1.    #1  
    It may seem obvious, but I haven't seen it mentioned.

1. Hold the microphone closer to your mouth

Because of the way the phone is designed, you have to somewhat counterintuitively slide the bottom of the mic closer to your mouth and the speaker moves a tad away from your ear. People have also recommended

2. Speak more softly
    3. Also turn the microphone down.

You'll find sound quality improves dramatically for the listener as the microphone no longer has to try to filter/condense as much for background sound. This would also explain why people are having such a wide range of experiences with the sound quality for the other end of the conversation. Both circumstance and phone position affect the result. Though I don't doubt that there may be quality control issues with the mic.

4. Of course, try to minimize background sounds, as this interfers with any telephone call, but especially cell phones

and

5. Use the earpiece when you can -- for safety when driving, ease of use, and generally, better sound quality.

Cameraman

Interested in hiking, check out http://homepage.newschool.edu/~at2k/ for a DVD about the Appalachian Trail.
    Standing on your head with one shoe off while using the phone at midnight on the roof of a public library also helps. But you have to arrainge that there is NO wind or breeze at all and no birds nearby. Why the complaints?
    How does one "turn the microhpone down"?
    Sorry, but I'm not jumping through all those hoops on my $600 device just so the caller can hear me. That's insane.
  5.    #5  
    Sorry, I don't think it's a lot of hoops. Simply hold the mic a few millemeters closer and turn down the volume (the big rocker switch on the side) and talk like a human being.

Maybe it's not the phone that's broken. We've just been using it incorrectly.
    So now we need lessons on how to talk on the phone? If my dog barks in the next room my audio fades. And I suspect ALL of us who have clear sound on our end have done the tap dancing trying to get audio that doesn't drop sound on the other end. Since so many have the same problem, ever think it may be the phone. . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by mausalot
    Sorry, I don't think it's a lot of hoops. Simply hold the mic a few millemeters closer and turn down the volume (the big rocker switch on the side) and talk like a human being.

Maybe it's not the phone that's broken. We've just been using it incorrectly.
    So the problem has been an issue of millimeters and talking like some inhuman beast? Wow, hopefully P1 releases instructions on how to use a mobile phone so everyone worldwide can finally conduct themselves properly while using a mobile device.

/sarcasm

Now, you do have good points, e.g. don't use the phone at a rock concert while holding it a foot from your mouth blabbering inaudibly. Got that part, however, I find it incredibly suspect that of all (~10) mobile phones I've ever owned, I suddenly receive complaints when using the 650. Every other phone, including the junker freebies, have had much better voice quality than this device. I have used several other phones in identical settings as I do now (w/the 650) and have never received a complaint. Don't you agree this is suspect?

I really honestly believe it isn't our fault. There are serious inconsistencies in the QC, design (microphone), and software. I think their choice on the microphone and/or their tweaking of the software was a mistake. P1 will likely skirt the issue, dismissing the issue as some "internet message board nonsense," which is unacceptable.

I believe their have been enough complaints from this tiny sample of reality (e.g. TC.com) to indicate the phone, rather than the user, is at fault here.

Thanks for the tips, however.