Page 13 of 33 FirstFirst ... 38910111213141516171823 ... LastLast
    Kito,

There's discussion elsewhere on the board about the limits tomtom has on installing navigator. I would call customer service in Mass. on Monday (I know, no weekend usage for you) and I bet they'll be very helpful. They were quick to respond to my situation when I received the pocketpc version at XMAS. Sent out the palm version right away.

I'm surprised that the registration failed. You would think the software would know you were re- installing it on the same device. Puzzling.
    Thanks Cluemeister, I think I am indeed screwed for the weekend. That really sucks.

Where is their phone #for customer service in MA? I haven't been able to find a phone number. Please either post it here or PM it to me.
    Thanks,
    ~'kito
    Anybody has any comments on delorme logger gps. It is cheaper than the others $149 compared to tom tom $299.
    I bought TomTom from www.buy.com (without the car cradle since I already had a ProClipUSA holder) for $240.00 and free shipping.
    ~'kito
    Quote Originally Posted by Cluemeister
    Kito,

There's discussion elsewhere on the board about the limits tomtom has on installing navigator. I would call customer service in Mass. on Monday (I know, no weekend usage for you) and I bet they'll be very helpful.

I'm surprised that the registration failed. You would think the software would know you were re- installing it on the same device. Puzzling.
    Guys,
    Amazing, though they are not open on the weekend, I emailed them earlier today anyway and lo and behold, one of their guys replied right away today (Saturday)!

Here's what he said:

"Dear Markito,
    If the device code has not changed, there is a chance would need to hard reset your Palm due to a registry problem when activating. Once you hard reset the device, install the application and map data to the SD card specifically and use the activation code that you have. If the device code has changed, please inform us.
    Kind Regards,
    TomTom USA Customer Service"

Very nice. Now, If I didn't want to mess with a hard reset, do you guys know of a way to fix the registry problem by removing a file (viz Filez) or something?
    What do you think?
    Last edited by Markito; 01/09/2005 at 02:12 AM.
    ~'kito
    Markito: I performed a hard reset of my 650 yesterday thinking it would help with some of my reset issues (..it didn't). I had backed up the Navigator "hook" (the little launcher app that sits in your internal memory), so I restored it, launched and it worked the same, no need to register. Actually I experienced a couple of issues I never experienced before with Tom Tom - a very long delay when closing, a failure to reconnect to the GPS, and lack of sound - but they went away after restarting the software. So, a hard reset shouldn't really require registration in my experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by Markito
    What is their phone # for customer service in MA? I haven't been able to find a phone number. Please either post it here or PM it to me.
    Thanks,
    Well I finally found it listed somewhere, so I'll answer my own question:
    The number is: (978) 287-9555.
    ~'kito
    Can you use TomTom offline to get turn by turn direction without the blutooth GPS receiver? If not, This would be a showstopper for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by ucipass
    Can you use TomTom offline to get turn by turn direction without the blutooth GPS receiver? If not, This would be a showstopper for me.
    Yes, there's a function to plan from point A to point B. Obviously, it can't guide you through the turns, but it'll put the route together.
    I agree with nsnisinsinsinsini that it would be nice to set preferences for what type of roads you like to take, i.e. shortest distance, shortest time, most use of freeways, etc. But you can go to the route list and modify certain turns to change your route, and that's helpful.

I do like the way the icons are large enough to just tap with your finger. I also like the way the recent destinations show up in a list, so you don't have to type them in again. The home button is great as well.

Also, the points of interest list is pretty good. I was amazed how many local restaurants were on the list. For instance, we looked for a d'angelo's sandwich shop, and they came right up in the list, and routed the trip for us. That's very helpful, especially when you're on the highway looking for the nearest McD's in a strange area.

Tomtom is great.
    Has anyone just ordered the software version of Tomtom. If so which version exactly did you get. Also has anyone gotten both the US maps and the Europe maps. Last question, I have is can you create custom waypoints and how does that happen.

Mike
    I have version 4.400. As to waypoints, I believe tomtom does not support them. I do not have european maps.
    Now a question for others: My tomtom does not display the names of lakes or rivers in either 3d or browse map mode. Also, lakes and/or rivers don't show up in the points of interest categories. Am I missing something?

Thanks!
    Regarding using tom tom on the water, I don't care about buoys, I'll keep my eyes open. I just want to use it for A to B, tell me how many miles and give me a pointer to what direction I need to go. I have a feeling it might try to calculate the roadways while I'm on the water. Anyone know if for certain this will work?
    Hi anyway, I am new to TreoCentral. I have a question - has anyone use Destinator3 with the Treo 650? I bought Destinator3 for PDA but not able to load the mapping software into my 650.
    Any feedback will be much appreciated.
    Clumeister, is that Tomtom 2004 maps that you have ?
    mtang64,

I'm using TomTom Navigator, version 4.40.
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    it was a lil confusing at first...cuz i didnt know i have to copy the maps and folder structures onto the card...(it was complaining it couldnt find any maps)....but its working wonderfully now....my best exprience w/ GPS ...nice and SMOOTH 3D views!!!
    I have a map question about TomTom. I have the New England - Mid Atlantic States which includes New York. This map is 152MB. I see that there is a map of New York which is 34MB. My question is, does the map of New York have more detail then the map of New England and Mid Atlantic States or is the New York map just included in the other map? This question would also apply to maps that include a few states compared to a map of just one state.
    I browsed a few small roads on my NH map, and then I searched for the same small roads on the combination New England-NY-NJ map, and those roads were there. I believe they are identical maps.

The Major Roads of America map does drop local roads.

Clue