Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Per the recommendation on Palm's site and info from this forum, I downloaded the Nokia utility to convert MP3 to AMR. It seemed to work fine, but when I played on my Treo it was way too loud and the quality was poor. I tried on two different clips and even lowered the db on the clips. Even lowering to -20db (used Audacity), the loudness isn't there but it still sounds bad. Anyone done this with decent quality?
    I've done a lot of converting with this. The really is that AMR is a much reduced audio format. Many sounds and music will sound awful with it. Voices aren't too bad. It is unfortunately a reality. You can also use WAV instead of AMR to get better quality but at a big size cost.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis
    You can also use WAV instead of AMR to get better quality but at a big size cost.
    You mean to use WAV files instead of MP3's (not AMR), right?

That's really to bad. I was looking forward to using this method.
    What is AMR
  5.    #5  
    you can use WAV files in the built in "Manage Sounds" app?
    I don't think you can use WAV files for the ringers. However, w/ the Nokia convert utility, you can convert WAV/MP3's into the AMR format, which the 650 recognizes.

However, it sounds like the quality is greatly depreciated during the conversion.
    No, you can definitely use WAV files as ringers. You can't use WAV files on the SD, but if you send the file via bluetooth it puts it in the sound manager app. I'm doing this with my 650 so I know it works. There may be restrictions on which sample rates are supported, I'm currently using 8KHz mono to save space but it does work.
    AMR is a type of audio encoding that results in very small sizes (much smaller than MP3) but with significant compression. It works very well for voices but not very good for music. If you make a voice recording on the Treo 650 it is storing it as AMR and you can use that as a ringtone (as well as send AMR files from your computer). Go to http://kb.palmone.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE?New,kb=PalmSupportKB,ts=Palm_External2001,CASE=obj(19349) to learn about adding AMR ringtones to the Treo 650.

Quote Originally Posted by thomasanderson
    What is AMR
    Thanks for the info, bcaslis.
    Yeah, the AMR files are much worse in sound than I'd hoped. It's like AM radio gone bad.
    bcaslis,

Are you converting from MP3 to WAV? If so, what utility are you using to convert them to 8KHz mono? Thanks.

Edit: Nevermind, I found it. Thanks anyway.
  11.    #11  
    cool, thanks for the tip, didn't know you could use WAV files as ringers. here's how I did it with Audacity:

1. clipped MP3 down to short length (10 secs)
    2. converted to WAV
    3. converted to mono and 8khz sample (size down to 490k)
    4. emailed to Palm
    5. in Versamail, select the little notepad next to the attachment - open in Sounds
    6. can assign as ringtone!

very cool, except that it takes up so much space, but it can be done without third party software.
    Quote Originally Posted by dirkpitt73
    cool, thanks for the tip, didn't know you could use WAV files as ringers. here's how I did it with Audacity:

2. converted to WAV
    4. emailed to Palm
    5. in Versamail, select the little notepad next to the attachment - open in Sounds

very cool, except that it takes up so much space, but it can be done without third party software.
    You can also use the qcp format for sprint phones. also known as QCELP.

some info here:
    http://www.cdmatech.com/solutions/pr.../purevoice.jsp

they have converters for windows, mac, solaris, and linux.
    QCELP format and AMR will provide about the same quality. So if you are unhappy with results from AMR, you won't see much difference with QCELP. Both these formats will work OK for voice but most music or tones won't sound very good.
    Voice audio data is very different from music audio data. MP3 does a great job with music, but is very inefficient with voice. QCELP and AMR do a great job with voice, but can't really handle music very well.
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    And can *any* of these formats (WAV, AMR, QCELP) be used as customized ringtones for individual callers in our speed dial listings?

I recorded voice directly on the device using the "New" button under "Manager" in Sound & Alerts preference. But when I assign that new ringer to the specific speed dial person, and then have them call me, it doesn't work. Instead all I hear is the default "known caller" tone.
    No, only midi tones work for the individual caller tones in the favorites. Probably a bug but no known way around this.
    You can use wav or MP3 files and assign them to individual callers. In fact you can record the wave files on the 650. You need two third party software utilities.
    MP3ring or mring will assign wav files or mp3's as a ringer. mring can assign a ring to different contacts. for the other file and more info see my other posts for more details.
    Quote Originally Posted by dirkpitt73

2. converted to WAV
    4. emailed to Palm

Thank you for the help!

The things I learned:
    1. wav HAS to be in 8Khz Mono (I used winamp v2.91 - old but works well)
    2. When i proceeded to step 5, i had to "select viewer", then select "sounds", and then I saved the file. (I assume this is because I installed "Voice Memo")
    3. 8khz sounds bad
    Quote Originally Posted by sanjobzo
    Thank you for the help!

The things I learned:
    1. wav HAS to be in 8Khz Mono (I used winamp v2.91 - old but works well)
    3. 8khz sounds bad
    I had a 44.1khz 16-bit stereo wav work as a ringer. I found a wav that sounds like the nextel walkie talkie beep, but it repeats so fast for a ringer it sounds pretty weird. I tried adding a few seconds of silence to the end using window's sound recorder, but the file size grew to over 700kb!! it does work though but I'm not willing to give up that much space for a ringtone. lowering the quality of the file sounds bad so I'm sticking with the stock midi's.
    -- berto
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis
    No, you can definitely use WAV files as ringers. You can't use WAV files on the SD, but if you send the file via bluetooth it puts it in the sound manager app. I'm doing this with my 650 so I know it works. There may be restrictions on which sample rates are supported, I'm currently using 8KHz mono to save space but it does work.
    hey are you able to use those same wav files as individual ringtones (in a favourites button)? cos it just doesn't work for me in that situation.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast