Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1.    #1  
    What does this mean?
    * CMS makes cell phone software, so POS functionality and PIM will show up on less expensive phones.
    * Chinese Palm market is expanded.
    * POS for Linux announced.
    OTHER NEWS:
    * Palm Source expects Cobalt 6.1 devices to ship in '05
    Read more here
    "'Form follows function' — that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hair
    What does this mean?
    * CMS makes cell phone software, so POS functionality and PIM will show up on less expensive phones.
    * Chinese Palm market is expanded.
    * POS for Linux announced.
    OTHER NEWS:
    * Palm Source expects Cobalt 6.1 devices to ship in '05
    Read more here
    China is making headway into mainstream companies.

    IBM just sold their PC business to a Chinese company.
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

    Avatar courtesy of ButtUglyJeff!
  3. #3  
    "It may not be clear to everyone just how great a potential is being unveiled today. Because Linux standards will be exposed on Palm OS devices, much of our existing desktop and server software can be moved to the mobile platform just by typing "make" and waiting for the sources to compile. That brings a power to the platform that lacks only a good user-interface, PalmSource's forté, to bring incredible capability to the mobile user. The Open Source community has done this on niche platforms before, but the Palm OS partnership will bring that power to the mass market."

    This could be big, if implemented correctly. Hopefully we'll see this on a Treo before 2007.
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Otter Emperor
    China is making headway into mainstream companies.

    IBM just sold their PC business to a Chinese company.
    Or PalmSource is making headway into China as would be the case with them buying a Chinese company.
  5. Iceman6's Avatar
    Posts
    463 Posts
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hair
    What does this mean?
    * CMS makes cell phone software, so POS functionality and PIM will show up on less expensive phones.
    * Chinese Palm market is expanded.
    * POS for Linux announced.
    OTHER NEWS:
    * Palm Source expects Cobalt 6.1 devices to ship in '05
    What does it mean? It means PalmSource came to their senses, that's what!! This is the best news I've heard we got our first glimpse of the Treo600.

    For one thing, instead of some half-baked, inept Cobalt OS, we get a state-of-the-art Linux OS with a Palm user interface. To get an idea of Linux's potential on a handheld, check this out:
    http://www.phonearena.com/htmls/readreviews.php?id=66

    To get an idea of a friendly user interface running on top of Unix, think Apple Macintosh.
  6. #6  
    Would this instantly help the Palm platform include multitasking?
  7. Iceman6's Avatar
    Posts
    463 Posts
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    #7  
    Yes.
  8. #8  
    It's GREAT news for Palm OS chances of survival in the long run. Unfortunately, until they get the new OS up and running (a year at least?) the current OS is a lame duck.
  9. #9  
    I tried to put on the free supplied screen protector, and had the same problems everyone else did. However, I had also ordered a set of screen protectors from the PalmOne store. I was disappointed to see that these where the same kind that came with my Treo. However, they also included this laminated cardboard card, and a piece of soft buffing fabric with the set of protectors. Unfornatunately, the protectors didn't come with any instructions, but I think I figured them out.

    Using the the buffing cloth to clean the screen beforehand, and the card to smooth things out, and putting the protector on VERY slowly, I got it to work really well by my second or third try. At this point, you can't even tell there's a screen protector on unless you look REALLY closely, and you can't FEEL it on at all. I'm very happy with the results.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by CMKSpoons
    I tried to put on the free supplied screen protector, and had the same problems everyone else did. However, I had also ordered a set of screen protectors from the PalmOne store. I was disappointed to see that these where the same kind that came with my Treo. However, they also included this laminated cardboard card, and a piece of soft buffing fabric with the set of protectors. Unfornatunately, the protectors didn't come with any instructions, but I think I figured them out.

    Using the the buffing cloth to clean the screen beforehand, and the card to smooth things out, and putting the protector on VERY slowly, I got it to work really well by my second or third try. At this point, you can't even tell there's a screen protector on unless you look REALLY closely, and you can't FEEL it on at all. I'm very happy with the results.
    I think you have the wrong thread here. Try again.
  11. Iceman6's Avatar
    Posts
    463 Posts
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    #11  
    He's talking about the China MicroSOFT buffing fabric.

Posting Permissions