1.    #1  
    I've heard a lot of cool stories about tiny hard drives that are no bigger than a postage stamp.

Could someone tell me when we can hope to see the incorporation of these devices into Treo-like devices ?

Personally, I think hands-down the one shortcoming of the Treo is the lack of storage space. Do we *need* to have an ipod separate from our all-in-one handheld ????
    Lack of storage space? 1Gig SD cards are 79 bucks and now a 2 Gig is out for 179. Thats a lot of storage. I personally think a tiny hard drive would be a power drain and another thing to break.
    Nanotechnology Nerd
    i300-->i330-->i500-->6700(1 wk!)-->Sprintt650-->gsm650-->HTC Universal (1 mo.)-->gsm650-->Cing8525(3wks!)-->gsm650
  3.    #3  
    Have you ever tried to copy an mp3 to one of those cards..

SLLLLLOOOOOOOWWWWWWW ---- took me like 2 minutes to copy a single mp3 track..

A hard drive would be much faster I think !!!

Plus, you would have like 10 Gb instead of 1Gb and if it was built in to the machine, you'd be able to run everything/save everything to it.. instead of just some things..

Plus, in my opinion, the cards are flakier than drives. I've had them dislodge occasionally, had a card go bad on me..
    there are plenty of happy ipod users out there who aren't complaining about their drives going bad..
    Quote Originally Posted by djbeta
    Have you ever tried to copy an mp3 to one of those cards..

Plus, you would have like 10 Gb instead of 1Gb and if it was built in to the machine, you'd be able to run everything/save everything to it.. instead of just some things..

Plus, in my opinion, the cards are flakier than drives. I've had them dislodge occasionally, had a card go bad on me..
    there are plenty of happy ipod users out there who aren't complaining about their drives going bad..

Wow, were you using a card-reader? I use a USB2 SD card reader hooked directly to my computer, put about 350 megs of mp3 music onto Lexar 1 Gig ( NOT the 32x version, the slower one) in about 15-20 minutes.
    Nanotechnology Nerd
    i300-->i330-->i500-->6700(1 wk!)-->Sprintt650-->gsm650-->HTC Universal (1 mo.)-->gsm650-->Cing8525(3wks!)-->gsm650
  5.    #5  
    well, I was using USB1 to a T3 cradle, but... still

15-20 minutes ? I still think that is painfully slow.

I can put 350 megs of music onto an iPod in about 30 seconds !!!
    we're talking 30-40x faster.
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    djbeta,

If you use hotsync to transfer your mp3 to the SD card, you get lots and lots and lots and lots (you get the point) of overhead due to error checking (crc checksum) done by the hotsync process. You can get much faster speeds using a non hotsync alternateve such as card export which mounts your sd card in the treo like a card reader. It is not as fast as a normal card reader but it is much much faster than the hotsync
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    the treo 700 will have a hard drive or die.

15-20 minutes ? I still think that is painfully slow.

That has probably more to do with the firewire connection being extremely fast. There are trade offs with hard drives though. For one they aren't nearly as durable as flash drives (no moving parts and all). For another it takes more power to access them moving parts and all. Thus such a switch would reduce battery time. This isn't as noticable on the iPod because mp3 doesn't take a ton of battery to produce. However, on a cell phone with color touchscreens, constant email fetching and the like, it's going to be an issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by wahili
    That's an unusual statement. What if it comes out in three months with 128MB-256MB of internal memory with built-in wifi and EV-DO (for CDMA people)? I'm making up specs, but I think it would live at the right price point. There are lots to improve and upgrade before getting to a hard drive.
    If flash memory continues to plummet in price while soaring in capacity, there is no reason for a hard drive. Why have a 1.5 gig HD (which samsung just put in a phone) instead of a similarly sized flash? Just one more thing to break.
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    If flash memory continues to plummet in price while soaring in capacity, there is no reason for a hard drive. Why have a 1.5 gig HD (which samsung just put in a phone) instead of a similarly sized flash? Just one more thing to break.
    I think people are looking for drives that are 5 and 10GB big which is something that flash can't do as cheaply (and without a lot of switching) yet.
    I think you just answered your own question on why it's faster copying them to an iPod than a T3. A USB 1.0 connection is 1.5 Mbps, a USB 1.1 is at 11 Mbps (I don't know which a T3 uses), but a Firewire or USB 2.0 connection is 400/480 Mbps. Of course it will be faster transferring them to an iPod. If speed is your concern, you can pick up a USB 2.0 card reader at Amazon for around $25.

