Page 11 of 33 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151621 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by NSiNSiNSi
    Oh and it doesn't map anything inside Kennedy Space Center in Florida. Once you drive inside the KSC boundary it's all empty terrain.
    Probably some government conspiracy to keep the satellites from knowing what is inside Kennedy Space Center. I'm sure it doesn't map anything inside Area 51 either.

But seriously, that is very encouraging to hear that some folks aren't experiencing map issues. I am excited to try mine out tomorow!

Is it true that you can keep the GPS receiver inside the glove compartment? I heard that it doesn't need direct contact with the sky (i.e. on the dashboard).
    ~'kito
    Well, in my experience It looks like it should work from inside the glovebox, but I'd rather leave it on the dashboard as it is definitely prone to inaccurate readings when there is too much occlusion. For example, when driving through areas dense with skyscrapers, you will see your GPS position being read incorrectly every so often. It can be pretty annoying, but the position is never compeltely lost and soon enough it goes back to normal.

I have also been able to plot walks through certain parts of the city by dropping it in my pocket. Again, it gets a little inaccurate but still good enough to track.

I am wondering if this happens to people driving through Manhattan, for example...
    TeleAtlas is a European company that bought a small US company (ETACK, or something like that) to get US data into their offering. Their US data is supposed to be good in metro areas, but outside of that their information is supposedly based on the free Tiger and USGS data, which isn't the best in terms of detailed info, and isn't updated very frequently.

TomTom can't really promise to fix reported discrepancies on any kind of schedule, since it's TeleAtlas that needs to make the update, and they'll only do that after they have confirming data from a survey.
    Thank you guys for all your helpful advice. It's good (actually, not that good) to hear of others having similar issues. I'll definitely give TomTom a shout.

Moving? That's a thought! =)
    Will it still work if you leave the receiver in your pocket, at an angle or perpendicular to normal, when walking around?
    Anyone know if there's a preference in the software to leave "bread crumbs"? I couldn't find it.

Clue
    I don't think TomTom or Mapopolis support GPS logging. You can manually make your own waypoints (I know Mapopolis does this, I assume TomTom does as well), but not have them automatically generated at a fixed interval. I think there are other GPS apps out there that do this - you might want to browse around on the gpspassion forums.
    I bought a gps receiver without TomTom (2004 not avaible until next week), I download a free app that can use markers and also can log. Its called CotoGPS and here is the link

http://www.freewarepalm.com/communication/cotogps.shtml
    I use CetusGPS for logging. It's got a desktop companion you can use to convert logs to GPX format... you can do some pretty damn col stuff with it.
    Well, I took it out for its first testdrive today. I drove all around the Minneapolis/Saint Paul metro area and it performed like a dream! I am so in love with the TomTom Nav on the 650! Before I got it, I thought, what if the small screen isn't big enough? Not at al it's great. the 3D maps are a DREAM! Tons of detail. It even tells you the speed you are driving and it seemed exaxt to my spedometer.

I tried with the GPS antenna pad first on the dashboard, then in my pocket, then in the glove compartment and it show all SEVEN satellites as connected regardless of where I put it! No wavering! I was amazed and so impressed. But the funniest thing was, I came home and the antenna was in my jacket pocket on the ground floor of my house) (still powred up, though I didn't know it.) I was on the second level in my home office. I fired up TomTom on my 650 just to look at the prefs and I was shocked to see that it was connected with the antenna one floor blow my phone and that it had a full connection with all the satellites after going through 3 ceilings above the GPS antenna in my jacket pocket! I can't believe it. (or does it head out a window on the first floor?) Anyway we by no means need a direct view of the sky.

Anyone on a subway car in NYC wanna check to see if their little triangle keeps moving while they ride the subway? :-) How about someone on the Chunnel? ;-)
    ~'kito
    I had a lot of favorite apps for the 650, but my new TomTom Nav for BT Palm is now by far my favorite one!

It really is even better than the very nice built in GPS navigator in my wife's Acura RL! Now I finally have one (and a better one)!

Oh and the maps I used were dead on exact today.

