1.    #1  
    Does anyone know what this means? I have a Motorola HS810--should it allow answering of an incoming call by opening my boom. It warns of increased power drain, even while "device is turned off". Does that mean even when the screen is off, BT is off, or phone is off? Does anyone use this? Any significant increase in battery drain with this function? On a side note, does anyone just leave their Bluetooth "on" and what effect does this seem to have on battery drain?
    Quote Originally Posted by acousticbiker
    On a side note, does anyone just leave their Bluetooth "on" and what effect does this seem to have on battery drain?
    That is a superb question. If having bluetooth on causes the battery to run down in short order, then what point is there in having bluetooth.

Also, does this leave us susceptible to bluesnarfing?

Thanks
    Cleve
    I leave bluetooth set to on all the time. I'm sure it has some effect but not much. Allow wakeup would mean the bluetooth is polling even when asleep and a bluetooth command from another device could wakeup the Treo. For example pressing the button on a headset should cause the Treo to come on in this case. I haven't directly tested this, but that is what should happen. There will be additional battery drain but I can't say how much.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis
    I leave bluetooth set to on all the time. I'm sure it has some effect but not much. Allow wakeup would mean the bluetooth is polling even when asleep and a bluetooth command from another device could wakeup the Treo. For example pressing the button on a headset should cause the Treo to come on in this case. I haven't directly tested this, but that is what should happen. There will be additional battery drain but I can't say how much.
    I use BtTogglePro which has a feature "What apps need" that turns BT on/off if a program "needs" it. It works on calls with my HS850, sort of... I leave BT off, then I make a call and the headset is detected and "connects" but I have to push side button on the earpiece to start hearing the call in the HS850. However, if you left BT off in system prefs and did the same thing, the headset simply wouldn't work. So, BtTogglePro allows some modifications to save battery life. Though, I would image if you use the headset frequently, the turning on and off, on and off of BT would be a pretty heavy battery drain. I'm not sure how the PalmOS handles this on battery drain, but a lot of devices use large amounts of power through simply turning on/off the device... sometime more than just leaving it on. FWIW.
    Quote Originally Posted by acousticbiker
    Does anyone know what this means? I have a Motorola HS810--should it allow answering of an incoming call by opening my boom. It warns of increased power drain, even while "device is turned off". Does that mean even when the screen is off, BT is off, or phone is off? Does anyone use this? Any significant increase in battery drain with this function? On a side note, does anyone just leave their Bluetooth "on" and what effect does this seem to have on battery drain?
    Did you click on the tips button on the buttom right of the Bluetooth setup screen? It has answers to some of these questions.
    Global Posts
    211 Global Posts
    If you read last months Wired mag you can see how easy it is for someone to snarf your BT no matter what if you leave it on. However you can turn your phone to not be discovered which will keep honest people honest. That way only the items you have paired with your phone can find your phone. At least that is my uderstanding.
    Grace & Peace,

utey
  7.    #7  
    talkin73, I'm given BtTogglePro a shot and have noticed a bug on the 650. When "What apps think" is enabled and the power is off: if I press the phone button to power and see the Phone app, only the keyboard lights up and the screen will not display the phone app until I hit the phone button a second time. Then, when I go to BtTogglePro prefs, "What apps think" is turned off, as is Bluetooth.
    Global Posts
    211 Global Posts
    After playing with the Freedom a little longer I can say sometimes the loudness depends on who you are talking too. I had several calls today that were pretty lound, and one where I actually turned the volume down, (using the side buttons on the phone not the freedom) so I would say the speaker is pretty good.

Occasionally I get some interference and a little static. I am not sure why, my guess is I am near either a wireless phone or wifi signal that is interfering. Today I was in a grocery store and depending on where I was in the store I got a little static.
    Grace & Peace,

utey