1.    #1  
    I've seen numerous posts about quality control for the 650 or lack thereof. Being in a two-Treo 650 household, I have to concur there are quality variations among the 650's. Evidently that "batches" aren't as uniform as one would expect.

One significant difference that my husband noticed between his 650 and mine --our screens are noticeably different at the same settings. His 650 has a yellowish cast--similar to some of the Ipaq screens we've seen. Mine has a more blue cast. Best analogy I can make for the comparison is think incandescent vs. fluorescent. His has the more incandescent cast to it. And my text is a bit sharper, darker, crisper and my display slightly brighter. There's enough of a difference that I offered to trade 650's with him so he could have the better screen. Being the gentleman that he is, he declined...and besides, it's not GSM, so trading would be more trouble than it's worth.

Plus...
    His has gotten much better battery life out of the box than mine has so far. That's a tougher comparison to be absolutely certain about, though, because our usage patterns differ as well as how low we let the battery get before a recharge. But we're not that far off from each other. I wonder if the differences in our screens account for the apparent differences in battery life. With mine being a bit brighter, it would be no surprise if it drains the battery more.
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeywithacold
    I've seen numerous posts about quality control for the 650 or lack thereof. Being in a two-Treo 650 household, I have to concur there are quality variations among the 650's. Evidently that "batches" aren't as uniform as one would expect.

One significant difference that my husband noticed between his 650 and mine --our screens are noticeably different at the same settings. His 650 has a yellowish cast--similar to some of the Ipaq screens we've seen. Mine has a more blue cast. Best analogy I can make for the comparison is think incandescent vs. fluorescent. His has the more incandescent cast to it. And my text is a bit sharper, darker, crisper and my display slightly brighter. There's enough of a difference that I offered to trade 650's with him so he could have the better screen. Being the gentleman that he is, he declined...and besides, it's not GSM, so trading would be more trouble than it's worth.

Plus...
    His has gotten much better battery life out of the box than mine has so far. That's a tougher comparison to be absolutely certain about, though, because our usage patterns differ as well as how low we let the battery get before a recharge. But we're not that far off from each other. I wonder if the differences in our screens account for the apparent differences in battery life. With mine being a bit brighter, it would be no surprise if it drains the battery more.
    please forgive a dumb question, but are you comparing the two screens with the same brightness settings for both? my screen takes on a progressively more 'blue' cast the brighter i set it.

again, sorry for the dumb question.
    Paul Theodoropoulos
    <a href=http://www.anastrophe.com>www.anastrophe.com</a>
    There were huge variations in the Treo 600 screens, and I've seen this in many laptops as well. I've only had two 650s to compare, but the screens on those were basically the same. It's doubtful that the screen variations would account for any significant difference in battery life.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
  4.    #4  
    Not a dumb question--the comparison would certainly be invalid if the treos were set differently. Answer--we checked the settings to make them match and there still was a difference. Not just in the color cast but also in the vibrancy and crispness of the text.

bcaslis, thanks. I had not known there were huge variations in the Treo 600 screens, too. My husband and I also both had Hitachi G1000's and there was no variation between them so we were a bit surprised to note such a noticeable difference between our 650's.

Kind of a bummer if someone gets a screen like the one on my husband's 650 and then sees the screen I have on mine. Screen envy would ensue!

Um, but my 650's battery life isn't anything to brag about. I really have to charge mine every day. I can get by on charging it every other day but on the second day that's pushing the meter down past my comfort zone. One night I forgot and left it on my nightstand and woke up to a completely dead battery on the morning of the third day. Battery life is a LOT better than on my Hitachi, though. Still, I remember my husband's old 600 going for a few days without a charge. It just seemed like more of a workhorse and that was what I'd been hoping for my 650.