1.    #1  
    I went to my local Fry's here today in Las Vegas, NV. I noticed that they had a number of Treo 650's in stock. I talked to one of the employees at the cell phone section and asked if he had seen anything in their computers about the GSM version of the Treo 650. Well, he didn't see anything. We got into a little discussion about how well the Treo 650 has been selling and surprisingly, he said that about half of the Treo 650's that they have sold have been returned, mostly because people couldn't work with the little amount of memory it has. Another complaint they got from customers was that the sound quality was not very good and that the speakerphone is not duplex or something like that. Anyway, I stayed for a couple of minutes and watched as people asked the employees about the smartphones and PDA phones that they have in stock and surprisingly, the employees would not recommend the Treo 650 to the customers. They would either show the cusomters the Treo 600, Samsung i500 or the T-Mobile HP Pocket PC phone.
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    After using the 650 for two weeks I think I would give the same advice.
    eh

i was standing in a line a month or so ago, noticed the guy behind me had a sprint logo on his shirt. turned out he was a store mgr. of course i asked him his opinion of the treo. he said he wouldn't buy one - reliability issues - too many returns.

doesn't change my opinion though - i'm still going to buy one when i'm off of nextel
    Well I would have to say I wouldn't give that advice after using it for a week.

Gee, the sales droids were recommended the older stock that their management probably told them to move ASAP. Gosh, what a surprise!
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    I'm happy with mine. The only problems have been about four apps that needed upgrading. Love bluetooth to my Laptop. Love the hi definition screen. Memory is fine with PowerRun.
    Right on the mark Bcaslis....

Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis

Gee, the sales droids were recommended the older stock that their management probably told them to move ASAP. Gosh, what a surprise!
  7. hub
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    I have had a few glitches with mine, but since my last phone was a StarTac I'm really excited. Now if Act can get their act together and make Act for Palm work with the 650 everything will be great.
    No offence, but I would not trust anythings a Fry's, BestBuy or Circuit City sales man tells someone (sure there is the few that so know, but most don't).

I have seen them lie and be wrong on so many occasions and the worse part, is they will just go on and on when they have no idea about something and that is even worse then no info.

Bottom line IMHO, you know how you can tell when a salesmen is lying, their mouth is moving....
    Quote Originally Posted by NXTLwants2quit
    eh

i was standing in a line a month or so ago, noticed the guy behind me had a sprint logo on his shirt. turned out he was a store mgr. of course i asked him his opinion of the treo. he said he wouldn't buy one - reliability issues - too many returns.

doesn't change my opinion though - i'm still going to buy one when i'm off of nextel
    I had one Treo300 for a year, then one single 600 for antoher year, now I have a 650, bad luck I guess....

Some people like to talk that way, they think it makes them sound really smart or savy. I think it's the "well if they think that something is worng, they must really be awesome, only a guru would know that kinda of stuff"
    Who cares if they discourage the 650. It is the buyer responsibility to understand what he is buying. If you thought that a car salesman every word was good as gold then your an *****. Buyer beware. I have never given much creditiblity to anyone selling anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by BssinRVer
    Who cares if they discourage the 650. It is the buyer responsibility to understand what he is buying. If you thought that a car salesman every word was good as gold then your an *****. Buyer beware. I have never given much creditiblity to anyone selling anything.
    Reminds of the joke: What's the difference between a Best Buy* employee and a used card salesman?
    The car salesman knows when he's lying!

* substitute any electronics, computer, or phone store name here.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Well the "sales droid" really was not saying anything that has not already been discussed to death on this forum. I wonder if he is accurately reporting the general consumer response to the 650 so far. There had been some speculation here over whether "Joe Public" would be as annoyed with the Treo 650's shortcomings as our TreoCentral power users. Could this be part of the answer to that speculation?

I do have to agree after owning my 650 for awhile that the sound quality is so-so. I'm willing to live with that because I like the overall functionality. But I could see why a lot of consumers would not, especially if they aren't quite sold on convergence or the pda aspect and want a really good sounding phone.

Anyway you might have run into a salesperson who was just being honest--perhaps for the sake of being honest or maybe he had another agenda. Hard to say, but at least he did not say anything we haven't all heard before, repeatedly.
    I'm happy with mine, but I wouldn't recommend it to a newb either until after P1 fixes some of the issues. Personally, I think it's a power-user device because you have to know enough to put the workarounds in place.

When P1 gets the new OS out, hopefully it will fix the Blazer crashes, VersaMail issues, memory issues, and reaction-time issues (related to memory issues).
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis

Bingo.