1.    #1  
    Not necessarily hardware related - but I figured this would get the most interest from this forum as a lot of us are trying to sell our 600s. I've had two strange experiences in the last week on eBay. I'm a long time user, occasional buyer or seller, and overall no issues.

I listed my 600 last week, got 1 bid for exactly the reserve price ($275) from an eBay user with no feedback (I know bad idea but what can you do). Auction ended, nothing. No contact, I sent an email to the person's very legitimate-sounding aol address, it came back as invalid. I waited a couple of days, then relisted it. Last night, someone took the buy it now option, great this time it sold for $299. I look at the buyer, again no feedback, this time they're located in Kuwait (does a Sprint 600 even work there?). This just happened overnight, so I'm not giving up, but it looks very suspicious. My question is, what is the point of this if it is some kind of a scam - has anyone heard of this before?
    Perhaps someone trying to sell their own? Maybe to drive the "standard" price up for the other similar auctions. Who knows...
    Make him use Paypal or have him wire the funds.
    Global Posts
    201 Global Posts
    either way - you're in a good position because you don't have to ship until you receive funds. in this case you would probably want to not only get the funds (say via paypal), but then move it to another account in case the payment turns out to be suspect.
    1st SFG (A)

if at first you don't succeed - RELOAD!
    Moved to 600 forum. You aren't selling a 650.
    To me, it's only a scam if you lost your $$. Ebay is great for sellers because you keep the product until the $$ is received and cleared. As long as you get paid, who cares.

Now, if you were buying something, sent your $$ and didn't get anything back. Then you would have a problem.
    Make It Happen!!
    If you don't, who will?
    Quote Originally Posted by treosixoo
    To me, it's only a scam if you lost your $$. Ebay is great for sellers because you keep the product until the $$ is received and cleared. As long as you get paid, who cares.

Now, if you were buying something, sent your $$ and didn't get anything back. Then you would have a problem.
    It still costs $$ to list with ebay though... You're losing money everytime you re-list the item.

With the buy-it-now, require an immediate payment. That'll prevent folks from buying it without "purchasing it".
    I understand your point Demo. One thing you can do (it's what I do) is let it be known that you will only sell to people with a positive history (no 1st timers).
    Make It Happen!!
    If you don't, who will?
    Whatever you do, do not use an escrow service. There are sham ones out there that will tell you they have your money and to ship the product. Of course, they then disappear and you lose your device and get no money. Google "PPP Powerbook" for a hilarious story on this.
    I had the same thing happen to me -- I'm trying to sell my Treo, and someone elsewhere won the auction and haven't heard from them since.

You can file a non-payment so you can get your money back, which I'm about to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by demoflauchy
    It still costs $$ to list with ebay though... You're losing money everytime you re-list the item.
    You can file an unpaid buyer dispute with eBay to get your listing fees refunded. I've done this in the past with no problems.

If the buyer doesn't respond within 7 days of you filing the dispute, the following option is available:
    "I no longer wish to communicate with or wait for the buyer. With this option, the buyer receives an Unpaid Item strike, the seller receives a Final Value Fee credit, and the item is eligible for a relist credit."

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/...m-process.html
    Treo 680 GSM since July 2007
    Treo 600 GSM from November 2003 through July 2007
    AT&T (formerly Cingular, formerly PacBell PCS) since September 1998
    Thanks Catbert00 for the info. Always good to know these things.
    Make It Happen!!
    If you don't, who will?
    Quote Originally Posted by treosixoo
    I understand your point Demo. One thing you can do (it's what I do) is let it be known that you will only sell to people with a positive history (no 1st timers).
    This is like the "no experience" situation when job hunting - how is someone supposed to obtain a "positive history" without being a "First Timer"??
  14.    #14  
    Thanks for the input; I will use the immediate payment option for buy it now next time and I'm also going to restrict first time buyers. Ttrundle - on the first time buyer dilemma, I would consider selling to someone if they contacted me in advance and it felt legit, given the glut of 600s on the market right now you can't afford to be to picky. This is so different from when I sold my Treo 300 a year ago, there are clearly a lot of 600 users out there who are trying to recoup some of there cost of the 650.

Incidentally the only other time I had an issue with eBay was when I sold my 300 a year ago, I had a buy it now immediately, shipped it to the guy, no problem. A couple of days later he contacts me to say it won't connect to the web. We went back and forth in email several times, he described in detail all of the things he tried, conversations with both Handspring and Sprint tech support, etc. so finally I agreed to refund it and take it back. Sure enough it turned out to be fine when I had it checked out and I resold it. I figure the guy must have found out about the 600 after he bought my 300 and decided he wanted out.
    Quote Originally Posted by ttrundle
    This is like the "no experience" situation when job hunting - how is someone supposed to obtain a "positive history" without being a "First Timer"??
    There are plenty of people that do this. After you've been burnt, you'll think about doing this also.

There are alot of people that will sell to anyone, that's how you build your rating (trust) up.
    Make It Happen!!
    If you don't, who will?
    My guess is when this happens it's just a spammer trying to get a new email address.
    The exact thing happened to me twice when I put my SideKick up on eBay a few months ago. The user was an AOL member (allegedly) and had no feedback. Then eBay canned the user. It happened again the second time I listed the SideKick. I contacted eBay, they investigated and that user got thrown off eBay. Third time was a charm and I sold the SideKick, however 2 of the bids that almost won were again from users with no feedback who like the others had become members either the day of their bid or shortly before. Again, I contacted eBay and they did their thing.

They do not give you information about the investigations. Don't know if this is helpful but you should definitely contact eBay. Oh, and the original winner of the first auction sent me an email in response to my request for their address to calculate payment saying "F*&$ You". That was the entire response to the email.

Regards,
    Marlene
    I've been having the same problem. I'm trying to sell a 6600 on ebay. I've listed it 4 times. 3 times the auction used buy it now and wouldn't pay by paypal and wanted it shipped outside the country. It's listed for sale now, and I've already had to cancel bids from the scammers and I've had atleast 6 emails from people wanting to scam me. I've sold many things on ebay over the past few years, but lately it has just been a pain.
    Paypal payment means almost nothing! There is a scam that goes like this: someone buys your phone, they paypal you the money, you send the item and they claim they never got it and complain to paypal who immediately sends them the money from your paypal account. You are out the phone and the money.
    Don't sell out of the country...it's too hard to get insurance and delivery confirmation.