1.    #1  
    Can the Treo be used as a pager as well as a phone and PDA? I'd love to decrease the load on my belt by another device.

sure can.

Sprint hasa feature in its voicemail system that let's users leava numeric page instead of a voicemail.
    My Bluetooth "Toys"

Sprint Treo 700p
    2005 Dodge Magnum RT w/UConnect
    HP DeskJet 450wbt
    as well, you can receive text messages as the equivalent of pages, no problem. I receive many text pages every day - automated reports on system status, etc..

the only downside is that the text messages don't have the backend 'urgency' as a genuine paging system, meaning that it is not entirely uncommon to experience an interval where the text messages arrive five minute, twenty minutes, an hour late.

historically i've found it tends to occur in waves - my text messages will come in reliably - arriving within one to four minutes of being sent - for many months on end, then the reliability will sink down for a while, maybe a couple of weeks, where messages are delayed as mentioned above, then it clears up again.

i think it's pretty likely that it's nothing more than normal growth curve response, with sprint responding to the delays by deploying more servers to handle the additional traffic.

for non-life-or-death matters, that's acceptable, but for someone whose pages really are mission critical, it can be a real problem when you hit one of those stretches of slow response times.
    Paul Theodoropoulos
    <a href=http://www.anastrophe.com>www.anastrophe.com</a>
    Pagers work on a different frequency and seem to penetrate buildings better than cell signals. If you do not have a mission critical reason to have bulletproof paging, then dump the pager and use the Treo (SMS, e-mail, phone call or whatever pleases you).
    the only downside is that the text messages don't have the backend 'urgency' as a genuine paging system, meaning that it is not entirely uncommon to experience an interval where the text messages arrive five minute, twenty minutes, an hour late.

historically i've found it tends to occur in waves - my text messages will come in reliably - arriving within one to four minutes of being sent - for many months on end, then the reliability will sink down for a while, maybe a couple of weeks, where messages are delayed as mentioned above, then it clears up again.
    Thank you for saying this. I have three services right now on different phones. Cingular - Tmobile - Sprint. I DEPEND on instantaneous pages, not for fun, but for work. In previous threads everytime I mention how unreliable Sprints SMS is, people jump all over me telling me that it really reliable now. I have it, and it is not reliable for me at all. The delays can be from 1 minute to 2 days lag. All three carriers used to have this, but for me, in my area Cingular is 99.9% and always withing a minute for SMS, usually under 30 seconds. MMS is a different story, but I don't need MMS.
    A good paging system wil have much quicker throughput and superior coverage to most cellular systems. I'll be thrilled just to combine the phone and Palm when the GSM 650 is released. Down to 2 devices anyway.
    Mark Bergman
    I have replaced my RIM pager with my T650, using Chatter (http://www.imchatter.com/) to approximate its 'push' email capabilities. You'll need an IMAP account on an IMAP server with the IDLE capability for this to work. I initially tried using SMS, but I didn't like the 160-character limit, and the inability to see who was on the CC list, plus I was concerned about the SMS reliability after hearing what everyone here had to say about it.

The only drawback to the IMAP/Chatter solution is that any delays in mail delivery will delay messages, but since I control the servers sending the mail and the servers receiving the mail, and short delays aren't that big of a deal, I am comfortable using this as a paging solution.
    I have had the same thoughts about getting rid of my pager. The problem is that the Treo relies on a phone signal to receive pages. No phone signal (for example, deep inside a multi-level hospital) and you won't get your pages. For me (I work as a doctor) this is a problem. Somehow, the basic pagers can receive pages no matter where you are. (In the deepest basement thick-walled room).

So, I too, am down to two devices, my Treo and my pager.
    This is a timely topic for me. I am in the Bay Area and have been with Verizon for many years now. I depend on SMS for paging for my work. Verizon has been extremely reliable, more so than a pager because if I am in an area that I can't receive a page, it will be delivered to me when I am back in coverage. There are pagers and paging service that will do that (SurePage for example) but it costs a whole lot more.

