Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Fofer
    This should help:
    http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/ma...Remote+Control

Instead of "Chicken of the VNC" on the controlling end however you'd use PalmVNC.
    Fofer or any Mac OSX users...

Can you provide some guidance? I have my Treo 650 with PalmVNC installed and Share My Desktop installed on the desktop, it's running and in shared mode. I have the IP address (10.0...) on the screen and I changed the password and port number (5902). I have put all this info (IP, port, password) into PalmVNC, but it continues to have problems connecting. What am I doing wrong?
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by talkin73
    Fofer or any Mac OSX users...

Can you provide some guidance? I have my Treo 650 with PalmVNC installed and Share My Desktop installed on the desktop, it's running and in shared mode. I have the IP address (10.0...) on the screen and I changed the password and port number (5902). I have put all this info (IP, port, password) into PalmVNC, but it continues to have problems connecting. What am I doing wrong?
    talkin73, your IP address of "10.0..." tells me your desktop is behind a router or firewall and you have NAT (network address translation) turned on. This typically blocks all incoming ports and doesn't allow VNC to operate. You'll have to set up a rule on your firewall and specifically open up the port (5902) and direct that traffic to your desktop. Then to access your desktop from PalmVNC you'll have to enter your external IP address instead.

Go to www.ipchicken.com from your desktop to see what your (current) IP address is. If your IP address is dynamic (ie: changes regularly) you'll need to use some IP reporting software, or get a free dyndns.org account to give you something consistent to enter.
    I used PalmVNC for a while with the 600 and tried it on the 650 (this is a integral part of my Treo usage). I eventually stopped using it for the following reasons:

- WinVNC clients crash or disconnect when attempting to zoom, which is very important
    - Doesn't have built-in dynamic IP gathering
    - Ran at low res on my 650 (160x160)

I am now using Winhand which really rocks and has a very intuitive interface on the Palm with beatiful highb res scaling, instant zoom in/out, audio feedback when clicking, built-in dynamic IP handling, and never crashes. It's also got some problems though:

- Can't lock/unlock/login/logoff a remote computer (this is a pretty major issue, but it's the only one)
    - Authorization/license key procedure is pretty confusing when dealing with more than one PC, and I haven't been able to get more than two working at the same time. VNC does not have this problem.
    Ok, well, if anybody can get this going on Mac OS X, I'd love to hear what to do.

I have Share My Desktop installed and running the System VNC Server upon startup.
    I have ports 59xx-59xx opened up on my firewall for VNC.
    I have a dyndns.org account up and running so that I have a consistent place to go.
    I have IP reporting software installed to keep dyndns updated on my IP address.

So, I'm not sure if it's just my Palm VNC settings that are off. Could somebody detail what to do?

Ok, when I edit my available server, here's the fields to fill in:
    Connection Name (I think I can put in whatever here, correct?)
    Server Name or IP Address (I've got my dyndns name entered here.)
    Display Number (What should I use?)
    Server Password (Is this going to be my Share My Desktop VNC password?)

Then, on that screen, you click Advanced and get:
    Begin at: X: __ , Y: __ (I assume this just means where on your desktop the screen will start up and these values shouldn't matter if I leave them at zero.)
    Scale: 1: __ (again, I assume this is just the visual thing. any suggestions?)

NT user name: ____ (I have nothing entered here right now)
    NT password: _____ (Currently, this is set to -Prompt-)
    Base Port: ____ (I have 59xx entered.)
    I have the box next to "Enable desktop sharing" checked.

If anybody could clue me in on to what might be the issue, I would appreciate it mightily. Thanks a lot.
    For those having problems with zooming/scaling:

If you read at http://palmvnc2.free.fr/ Palmvnc is bundled with Ultr@vnc. If you install the Ultr@vnc server on your PC, the zooming/scaling functions work.

I've been using this setup on my Treo 600 for months.
    Quote Originally Posted by jnrjr79
    Those of you useing Macs, is there something I'm missing here? I get the error message
    "Opening the network...skipped
    Connecting to xx.x.x.x (my IP) : xxxx (the port number)
    ERROR: cannot connect to
    xx.x.x.x:xxxx"
    Me too
    Can someone tell me how u select while using this app. Example, I have a notepad file that has some text that I wanna select then copy and paste but I can't figure out how to do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by whidden
    For those having problems with zooming/scaling:

If you read at http://palmvnc2.free.fr/ Palmvnc is bundled with Ultr@vnc. If you install the Ultr@vnc server on your PC, the zooming/scaling functions work.