iPod's have notoriously bad battery lives so I'd rather stick with a 1GB or 2GB SD card if it meant not having to recharge my phone every 6 hours. Plus, it's one less thing to break, I'd rather replace a defective SD card than have to swap out my Treo 700 because the HD died...and most likely lose everything that's on it. If your SD card dies now, you don't lose everything stored in RAM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jmill72x
    I think you just answered your own question on why it's faster copying them to an iPod than a T3. A USB 1.0 connection is 1.5 Mbps, a USB 1.1 is at 11 Mbps (I don't know which a T3 uses), but a Firewire or USB 2.0 connection is 400/480 Mbps. Of course it will be faster transferring them to an iPod. If speed is your concern, you can pick up a USB 2.0 card reader at Amazon for around $25.
    It's still not going to be as fast as the iPod as it's geared (at least I think) to store data on the hard drive at firewire speeds. From what I've heard, flash can't be updated as fast as that. The bottleneck is going to be the USB 1.1 connection, but once you upgrade to USB2.0 or firewire you are going to run into the bottleneck of storing the data on the media.
    ???
    Takes me about 20 seconds with The Missing Sync

The drive itself may be fast but how do you get the information to it fast?There are bottlenecks all over in the design of the phone, starting with their USB connector.

On a side note, why didn't PalmOne use USB2 since they were upgrading?

I haven't seen any 10GB postage stamp-size drives.

Plus, in my opinion, the cards are flakier than drives.
    Cards are extrememly more durably than drives. Have you heard those reports about cameras found after an explosion? They were able to just pop in the memory cards and retrieve the photos. That is not very flakey in my mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by wahili
    If the Treo 700 has a hard drive, it WILL die.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland
    I think people are looking for drives that are 5 and 10GB big which is something that flash can't do as cheaply (and without a lot of switching) yet.
    Maybe they should get an iPod then... or a desktop machine. Once you get up to storage capacities in that number, you are talking about a different way of using the memory.

Those higher numbers indictate and dictate a central depository use like on a desktop computer. The phone is mobile; it keeps returning (along with you I hope ) to its home base.
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts

Yeah...but I'd like to see you place a phone call on your i-pod!

True the I-pod is good at handling music but it sucks as a phone!!!

-no dial pad
    -no ear peice
    -no dial from contacts
    -no last number redial
    -voice quality sucks (I can't hear them and they can't hear me)

Oh yeah..i forgot the ipod is not a phone or a PDA.

So stop compairing the Treo 650 to a i-Pod!!!!!!!!
    "When Palm announced today that its new smartphone would run an operating system from Microsoft, it was the equivalent of Coca-Cola agreeing to fill its bottles with Pepsi." ~David M. Ewalt, Forbes Magazine
    ----------------------------------------------------
    My Phone history.....
    iPod's have notoriously bad battery lives so I'd rather stick with a 1GB or 2GB SD card if it meant not having to recharge my phone every 6 hours.
    But an iPod photo will go for 15 hours, my iPod mini goes for 12 hours. Plus, you can get third party batteries installed that double those times.

Plus, it's one less thing to break, I'd rather replace a defective SD card than have to swap out my Treo 700 because the HD died...and most likely lose everything that's on it. If your SD card dies now, you don't lose everything stored in RAM.
    Agreed.
    Quote Originally Posted by archie
    Maybe they should get an iPod then... or a desktop machine. Once you get up to storage capacities in that number, you are talking about a different way of using the memory.

Those higher numbers indictate and dictate a central depository use like on a desktop computer. The phone is mobile; it keeps returning (along with you I hope ) to its home base.
    I can see lots of reason to have 10GB of storage with me while I'm mobile. Should I get an iPod? It doesn't play video so that's not going to take advantage of some of that 10GB. Should I get a Lyra video player? Perhaps, but it can't store applications on it (don't know if it works well with Excel or Word docs for instance)? Should I get a desktop machine? It's not portable, so that's not going to work.

I think people are starting to realize that their Treo could very well replace their laptop in some circumstances. If did have that kind of storage and add a video out, you could practically dock it to a monitor, keyboard, and a BT mouse and all of a sudden you do have a laptop that can be brought from home to work easily with all your applications and data on it. You basically have an OQO for a fraction of the cost with more mobility, though running the PalmOS.

Is that vision here yet? In a few products it is, but none of them have a phone integrated into them as of yet. As long as we are talking about a Treo 700 or later edition though it's probably okay to dream a little bit.