1.    #1  
    Just wondering if there is any possibility of screen burn-in on the Treo 650. I'm worried if I watch a movie using the Pics&Video app, the static control panel may "burn in" an image. Any thoughts?
    Not unless you leave the movie looping for hours and hours and hours. How about days?
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    I don't believe "burn-in" is possible with LCD. It occurs in CRT displays, an analog technology used in front and rear projection tv's. The development of DLP, LCD and LCOS digital displays has eliminated burn-in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ree Nigne
    The development of DLP, LCD and LCOS digital displays has eliminated burn-in.
    Not necessarily, leave a LCD on for over 24 hours with the same image, and you will get burn in (not a scientific statement in the least)

TheHandlessKing
    Latest moBlog shot:
    Quote Originally Posted by Ree Nigne
    I don't believe "burn-in" is possible with LCD. It occurs in CRT displays, an analog technology used in front and rear projection tv's. The development of DLP, LCD and LCOS digital displays has eliminated burn-in.
    BUZZ! Sorry, but LCD can still suffer from burn-in. It just takes A LOT longer
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Okay, I've learned something today. It is technically possible to have burn-in on an LCD display (technically called "persistence" with LCD), despite what Sharp says on their website and the flat-out "LCD is not subject to burn-in" statements all over the place, like here:

http://www.audioholics.com/techtips/...s_Plasma3.html
    http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/p...ma-vs-lcd.html

Apparently it can happen with prolonged useage, particularly where high heat lamps are present such as in front projectors or larger screens. It also appears to be reversible. Here is the best discussion of the issue I found while trying to take my foot out of my mouth:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0&pagenumber=1
    I think you'd be more likely to burn in something like the phone application or the battery icon in the upper right or the blue line just under that icon that stretches the width of the screen. My point is that these things are quite often running and I haven't seen any burn-in, so you are probably very safe.
    I think by the time you get a screen burn-in on the 650, there will already been a Treo 2000. Nothing lasts forever, but for the expected shelf life, I think it's more than enough.

Unless burn-in can occur in less than 2 years of typical use?
    Quote Originally Posted by oggle
    I think by the time you get a screen burn-in on the 650, there will already been a Treo 2000. Nothing lasts forever, but for the expected shelf life, I think it's more than enough.

Unless burn-in can occur in less than 2 years of typical use?
    Who ever gets two years between model/manufacturer changes?
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    Me. I'm using a Motorolla StarTac circa 1998.
    Screen burn-in could happen, but you have a 1 year warranty, and insurance right? It's much more likely you'll drop the thing and shatter the screen. Don't worry about it. Life is better if you just relax a bit!
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss

Ha!!

I'm not even getting a year now!!
    Nanotechnology Nerd
    i300-->i330-->i500-->6700(1 wk!)-->Sprintt650-->gsm650-->HTC Universal (1 mo.)-->gsm650-->Cing8525(3wks!)-->gsm650
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowboxer
    Ha!!

I'm not even getting a year now!!
    same ehre i seem to be always buying new phones and gadgets
    Nokia 3210 > Nokia 3310 >Palm Vx > Palm M105 >Treo 180g and Nokia 8850 > Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Sony TH55 > Tapwave Zodiac 2 > Treo 650 GSM > Imate KJam > Treo 750v

Formerly Known As PRANKSTAR