Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I really wish people would stop complaining about the Treo 650. If they don't like it, return it and get something else. I have the 650 after upgrading from the 600 and with all the complaints going on, I elected to try another phone. I purchased the PPC-6601 and guess which phone I switched back to. If you guessed the 650, you're right. The 650 is still the best PDA phone on the market by far.

After using the PPC-6601 for about a week, I really missed using my Treo 650. Sure there were a few things I liked about the PPC-6601 such as the screen size and a few of the games but let me tell you, as far as productivity is concerned, the Treo 650 blows it away. By the way, I was a long time Pocket PC user before switching to the Treo 600 so I kknow a lot about the Pocket PC market as well. I was shocked to find how many apps that I love on the Treo that were missing for the PPC-6601. I found myself in the airport needing to look up a contact on my PPC and I actually had to stop for a minute to decide which was the quickest way to do that. And then it hit me, there was no quick way or one handed way to do it. With the Treo, you can use Initiate, TakePhone, or several other apps to do it.

There are so many other things that I really like the Treo 650 over the PPC-6601 and probably other phones as well.
    I am actually a dual user, Palm and PocketPC. I have yet to find a device made by anyone that was perfect for me, so I have a Treo 650 and an iPaq 4705.

But I guess it's a god-given right for some people to complain loudly to anyone who will listen
    Quote Originally Posted by Katahdin
    I really wish people would stop complaining about the Treo 650. If they don't like it, return it and get something else. I have the 650 after upgrading from the 600 and with all the complaints going on, I elected to try another phone. I purchased the PPC-6601 and guess which phone I switched back to. If you guessed the 650, you're right. The 650 is still the best PDA phone on the market by far.

After using the PPC-6601 for about a week, I really missed using my Treo 650. Sure there were a few things I liked about the PPC-6601 such as the screen size and a few of the games but let me tell you, as far as productivity is concerned, the Treo 650 blows it away. By the way, I was a long time Pocket PC user before switching to the Treo 600 so I kknow a lot about the Pocket PC market as well. I was shocked to find how many apps that I love on the Treo that were missing for the PPC-6601. I found myself in the airport needing to look up a contact on my PPC and I actually had to stop for a minute to decide which was the quickest way to do that. And then it hit me, there was no quick way or one handed way to do it. With the Treo, you can use Initiate, TakePhone, or several other apps to do it.

There are so many other things that I really like the Treo 650 over the PPC-6601 and probably other phones as well.
    You are absolutely correct, amazing the gripes over this thing. After having the 600 and now the 650, the problems come to down to these two. The dialing delay (which is a nuisance but nothing I would consider returning the phone over) and the RAM issue. I have actually found this one to be a problem but sounds like it can be overcome by using an SD card and Zlauncher. Thus far, I have refused to give up what I consider as control over my apps to an SD card. I did run into problems when downloading large picture attachments in Versamail because the phone lacked the space to accomodate. Need a solution for that. This phone is still top of the line.

I too have tried a Pocket PC phone, the Toshiba 2032, an absolute piece of S. This now makes the 4th PDA Phone and I have loved them all. And having a PDA and Phone separate is a step backward to me.

Eric
    don't forget the p key defect. I had an unusable 650 due to this issue. several folks here have reported the same issue. my second one had a mp3/vid audio playback failure. I love this new device but talk about a pain in the ****. There has been some senseless complaining but I have seen much more problemsolving. It' nice to see this great forum return to what it should be...a place to meet to share problems solutions and experience with these cool toys/tools.

By the way did anyone notice the irony of starting a thread complaining of too much complaining?

my 2 cents.
    Except for wishing the memory problem wasn't and once I got an updated version of Ultrasoft Money, I have had zero problems. No bad p key, no problems playing mp3 and so far, no one has complained about not being able to understand me (and I ask everyone now because people here got me paranoid).

As far as having two devices, the 650 is a solid phone/pda combo that allows me to take only one device when I have to as it has all my financial data and eWallet data, calendar, contacts and etc. You know, the important stuff. But there are times though when my PPC is needed too. My 4705 has built in WiFi for quick fast connections at home and at work, I have a stereo bluetooth headset from HP for listening to audio books and other files and there are many PPC apps that are just plain superior to their Palm counterparts. But PPC-based phones are just not practical phones due to their size. So, as I said, no one has come up with the perfect combination of size, capability and performance.

