the Treo 650 must be switched off while using TomTom Navigator.
    ... w...wh..... WHAAAAAT????

THAT's the fix to the phone issue? Turning the phone off? This has GOT to be a practical joke. They work for months on an update and when it comes IT MAKES YOU TURN THE PHONE OFF? What... the... ?

Wow. I have no words to express the insanity of this stunt.
    Isn't this the same version for the T5 that I already have?
    No, they just released a new one today.
    ~'kito
    No, they just released a new one today.
    It does not look too new to me... Check the first remark under the "Question" paragraph:

"Update December 2004"

Guess that is not the same as Jan 2005
    Interesting "update"! I installed the most current version on my Treo 650 last week. The version I downloaded last week says:

TomTom Navigator - Palm OS Device - App. Version 4.420 (2869)

The "new" installation on their web site says: Version 4.42

Maybe I'm missing something but it sounds the same to me.
    1. Is the software capable of multiple waypoint navigation? This is also known as "adding vias" and having the GPS unit optimize the trip to several locations based on distance. Or do you have to manually arrange destinations (vias)?

2. During navigation and turn previews do voice prompts (commands) include street names? I'm referring to streets with letters and numbers, like J Street, 47th Ave, US-50, CA-160, I-95, etc

Thanks
    yeah.. I already have 4.42 from December. This is the same update, they just added info about the Treo 650 in the description.
    Anyone know when they will sell the software without the $150 BT receiver?
    Quote Originally Posted by mogulman
    yeah.. I already have 4.42 from December. This is the same update, they just added info about the Treo 650 in the description.
    I guess you're right. What a load of cr*p! The customer service person talked it up as just released today, so I got all excited. Oh well, at least it still works. Well in that case we don't need to shut our phones off, because though making or receiving a call interrupts the Navigator, at least it is able to pick up where it left off when you return to the app.

Does anyone know the differences between the pre-T5 version and the T5 version?

So much for my big news.
    ~'kito
    How have you guys found support at TomTom? I registered for the Navigator and I submitted 2 questions (via email) to their support department a few days ago and they have not been answered.

All in all, TomTom is really very good and would be GREAT if they added features such as entering addresses from the address book and still be able to function while using the phone.
    Does the new version/semi-new T5 version make the 5-way buttons usable?
    The original CD version (4.40) doesn't work with the 5-way.
    ~'kito
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyH
    1. Is the software capable of multiple waypoint navigation? This is also known as "adding vias" and having the GPS unit optimize the trip to several locations based on distance. Or do you have to manually arrange destinations (vias)?

2. During navigation and turn previews do voice prompts (commands) include street names? I'm referring to streets with letters and numbers, like J Street, 47th Ave, US-50, CA-160, I-95, etc

Thanks
    I'll answer myself. TomTom does none of the above.

Btw, GPSPassion forums is a great place for GPS navigation info.
    Well now at this very moment, the mention of Treo 650 in the update on the Main Update page has been removed:
    http://www.tomtom.com/support/suppor...Language=4&M=1

Strange.
    ~'kito
    Took the TT on its first road trip this week. It performed very well / not great

I was travelling around florida and it did not always have street numbers for streets --- given the rapid development here its not suprising (vegas must be similar)

What i really wanted was to be able to search for a point of intrest in anither area and then navigate to that location i.e. i was in Boca Raton and wanted to search for a hotel in Miami --- I knew it was in miami but did not know the address ---- I knew i had to get on 95 south to get to miami BUT --- when i search for hotels it only looks for item that are in 5.2 miles of your current location ---- because of this i was not able to start my route ---- so i just chose a street in miami and when I got close i just kept checking Hotels in the POI until it came up

The name of the hotel was cut off in the list as well --- i guessed right bit i could see this being a problem --- bigger cities will often have a number of the same chain hotels in the city --- they might call wone the downtown sheraton and te other "parkside sheraton

Any thoughts? - comments?

Am i missing something

I still love this thing!
    Well now at this very moment, the mention of Treo 650 in the update on the Main Update page has been removed:
    http://www.tomtom.com/support/suppor...Language=4&M=1

Strange.
    Its still there! I downloaded it in pdf if you would like to see it.
    I've asked this twice with no response.

Can it be used on a boat. I want a simple Point A to Point B GPS instead of buying a handheld. Can you input coordinates or only street addresses?
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Markito
    http://www.tomtom.com/support/suppo...&Language=4&M=1

Strange.

Its still there! I downloaded it in pdf if you would like to see it.

Could you post the pdf?
    Quote Originally Posted by Advance The Man
    I've asked this twice with no response.

Can it be used on a boat. I want a simple Point A to Point B GPS instead of buying a handheld. Can you input coordinates or only street addresses?
    I haven't used it on a boat, but here's my limited knowledge, obtained by playing with tomtom.

It will show your location on a body of water, as it is very accurate. However, if you try to mark a spot on a body of water, tomtom will highlight the nearest street. So I think saving a spot on a body of water is not possible.

You can not input coordinates, but you can save any spot as a "favorite", again that spot being a street address.

It will not save waypoints.

It does simple A to B routing, either with a GPS or without.

Clue
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhozier
    Took the TT on its first road trip this week. It performed very well / not great

I was travelling around florida and it did not always have street numbers for streets --- given the rapid development here its not suprising (vegas must be similar)

What i really wanted was to be able to search for a point of intrest in anither area and then navigate to that location i.e. i was in Boca Raton and wanted to search for a hotel in Miami --- I knew it was in miami but did not know the address ---- I knew i had to get on 95 south to get to miami BUT --- when i search for hotels it only looks for item that are in 5.2 miles of your current location ---- because of this i was not able to start my route ---- so i just chose a street in miami and when I got close i just kept checking Hotels in the POI until it came up

The name of the hotel was cut off in the list as well --- i guessed right bit i could see this being a problem --- bigger cities will often have a number of the same chain hotels in the city --- they might call wone the downtown sheraton and te other "parkside sheraton

Any thoughts? - comments?

Am i missing something

I still love this thing!
    To search for a point of interest near your destination, I would try the following:

1. Set route (optional, but easier to find the nearest hotel)

2. Tap screen, choose "browse map"

3. Tap screen at checkered flag, or destination, or desired area of hotels.

4. Tap cursor button at bottom of screen (button to left of "done" button"

5. Tap "Find nearby POI"

6. Choose "hotels"

7. Pick hotel from list

8. Map screen shows hotel location.

9. Tap cursor button again

10. Tap "Navigate There"

I just tried, it and it found me a HoJo's near Montclair NJ, and I'm in NH.

I don't know a way to make the fonts smaller to see the POI's.

Good luck!

Clue