And I was pleasantly surprised that when I left the Nav app to make a phone call, when I tapped back on it, it immediately knew that I wasn't at my destination yet and that it should immediately continue on with the route.

Finally, when I wandered of the path (ignoring the prescribed route) on a brand new road, it did create a line of dashes behind my triangle guy. Not sure if they will stay as permanent "bread crumbs" or not, but perhaps.
    ~'kito
    Someone needs to try it on an airplane.
    Most airlines don't allow Bluetooth devices (or any transmitting device) on the airplane to be turned on. So that probably wouldn't be a good idea.
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Markito
    Anyone on a subway car in NYC wanna check to see if their little triangle keeps moving while they ride the subway? ;-)
    It does indeed. i happened to be in a car with someone else who has a Treo 650 and they were like WTF! that is awesome! so shes definitely buying one now ^_^ In some places itll lose connection for a bit but regains it again as well.

I must admit after having this thing for a while, i just have grown to love it even more. its wow factor is thru the roof. i have however been taken on some very weird routes as mentioned before but never actually been lost on it except once on this POI which took me to a private landing strip behind the international aiport i was supposed to be going to.

Also i am very interested in third party apps that i can use to extend the scope of my TomTom GPS. do these routing apps u guys have posted work with the bluetooth or will the bluetooth connect automatically the moment a GPS enabled app pops up? i guess ill just have to check it out but would also like to know about any other apps you guys may know about!
    I had my I.trek in an airplane on two different occasions. My I.trek was supposed to work to 515mph, but it stopped working at 330mph, so I donít know what the problem is. It received about 6 satellites, it could receive them above 330, but it couldnít calculate a position. I only used CotoGPS. Hey NSiNSiNSi, what is the desktop companion that you use and how do you send the logs to your pc?
    I bought the TomTom based on the feedback in this forum and I LOVE IT

No issues with accuaracy yet

Here's my question:

I will likely leave the GPS unit in the car almost all the time. I'd like to find a way to hardwire the unit so that when i start the car it automatically turns its self on ... then it will find my 650 and off I go

I have a VW Touareg and I'm thinking of mounting it in the dash compartment (its right underneath the rearview mirrow on the dash http://www.tregcentral.com/Scripts/p...?idproduct=110h)

I have not tried this yet but I think the TT RJ11 power adapter might work with my Valentine One Radar Detector female power adapter

Anybody else want this feature - or better yet figured it out yet

This link is for the compartment I want to put in

This is a bad pic of the plug

THANKS
    I am making a post on my blog with an explanation, I will let you guys know...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhozier
    I bought the TomTom based on the feedback in this forum and I LOVE IT

No issues with accuaracy yet

Here's my question:

I will likely leave the GPS unit in the car almost all the time. I'd like to find a way to hardwire the unit so that when i start the car it automatically turns its self on ... then it will find my 650 and off I go

I have a VW Touareg and I'm thinking of mounting it in the dash compartment (its right underneath the rearview mirrow on the dash http://www.tregcentral.com/Scripts/p...?idproduct=110h)

I have not tried this yet but I think the TT RJ11 power adapter might work with my Valentine One Radar Detector female power adapter

Anybody else want this feature - or better yet figured it out yet

This link is for the compartment I want to put in

This is a bad pic of the plug

THANKS
    I would doubt the radar detector connection would supply the correct power, but I don't really know about valentine one. Most radar detectors run off 12 Volts.

The TomTom Bluetooth GPS charger puts out 5 volts, 2amps.

You may be able to power it using a cigarette lighter adapter from Radioshack. They have a couple of Cig adapters that put out 4.5 volts. That may be enough to charge it.

Then you would either need to open it up and wire it in, or wire in a cigarette lighter socket that turns off and on with the car. Most VW Cig sockets remain active all the time.
    Thanks for the input

The TT GPS came with a cig lighter --- I can always turn one of the two cig lighter sockets into a swithed one ---- however I'd like to hardwire it so it's a little more custom --- Thanks
    Well.. if you don't want to screw up your tomtom cig adapter, you could still open the radio shack one and wire it directly in... You might need a little plastic box to hold the part of the adapter that converts 12v to 4.5v. Or build your own 5v converter...