For me, the perfect device would be: A VGA PocketPC phone with 128MB of memory or a hi-rez Palm phone with 64MB of memory. The casing would be about the size of the Treo's with that nicely integrated keyboard and would have a full duplex speakerphone. It would have both bluetooth and WiFi. The bluetooth would be able to transmit regular sound as well as phone sound. The voice dialing would work over bluetooth.

It would either be GSM with edge or CDMA with EVDO. A removable battery and no antenna sticking out and and SDIO slot too.

All these technologies exsist in various devices, but not in one single device. Maybe in a year or two, but not right now unfortunately.
    I really wish people would stop complaining about the Treo 650. If they don't like it, return it and get something else.
    Why shouldn't people complain about a phone that doesn't do everything it's supposed to do? I would think a Treo 650 owner would be happy to have this phone's issues resolved.
  7. cec
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DaleReeck
    I am actually a dual user, Palm and PocketPC. I have yet to find a device made by anyone that was perfect for me, so I have a Treo 650 and an iPaq 4705.

But I guess it's a god-given right for some people to complain loudly to anyone who will listen
    I am headed in the same direction. I hope Santa brings me the 4705 I asked for and I am upgrading to a 650 when Cingular gets it. I figure I can use the 650 when out and about and 4705 for WiFi around the house.

Do you find you are using one device much over the other? Have you set up a bluetooth connection between the two devices?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe
    Why shouldn't people complain about a phone that doesn't do everything it's supposed to do? I would think a Treo 650 owner would be happy to have this phone's issues resolved.
    Complaining is fine. Many people here have had a problem, try to get a solution or, if not, say their peace about why they are returning the phone or whatever and they are done. But a very few have decided that Palm has personally insulted them somehow and have started a crusade to let the world know how evil P1 is and how we are all dupes or stooges for P1 for being happy with the device despite it's flaws.

Throw in some of the well-meaning persons who add to multiple threads about the same problem topic and you get an impression of a very whiney place here at TC. But I suspect that the overall complaining isn't as bad as it seems.
    Quote Originally Posted by cec
    I am headed in the same direction. I hope Santa brings me the 4705 I asked for and I am upgrading to a 650 when Cingular gets it. I figure I can use the 650 when out and about and 4705 for WiFi around the house.

Do you find you are using one device much over the other? Have you set up a bluetooth connection between the two devices?
    About the same for me - 650 outside and 4705 inside though during winter when I have the heavy coat with multiple pockets on, I have been known to take both

I use them about equally, maybe the 4705 a bit more because of the WiFi and larger (and gorgeous VGA) screen area. Also, my 4705 has, in addition to a 1GB SD card, a 4GB CF card. So I have a lot of data, reference material etc stored on my 4705. I would say 60/40 in favor of the 4705.

It also depends on the situation. For instance, I listen to audio books over bluetooth when I'm working out, so the 4700 gets that job. Also, when I need to use some apps that are only available on one platform or the other, I switch as needed.

I haven't bluetooth'ed the two devices together because I haven't had the need to yet. I'll probably do it eventually once I get around to it.
    Global Posts
    475 Global Posts
    I didn't notice any rules about not being able to posts complaints about the Treo. I also didn't read any rules that you have to read every thread.

Sometimes people WANT to like their treo but something bothers them so much they have to voice it. Sometimes people are frustrated with something it does or doesnt do.

Sure, some thread go over the top. Nobody is forcing you to keep reading them.

Why not start a thread on what you LIKE about the treo instead of another complaint thread?
    Quote Originally Posted by kirkeric
    You are absolutely correct, amazing the gripes over this thing. After having the 600 and now the 650, the problems come to down to these two. The dialing delay (which is a nuisance but nothing I would consider returning the phone over) and the RAM issue. I have actually found this one to be a problem but sounds like it can be overcome by using an SD card and Zlauncher. Thus far, I have refused to give up what I consider as control over my apps to an SD card. I did run into problems when downloading large picture attachments in Versamail because the phone lacked the space to accomodate. Need a solution for that. This phone is still top of the line.

I too have tried a Pocket PC phone, the Toshiba 2032, an absolute piece of S. This now makes the 4th PDA Phone and I have loved them all. And having a PDA and Phone separate is a step backward to me.