I've been using this setup on my Treo 600 for months.
    Yep, I used it too, but there's another complicating factor. I use another VNC function that basically allows you to do KM (Keyboard & Mouse) control over IP. With this function I can control 3 different computers, each with their own screen, by simply dragging my mouse past the edge of my main screen. It looks like magic, and it's by far the most practical way I have found to set this up. That version of UltraVNC does not support this function, and the version that does crashes with the scaling... oh well.
    OK, I have been looking into setting this up since I first got my I 330 and it always looked like it would be verry complated to get it running. I just downloaded Winhand, and in a few minuits I was up and running. I would suggest anyone wanting remote control of their home PC, to try Winhand.
    I was wondering why it said I was downloading the demo version. will this stop working, or is this there only one version?
    By the way, I am posting this using Winhand.
    Blue Skies,
    Wags
    I just gave the new PalmVNC another chance, and it sure is nice and all (I'll keep a copy of the installers in my SD in case I need it while on the road) but WinHand is far superior in performance. It looks great, it's easier to control and much faster. Nice to have the choice however.
    Last edited by NSiNSiNSi; 12/10/2004 at 06:04 PM.
    Anybody know of anything comparable to WinHand for Mac OS X or should I just kep trying to get PalmVNC to work?
    Start Share My Desktop, then on your Mac, try going to http://www.gotomyvnc.com and check to make sure you have an open port. It should say something like:
    **.***.**.** is accepting connections on Display 1 (TCP port 5901)
    If so, set the BASE PORT on PalmVNC to 5900, and the PORT on Share my desktop to 5901. Thatís what worked for me.
    For those that are getting disconnected from WinVNC when using scaling, you are using the wrong version of winvnc server on your desktop. You need to use the version that comes with PalmVNC 2.0 for scaling. If you right click the server icon and do "about" it should say something about server scaling supported. I dont really like the server scaling so I just use realvnc for the server and PalmVNC for my treo. Its pretty dang fast too. I have a VPN so I VPN into the network and then run VNC from there.

Looks like this was already answered... DOH!
    Do any of these products allow you to download a file from your desktop PC to your Treo? Or are they strictly remote control programs?

Thanks,
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Mobile TS does not.
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Does anyone know how to "right-click" on an icon in Mobile TS?
    I believe you tap and then hold down for a second. You'll see a red dot appear. That means you're in right click mode.
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    That worked perfectly. Thanks for the help.
    Ok, well, if anybody can get this going on Mac OS X, I'd love to hear what to do.

I have Share My Desktop installed and running the System VNC Server upon startup.
    I have a dyndns.org account up and running so that I have a consistent place to go.

So, I'm not sure if it's just my Palm VNC settings that are off. Could somebody detail what to do?

Begin at: X: __ , Y: __ (I assume this just means where on your desktop the screen will start up and these values shouldn't matter if I leave them at zero.)

If anybody could clue me in on to what might be the issue, I would appreciate it mightily. Thanks a lot.
    Alright, I'm going to try to help you here, eventhough i am running this off of a PC version of Ultravnc.

After you install the server component of VNC (the software on your PC). run the VNC Server App. Under mine, there's an "Accept Socket Connections" area. Make sure that is checked. Under it there's a password field, this is the password you're going to use to connect to your PC through VNC (we'll visit this in the future). Click on Ok and you are done for the server setup.

Now all you need to do is forward the VNC port to the server. If you have a uPnP setting, that's even better, but we'll stick with the Port Forwarding right now. Set a range for 5900 to 5999 of all incomming TCP traffic to point to your INTERNAL IP (Goto Start --> Run. Type "cmd" without the quotes. when the dos prompt comes up type "ipconfig" without the quotes). It's a different process for each router manufacturer, but if you specify it, I can help you go through the steps. Once this is done make sure you save the settings. I cannot tell how many times I have gone in and made changes and forgot to hit "Apply" or "Save Settings".

Lastly we setup the Client portion of VNC. But instead of confusing you more, i'm going to reply to your post line by line. Ok here goes:

That's good but make sure they point to your PC's internal IP.

Ok this is good.

Correct.

Correct.

I would leave the default which should be 0.

If the Share My Desktop VNC password you are referring to is the one from the Server Application on your PC, then yes. That is it. I dont know what the default is, so you will want to change it right after you install it on your PC.

Correct on both assumptions. I am not too sure what it does. I dont have any specifications on my settings. Presumeably, it dictates to VNC what the starting location of your VNC session is. So you can specify to start at x:0 y:0 (top left) portion of your server screen.

This is used if your server settings are set to have windows authentication. Default is off. Leave this blank.

Here's the tricky fellar. I had to play around with 5900 and 5901. Because you're letting VNC Server pick the port from the server app, it will choose by itself. I've had it where It was 5900 and other times it was 5901. But the numbers changed because I was futsing around with connecting to multiple machines on my firewall. So you should be good with 5900, if that doesnt work try 5901.

I hope that helps. Don't mean to confuse you.

-Blademonkey
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12