Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    The PalmOne Road Show was so long ago, I forgot when it actually was. Palm did not think this through very well and certainly alienated all of us who took time out of our schedules to attend the show.

My company was considering equipping our sales force of 35 with Treo's but the delay cost Palm and the "Pocket PC Club" here won by default. I had to send two emails to Vienna to cancel before I actually received a response.

If I were Vienna, I would really be hacked, because Palm basically has screwed them and every single one of us, for the bigger channel. (SPRINT? ) What a suprise.....

On a happier note, your Sprint store will have plenty of 650's for the Holiday Season.................................
    Welcome to the club.
    Why didn't your company go out and buy one at the Sprint store or from P1 directly if your company needs it so bad? The difference is only $250 and you can always return it if you don't like it. Are you telling us that your company can't afford the extra $250?
    "Rip-Off" seems a little harsh. What did you pay to attend the show? How were you exploited or cheated?

Granted that if I were running things I would have put the attendees higher on the list to get their units, but I'm willing to wait to save the $250.

I agree that if your need was so immediate there were better channels to approach than a marketing company (i.e., VC).
    "There has always been a tension in conservatism between those who favor more liberty and those who want more morality. But what's indisputable is that Bush's 'compassionate conservatism' is a move toward the latter - the use of the government to impose and subsidize certain morals over others. He is fusing big government liberalism with religious right moralism. It's the nanny-state with more cash." -- www.AndrewSullivan.com
    Patiently waiting for 7 GSM.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome
    Why didn't your company go out and buy one at the Sprint store or from P1 directly if your company needs it so bad? The difference is only $250 and you can always return it if you don't like it. Are you telling us that your company can't afford the extra $250?
    THere was no immediate need, and yes we can afford the extra $250, but I submitted a budget for the test and was told to adhere to it. I was up against some serious politics within and had to lobby quite hard to get them to even consider changing to the Palm OS/650.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by satyric
    "Rip-Off" seems a little harsh. What did you pay to attend the show? How were you exploited or cheated?

Granted that if I were running things I would have put the attendees higher on the list to get their units, but I'm willing to wait to save the $250.

I agree that if your need was so immediate there were better channels to approach than a marketing company (i.e., VC).
    How many of the attendees would have actually gone without the carrot of a 650 with a huge discount. I should have said, Palm ripped off Vienna and gave them a bad name, now Jeff is catching all the dissension. Vienna should have gotten some guarantees from Palm. I personally would not have been able to seal the idea of the 650 to Sr Management with out the allure of a discounted unit and being able to evaluate it in a timely manner. Did we not all believe that we would get the unit before the regular channels?????
    Sounds like it was you vs. the rest of the office. It's always tough to win those battles.
    Make It Happen!!
    If you don't, who will?
    I would not call it a "rip off" (yet anyway!) But it was certainly not well thought-out or exicuted. Taking this long to get the phones into the hands of the attendees, defeats a large reason to have the roadshows in the first place.

I know one attendee that is waiting on several demo units. He wanted to evaluate them so the recomendation could be made to the boss before the end of the year. As a result of the delay, he is being made to look bad to his boss. He is probably going to recomend that they go to BB.

If there was going to be this big of a delay, they should of not done the Roadshows until they could have prompt delivery of the units. Indeed, it would have been great if units (at least demo ones) could have been available at the shows.

Can't imagine anyway this is VC's fault, unless you blame them for not getting some assurances up front about delivery. This has got to be a huge headache for them.
    Quote Originally Posted by midmofan

If there was going to be this big of a delay, they should of not done the Roadshows until they could have prompt delivery of the units. Indeed, it would have been great if units (at least demo ones) could have been available at the shows.

Can't imagine anyway this is VC's fault, unless you blame them for not getting some assurances up front about delivery. This has got to be a huge headache for them.
    I agree 100%. Clearly neither VC or P1 planned on getting the order response that they've received as a result of the Roadshows.

The irony is that we're probably responsible for the delays ourselves. Without the disclosure of the discount on TC I'm guessing the volume of orders would be nowhere near the level that it's at now (>1500).
    "There has always been a tension in conservatism between those who favor more liberty and those who want more morality. But what's indisputable is that Bush's 'compassionate conservatism' is a move toward the latter - the use of the government to impose and subsidize certain morals over others. He is fusing big government liberalism with religious right moralism. It's the nanny-state with more cash." -- www.AndrewSullivan.com
    Something happened, either investor revolt or the news of all the new phones that pushed the release of the 650. It appears that P1 was not at all ready for this release. It is very apparent with all the bugs that are showing up that should have been caught pre-release. Because from what the RoadShow Vendors told me is that the whole marketing idea was planned while they were on the road. They put together the whole plan after the roadshows had started.
    Actually, all the people that I have seen complaining like crazy about VC are complaining about the lack of a Treo 650. When the first roadshow took place in NYC (the one that I attended), there was no discussion of the Treo 650 by VC or P1 because it had not been released yet. Of course, everyone in the audience wanted to talk about it, but that was NOT the purpose of the event. It was an effort to get people to talk to P1 and third-party vendors about mobile data.