I am expecting a 650 in a couple of days to try out. Of all the potential issues, SMS messaging could be the deal breaker. I don't need to receive the page right away, just within 20 minutes. But a SMS msg 2 day late is ludicrous. If Sprint SMS service is inconsistent over the long run, my 15 days trial is useless.

Perhaps I should wait for Cingular?
    Global Posts
    252 Global Posts
    I ditched my pager over a year ago when I got my T600. Even if I am in bowls of the hospital at least when I surface I get my SMS from the paging company. If I miss the page on the pager I just don't get it. In my instance with TMO it has worked fine here in NJ.

I just upgraded to Sprint and a 650 so I will havwe to see about the paging SMS now.
    I don't know how this applies to pagers, but I have AT&T and have found that if my phone has low reception and a miss a call (but my phone does not ring) I will still receive my voice mail notification. This could be a GSM things. But like I said, not sure if this would apply in any way to paging functions of phone.

I do have a question though, why would you need or even use a pager? If you get paged...you will have to call the person to speak to them, hence easier to just answer the phone in the first place. And if you are busy, just ignore the call and you have caller ID and can call the person back (or they leave a message). Also, with all the e-mail, text, SMS, etc...features on phones these days why bother with pager???
    I do have a question though, why would you need or even use a pager? If you get paged...you will have to call the person to speak to them, hence easier to just answer the phone in the first place. And if you are busy, just ignore the call and you have caller ID and can call the person back (or they leave a message). Also, with all the e-mail, text, SMS, etc...features on phones these days why bother with pager???
    I soley rely on the Treo for Paging with Cingular, it is great. And I disagree with the statement above. I don't have to make a call whenever I am paged that is the reason for text. Often times someone is letting me know the status of something or I let my secretary know where I am if my boss asks. Saves time and resources. Voicemail is a complete waste of time for both parties. Text paging is quick and efficeint, and you can do it while in meetings and not disturb anyone.
    I use mine for work. Everyone else uses Verizon paging, but I found out that there was a Verizon paging signal hole in my bedroom. : ) Since the process I support runs at 5AM, that's where the pager has to be. So I gave up and switched to using my Treo. I have pages sent via email to my @sprintpcs.com email, not phonenumber@messaging.sprintpcs.com, but my @sprintpcs.com email is set to forward to the @messaging.sprintpcs.com address, so that I get notification. But by sending first to the email, I'm not limited to the 250 characters or whatever the SMS limit is. Works like a champ.

I usually get my messages at the same time as the Verizon users do, and sometimes a minute or two earlier. Sometimes it's later, but rarely.
    The pages I receive are sent by computers to alert me when something needs my attention. But I admit it would be cool at first, then creepy, and annoying if these computers would call me. I guess if they are that smart to call me with an intelligent message, then they should be able to fix themself. But for now, all I will get is an old fashion text message.
    I use TMO for my paging because its so easy. Customers can hit 1 and punch their number and its done. The reason other people detect a delay is unlike tradtional pagers, SMS paging is assured delivery. By that I mean the network will deliver it to you only when it knows you will get it. The phone sends out a beacon of sorts saying 'I'm Here', when the network sees the phone it delivers the message and gets a small token response knowing it was sent. The delay for others here is the phone must not be able to 'log in' to the network to get its messages. This happens to me from time to time.

But, when I am trained up on the network the messages are instant. I have my network monitors sending me pages only when really bad stuff happens. I have found it to be reliable enough. It is true that pagers use lower frequencies so they will penetrate buildings better, but that doesn't have a negative affect on me.

Lasly, I use Treo Alert Manager from Pdaapps. It gives the Treo a nag feature like a pager so when I leave the phone upstairs and don't hear the message initally, every few minutes there is chirp. Worth every penny.

Derek