Eric
    I read in the thread versamail vs snappermail that versamail allows you to save attachments to the sd card. Maybe you can find that feature. Snappermail however allows u to save the entire msg to the card. Anyway I have neither.
    (I don't even have an email client or a 650)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe
    I think the point is that it does one hell of a lot for a phone and the problems found are minimal to be frank. What does it NOT do that it is supposed to do? It is really a matter of how well it does things - that seems to be the level of complaints here. It does it, just not everyone is satisfied on how well it does it. Purely a matter of perspective.

Eric
    Quote Originally Posted by treo600kings
    I read in the thread versamail vs snappermail that versamail allows you to save attachments to the sd card. Maybe you can find that feature. Snappermail however allows u to save the entire msg to the card. Anyway I have neither.
    (I don't even have an email client or a 650)

You CAN save the pictures to the SD card. That part is good but unless you can actually have your mailbox ON the card, the downloading part is the problem. You have to first download the images before you can than select them to save to the card. So, if you have anything less than about 2-3MB estimated AFTER your pics are downloaded, you will have problems. I was downloading some pictures and ran out of space, had like 485KB left. I deleted some files, transfer some stuff temp to the SD card and versamail was screwed. I could not redownload the files and I could not delete the files in the deleted folder. I had to delete the account, go into file manager and find the box, delete it, rebuild the acct and all is well.

Eric
    [QUOTE=Katahdin]I really wish people would stop complaining about the Treo 650. If they don't like it, return it and get something else. I have the 650 after upgrading from the 600 and with all the complaints going on, I elected to try another phone. I purchased the PPC-6601 and guess which phone I switched back to. If you guessed the 650, you're right. The 650 is still the best PDA phone on the market by far.
    [QUOTE]

I am sorry I disagree with your opinion in this thread,cause "complaing"(Discussion ) can help people to make things more clear in the proccess of complaining(Discussion ) and to find out the truth.

If there is no complainment in this forum ,it will be very awesome!

Why don't you try to stop reading posts from people who complain about the Treo 650?
    I'm not complaining but I sure am baffled about the slap-dash quality control @ P1. I am now on my 4th 650 in less than 2-weeks. #1 had a sticking keypad; #2 had a corrupt video app; #3 was totally hosed (blinking LCD, bad radio). I have heard that from time-to-time, there are bad 'blocks' of ESNs for whatever reason...I'm inclined to agree!!! Anyway, I spent over an hour at the Sprint store yesterday doing my own quality control on #4 before I 'signed-off' on it and let the store -- looks like I finally have one that works, and that I can now begin to experience what a working 650 can really do.
    Quote Originally Posted by fgkay
    I'm not complaining but I sure am baffled about the slap-dash quality control @ P1. I am now on my 4th 650 in less than 2-weeks. #1 had a sticking keypad; #2 had a corrupt video app; #3 was totally hosed (blinking LCD, bad radio). I have heard that from time-to-time, there are bad 'blocks' of ESNs for whatever reason...I'm inclined to agree!!! Anyway, I spent over an hour at the Sprint store yesterday doing my own quality control on #4 before I 'signed-off' on it and let the store -- looks like I finally have one that works, and that I can now begin to experience what a working 650 can really do.
    Stop complaining and get on to that 5th phone.

Many of those who have complained are current 600 or 650 users and have every right to. The memory issue is a major flaw for which change is suppose to be coming and is directly related to those who voiced their disatisfaction. Consider yourself lucky that there are descenting voices. It's what provides direction and justification for improvements.

I grant you there are those who complain without meaning but so what. If your happy with the 650, that's all that should really matter.
    Last edited by JTREOB; 12/08/2004 at 09:11 AM.
    Actually, I would take the opposite approach: complain away. When the 600 came out, people complained about lack of bluetooth, screen resolution, and various useability issues. To a large extent, Palm has addressed many of those issues with the 650. Palm does clearly pay attention to these forums, and our complaints are one way to improve the product.

Do you think Palm would have felt obligated to improve the screen if all the posts about the 650 had said, "Yeah, I think the screen is perfectly okay?" Do you think Palm would be working on a ROM update to address memory allocation if we hadn't screamed so loud?

Complaining is our civic duty. It helps make the product better.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  19. cec
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DaleReeck
    About the same for me - 650 outside and 4705 inside ...
    Thanks for the reply.
    There's whining, and then there's making suggestions.

Unfortunately we see more of the former than the latter.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast