1.    #1  
    I don't know about you, but it seems to me that every bug, delay, glitch, and reset, seems to be in direct corrolation with the new NVFS system that palmone has implemented in the 650. From backupman not working properly, to the extreme delay in hard button response.

Can any of you tech savvy people, who actually understand how these wonderful gizmos work concur?
    way to go sherlock
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet
    way to go sherlock
    Ha ha ha! I loooooooooove sarcasm.

Appreciate the confirmation dutchtrumpet!
    It's certainly some of the root cause. I have to disagree however that NVFS is bad. I think it's a necessary step for these kind of devices. The fact that third party apps need to be updated is not surprising. FYI, Backupman 1.52b5 has been working fine for me. The only issue is one they state that the pics & vids data isn't backed up and restored. Otherwise it's been working like a champ for both automated backups and on demand ones.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    BINGO!! Rest easy, all will be fine in the end.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis
    It's certainly some of the root cause. I have to disagree however that NVFS is bad. I think it's a necessary step for these kind of devices. The fact that third party apps need to be updated is not surprising. FYI, Backupman 1.52b5 has been working fine for me. The only issue is one they state that the pics & vids data isn't backed up and restored. Otherwise it's been working like a champ for both automated backups and on demand ones.
    You're refering to third party apps needing to be updated, when most of the issues in this forum are directly related to hardware, and the 650 ROM itself. It's like putting a speed boat engine, in a cadillac, then expecting the car to run without problems. This is crazy.

I agree with those who want to know why palmone didnt just give the 600 a better screen, camera, and bluetooth, and call it the 650. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"
    NVFS is going to be slower than the old style RAM only. No way around this. This is because while all of the data is stored on the NVFS, it is not ran from the NVFS, it has to be decompressed to the RAM (which only 10 MB is availabe for apps to decompress to) to actually run. I would like to know if the Phone App is always decompressed, or decompressed on demand. If it is the latter, this could explain the delays in the phone operations that people are seeing.
    why can't the RAM be the active storage for your data and have this "backed up" behind the scenes to the NVFS in slightly less than real time with a maximum dirty cache of x seconds ... seems like the performance would be SOOOO much better!
    Quote Originally Posted by bhodgins
    why can't the RAM be the active storage for your data and have this "backed up" behind the scenes to the NVFS in slightly less than real time with a maximum dirty cache of x seconds ... seems like the performance would be SOOOO much better!
    I believe that this is exactly what does happen.
    Regards,

Robert
    oh, then if that's so, maybe the programming is not as good as it should be ... I don't understand why it takes so much longer to load a program (without any write activity going on)
    NVFS was a solution looking for a problem. There was no reason to do it in a low memory device.

The two issues that it addressed, were not issued:

- loss of data ....no one has this problem, because the user base was trained to hotsyn$
    their time would have been better spent just sticking one of those rechargable ""button cell" batteries in there to retain the memory in case of a total primary mattery drain or when swapping batteries..
    Quote Originally Posted by bhodgins
    Well, PalmOne could not bear the cost of having another 16 MByte of RAM in the device. Or was it killing the battery?
    I have disagree with this:

1.) Lot of people have lost data after they entered before they synched. They stop using Palms.

2.) P1 needs to expand their user base not just cater to the existing one. If a customer can use the xyz phone (like for example the new Blackberry 7100t on T-Mobile) and not lose data, then the Treo has to be able to do this.

People need to get over this. This was a mandatory move for the market segment they are going after (phones not PDAs). Is there some hit, yes. But to be honest, I'm only really seeing this when switching to the phone. Given that's the case, I'm not even sure it's NVFS causing this. In the other apps there isn't enough of a hit for me to even see it.

Quote Originally Posted by mikec
    NVFS was a solution looking for a problem. There was no reason to do it in a low memory device.

The two issues that it addressed, were not issued:

- loss of data ....no one has this problem, because the user base was trained to hotsyn$
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680