Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    I emailed the company and just got this response...

Dear Dr. Machado,

TomTom Navigator is not currently compatible with the Treo 650. We are planning on releasing a version of our software compatible with the Treo 650 within the next three weeks. Please keep in touch with our website for details on availability.

Regards,

USA Sales
    Too late for XMAS. I put a holux bluetooth and mapopolis package on my list.

Too bad bad for tom tom.
    You might want to wait...just read a review of all the different GPS navigation companies/products. Tom Tom go the editors choice for accuracy, interface and features.
    I have TomTom loaded in 650 and seems to be working fine. I have not tested with a GPS unit yet as I'm still waiting for Semson to ship me the product. But the software itself seems fine in 650.

I believe PalmOne's GPS unit contains TomTom software and is compatible with 650.

I will update the functionality when I do get the bluetooth GPS unit.
    Hi

I read one of the postings saying during the use of bluetooth GPS, when the phone rings, the Treo 650 get confused about the status of the Bluetooth connection. It behaves as it is not connected and it requires to reset the Treo 650 to get it reconnected.

Anyone experienced this problem, If it is correct, is it feasible to use bluetooth GPS ?
    bestoverall: yikes! really? that is great news! Not that I doubt you but would it be possible for you to take a picture of it? I am insanely curious as to how it looks on the 650's screen.

Cluemeister: nothing beats TomTom. I have it on our company's Axim X30 and it is near perfect, a great deal better than Mapopolis, and their maps are much better and nicer looking, at least for the US, Germany and France.
    Quote Originally Posted by bestoverall
    I have TomTom loaded in 650 and seems to be working fine. I have not tested with a GPS unit yet as I'm still waiting for Semson to ship me the product. But the software itself seems fine in 650.

I believe PalmOne's GPS unit contains TomTom software and is compatible with 650.

I will update the functionality when I do get the bluetooth GPS unit.

I imagine it will, the 650 runs the same software as the T3, which I am running with the bluetooth antenna. I hope so - leaps and bounds better than mapopolis!!! Wish I was in your shoes, had the 650 and waiting for the GPS unit!!!!!!!!!
    I appreciate the feedback guys. I had sent an email to tomtom, and I received a reply that basically said "won't run on the 650, and no mac version planned".

I don't know if you need Windows to transfer map data to the sd cards, but I couldn't go with a system that was questionable whether it worked or not on two platforms.

If somebody has tomtom on their 650, and is using a mac to transfer map data, I'm listening!
    Now I see tomtom has posted a price of $149 on their website for map only software for your palm. So, if I got the holux gps and the tomtom navigator software, and used a relative's pc to transfer the maps to my SD card....You know, this is crazy talk, but it just might work!

Of course, under OSX I should be able to open those cd's and find the file manually and just drag it to the card...hmmm

Clue
    Cluemeister: I'll be happy to test that when I buy TomTom for my 650. I use Windows primarily but I also own a couple of OS X Panther workstations.
    Oh and BTW (I thought i had posted a topic like this? where did it go?) - I have a Belkin Bluetooth GPS, which is also known as the Fortuna BT GPS. It works perfectly with the 650. I know because I run it with a freeware program called cotoGPS, which reads all the pertinent data from the GPS and displays all relevant data - speed, heading , distance traveled, global location, etc.
    I haven't however received a call while using it, I will check that out tomorrow.
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    I have the standalone TomTom GO unit... it kicks ***!

Not sure I'd want to converge all that onto my Treo 650. Smaller screen, battery life, etc. and I wouldn't be able to use dial phone while TomTom navigates.

But it's good to see we're making progress.
    (crosspost)
    I am testing a Belkin/Fortuna BT GPS with cotoGPS (GPS testing program). When a call comes in while using the GPS it gets routed to voicemail automatically. No crashes, no dropped GPS connection. I get the voicemail alert when exiting the GPS program. Seems like a reasonable compromise.
    Quote Originally Posted by NSiNSiNSi
    bestoverall: yikes! really? that is great news! Not that I doubt you but would it be possible for you to take a picture of it? I am insanely curious as to how it looks on the 650's screen.

Cluemeister: nothing beats TomTom. I have it on our company's Axim X30 and it is near perfect, a great deal better than Mapopolis, and their maps are much better and nicer looking, at least for the US, Germany and France.
    I don't know how to take a photo and post it on the web. But it looks identical to TomTom on any other PDA. I've not noticed any difference say between T3 and 650, except 650 is alot clear and brighter due to its screen. I think it will work just fine. I will let you know how it works out when I get my bluetooth iTrek from Semson.
    Quote Originally Posted by bestoverall
    I don't know how to take a photo and post it on the web. But it looks identical to TomTom on any other PDA. I've not noticed any difference say between T3 and 650, except 650 is alot clear and brighter due to its screen. I think it will work just fine. I will let you know how it works out when I get my bluetooth iTrek from Semson.
    #1 How does it crop the screen to 320 x 320? i.e., does it drop part of the screen, or does it squish the image?

#2 How did you get the maps on an sd card? Windows or mac?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cluemeister
    #1 How does it crop the screen to 320 x 320? i.e., does it drop part of the screen, or does it squish the image?

#2 How did you get the maps on an sd card? Windows or mac?

Thanks
    1. You loose a small portion of the map, but it's not a big deal. What 's important is the voice prompt. On 650, the sound is much louder than the traditional PDA. I have TomTom installed on T3. Comparing the sound quality between T3 and 650, 650 is much louder and clearer.

2.. I used card reader. Maps are too big to load using Hotsync unless you are doing it overnight.

There is another thread who is using TomTom on 650 with bluetooth receiver.

Do a search.