At that point, the Treo 600 was on VC's website and I can't say that I have seen a complaint about VC not getting a Treo 600 to people. Then again, I haven't looked, either. So I have to wonder what all the complaining and apparent righteous indignation is coming from? No one promised immediate availability and at least according to the video that someone provided here on TC of the last roadshow event, P1 was specifically stating that VC was not a store for these devices and that those looking for immediate availability should be looking to the carriers once the device was released.

I understand the excitement for the device. I just don't understand the continual complaining.
    By the Chicago roadshow, however, they were talking fully about the 650. The whole song and dance was about the 650, and not the 600.

P1 employees were using the GSM 650's and while they couldn't officially tell us who they were using as a carrier, they had no problems showing us the phone screen.

c
    This is not VC's fault! P1 is not shipping because the phone is not ready. Period. I agree that it was premature to release this phone, giving all the problems. I also agree that it was market and investor pressure to get a phone out for the Christmas season. Without this pressure, we probably would have seen the 650 around February or March of 2006, ooops, I mean 2005....
    Quote Originally Posted by IFITHASTOBEPALM
    How many of the attendees would have actually gone without the carrot of a 650 with a huge discount. I should have said, Palm ripped off Vienna and gave them a bad name, now Jeff is catching all the dissension. Vienna should have gotten some guarantees from Palm. I personally would not have been able to seal the idea of the 650 to Sr Management with out the allure of a discounted unit and being able to evaluate it in a timely manner. Did we not all believe that we would get the unit before the regular channels?????
    I attended the Chicago Show at the Beginning of November , And Yes It did cost to attend. It cost 5 Hours round trip driving , around $20 for parking and took Me away from the office for most of the day. Yet I would have been happy to Pay FULL Price for the 650 GSM if I could have gotten it in a Timely Manner , Many of us are in positions where we Need to Make a Decision Prior to the Start of the New fiscal Year for one reason or an other. And yes I understand that if it was that Important I Could have gone to The sprint store and Bought one for Evaluation... BUT Sprint Service in our area Sucks so That is not an Option..
    Umm, which part of 2-3 weeks that they told you it would take did you not understand? And as someone else pointed out, if you're considering 35 units, the extra $250 for one test unit is irrelevent. Furthermore, maybe the PPC is better for your business.
    Quote Originally Posted by Barney
    I attended the Chicago Show at the Beginning of November , And Yes It did cost to attend. It cost 5 Hours round trip driving , around $20 for parking and took Me away from the office for most of the day. Yet I would have been happy to Pay FULL Price for the 650 GSM if I could have gotten it in a Timely Manner , Many of us are in positions where we Need to Make a Decision Prior to the Start of the New fiscal Year for one reason or an other. And yes I understand that if it was that Important I Could have gone to The sprint store and Bought one for Evaluation... BUT Sprint Service in our area Sucks so That is not an Option..
    Hey, not to jump on you...but if you had to make a decision before the end of December why waste the time on the Treo? It has been pretty clear for quite awhile that the GSM versions weren't going to be available until after the new year....at least that was my impression.
    Did you try calling Palm corporate sales or a good reseller. Sometimes the reseller can pull some strings and get an eval unit for a large customer.
    Where did it say anything at all that would have made you even consider that a possibility? I considered it to just be a discount for attending. If it was so urgent you could have bought one from Sprint, snd tried it for 14 days.
    Did we not all believe that we would get the unit before the regular channels?????
    Quote Originally Posted by mausalot
    Umm, which part of 2-3 weeks that they told you it would take did you not understand?
    Hmmmm, I didn't hear anything about 2-3 weeks until weeks after my order was made. And it has now been 3 weeks and still nothing.

The confusion lies in the fact that the roadshow was for P1's "best" customers, that is their wording not mine. So now you have your "best" customers gunned up over a new device and end up leaving them waiting while other retail channels ship. NEVER giving any indication that other channels would get in months before. Why were they not upfront? Most of us would have been happy to wait as long as we could see it coming.

P1 was never clear on how this was going to work. Things like demo orders shipping after sales orders have only been discovered as of late. A P1 rep in Boston told me that my device would ship "immediately"! Come on!

This is just another chapter in the disasterous story of the t650.

-rob
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    The PalmOne Road Show was so long ago, I forgot when it actually was. Palm did not think this through very well and certainly alienated all of us who took time out of our schedules to attend the show.

My company was considering equipping our sales force of 35 with Treo's but the delay cost Palm and the "Pocket PC Club" here won by default. I had to send two emails to Vienna to cancel before I actually received a response.

If I were Vienna, I would really be hacked, because Palm basically has screwed them and every single one of us, for the bigger channel. (SPRINT? ) What a suprise.....

On a happier note, your Sprint store will have plenty of 650's for the Holiday Season.................................
    How could this be called a rip-off? When someone is late in stocking something, they are ripping you off?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast