1.    #1  
    Hi, I just got the Treo650 and am trying to sync it using bluetooth with my Vaio laptop. I've tried looking for suggestions on how to setup a virtual port on the Vaio but not much out there. I have built-in bluetooth on the laptop.

Sorry if this sounds "duh!" to anyone on this board.

Thanks
    You using XP?

I think you just go to the make a new connection
    Start--Connect To----Show All connections--Above and to the left you should see "Create a new conection"

A wizard takes you through the process. I had never done it before. To start off, there is a little wizard on the T650 that helps you as well.

Also, when you pick a port, use a higher number like 5 or 6 to create your virtual port.
    Nanotechnology Nerd
    i300-->i330-->i500-->6700(1 wk!)-->Sprintt650-->gsm650-->HTC Universal (1 mo.)-->gsm650-->Cing8525(3wks!)-->gsm650
  3.    #3  
    I tried to go through the new connection wizard and it showed me only one additional port (COM4). I created it and set things up as the Treo help says but it gave me a "another application is using the port" error.

Hmmm....any further help?
    I set mine up yesterday on an older vaio. The software actually set it up on port 7. Once i set up the treo to this port it works. Took forever to sych however.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by jimHy
    I set mine up yesterday on an older vaio. The software actually set it up on port 7. Once i set up the treo to this port it works. Took forever to sych however.

Any idea as to how you set up the ports on Vaio? I can only see com 3 and 4 on mine
    If you have XP SP 2, it manages the Bluetooth connections. Can't help you with that. With XP SP1 or other Windows versions, you set it up in the Bluetooth Connection Manager that comes with the BT unit.
    Highly Mobile iPhone User

Palm Pilot -> Palm Pilot Pro -> HP 620LX -> Palm VII -> Palm VIIx -> Ipaq 3270 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p - iPhone - iPhone 3G
    I have gone up to COM 9 on my laptop and still get the "Port in use by another app". I have paired devices, setup PIM Sync, tried COM ports 5 thru 9 and still have no luck. I have double checked the hot sync setup for the correct local port. I have successfully synched with the cable to the laptop. I can't figure it out either.
    Road Below

IHS
    The problem is that u r setting up the same port for both applications, in the window where you have to setup the port asign any of the choices and make sure that in the other label of the window there is another port selected, that way you will be using different ports for different things, also check on hotsync custom that local serial be selected, I hope this help. Mario
    Finally!! It was OE, of course. I had my virtual serial port setup for manual start rather than automatic. Like the rest of you my sync was pretty slow but not too painful. At least it allows me to leave my cable at home and use bluetooth at the office.
    Road Below

IHS