1.    #1  
    <Flame Retardant Clothing ON>
    Okay. I've converted a number of .wav files to .amr files for use as ringtones. I've moved the .amr files to my T650. When I go to the Preferences>sounds & alerts, I dont see any way to add additional ringtone choices to the available sounds.

(FYI, I did search thru the manual as well as search forums here. I am sure this has been discussed before...just can't find the info.)

Humbly yours,
    Argelius
    How did you save them to the Treo? You can download them from a website, get them from an email message, or transfer via bluetooth. Whenever I do any of these I get a message asking the name to be used (defaults to the file name) and after clicking OK get the sound manage dialog. I've done this so far with MIDI, AMR, and WAV files no problem.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
  3.    #3  
    I just transferred them using HotSych. (I tried putting both on the Treo and the SD card, but to no avail). Perhaps I'll have to just email them to myself (since I don't have Bluetooth on my PC)... Seems rather cumbersome.
    Weird: When I try to beam a .wav file from my 600 to my 650, the 650 complains, saying "The data was not accepted."
    Highly Mobile iPhone User

Palm Pilot -> Palm Pilot Pro -> HP 620LX -> Palm VII -> Palm VIIx -> Ipaq 3270 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p - iPhone - iPhone 3G
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeTampa
    Weird: When I try to beam a .wav file from my 600 to my 650, the 650 complains, saying "The data was not accepted."

I think that is because .wav files are not supported. You have to convert the wavs to .amr files.

K
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis
    You can download them from a website, get them from an email message, or transfer via bluetooth. Whenever I do any of these I get a message asking the name to be used (defaults to the file name) and after clicking OK get the sound manage dialog. I've done this so far with MIDI, AMR, and WAV files no problem.

That's not what Bcaslis is reporting.

Palm Pilot -> Palm Pilot Pro -> HP 620LX -> Palm VII -> Palm VIIx -> Ipaq 3270 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p - iPhone - iPhone 3G
    You can't add ringtones via Hotsync. You have to do this via web download, or email, or bluetooth (I suppose IR might work also but I haven't tried it).

Have successfully added MIDI, WAV, and AMR via bluetooth transfer. The P1 specs say WAV isn't supported. That is clearly not true, but there could be limited on supported rates. I am using 8KHz mono WAV files to have space and they work fine. The following page from P1 tell you how to use MIDI and AMR http://kb.palmone.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE?New,kb=PalmSupportKB,ts=Palm_External2001,CASE=obj(19349) . If you transfer the WAV file via bluetooth the same method works for it. I have done this myself with all three formats.
  8.    #8  
    I'll give the IR and email a try...
    Thanks.
    OK, it seems as if Ptunes is interfering. Can you tell me what choices you get to save the .wav file when you download it from the web, please? I get Ptunes or the Card. Neither one results in the file being imported into the ringtone manager.

I've only transferred WAV files via bluetooth. In another thread someone talked about doing it from the web, but I haven't tried that directly. Note that there could be limitations on which WAV encoding is supported, I've only directly tried 8KHz, mono files myself.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeTampa
    OK, it seems as if Ptunes is interfering. Can you tell me what choices you get to save the .wav file when you download it from the web, please? I get Ptunes or the Card. Neither one results in the file being imported into the ringtone manager.
    OK, I tried Bluetooth and it indeed worked. Weird, though; it plays in the Ringtone manager, but will not play when selected as the ringtone for a Contact, and not when that contact calls you. Might have to downconvert this WAV or something. Here it is, if anyone wants to check it out...

http://www.ab2m.net/misc/0614hellomoto.wav

Yes there seems to be a bug using AMR for a contact. MIDI works OK and I've seen it reported that WAV works but I haven't tested it myself yet.
  13.    #13  
    FYI, I transferred a .amr file via IR and it worked great. I used the Nokia Multimedia Converter to convert a .wav to an .amr. It worked "great", although the sound quality of the output file on the Treo was pretty crappy. (Not nearly as bright and crisp as the built-in sounds. Guess I need to experiment a bit more...
    I have callfilter and mp3 files do not work; as a fluke it worked once or twice but other than that it just didn't work.
    I did some more testing and found:

1.) WAV files in 11KHz, 8 bit mono work fine too and sound much better than 8KHz. They are proportionally bigger but I think this is the best tradeoff in size versus quality we can get without MP3.

2.) Individual ringtones in the favorites don't work with either AMR or WAV. I'm sure if it's supposed to be like this or if it's a bug.
    So it worked as a ringtone for Known or Unknown callers? That's the only place it seems to work for me.