1.    #1  
    In the inbox view, what does a "check" mark to the left of the envelope icon indicate? I have one message with such a check mark. I tried a bunch of things on a different message such as reply, forward etc. but cannot reproduce the check mark.
    It means that big brother is watching ....... hahahah just kidding.

It means that the message is selected. From the inbox view if you click on the little diamond on the left side of the screen for any message it turns into a check mark. Then you can use the menu commands to 'Move To', 'Mark Read', 'Delete' etc. THe menu also has a select all (to make them all checked) and a deselect all that will un check any checked message in that folder.
  3.    #3  
    Ahh! I didn't try clicking on it. How dumb can I get?

Quote Originally Posted by dang
    It means that big brother is watching ....... hahahah just kidding.

It means that the message is selected. From the inbox view if you click on the little diamond on the left side of the screen for any message it turns into a check mark. Then you can use the menu commands to 'Move To', 'Mark Read', 'Delete' etc. THe menu also has a select all (to make them all checked) and a deselect all that will un check any checked message in that folder.