1.    #1  
    I figure I'ld start this thread since it seem many users here may have automatically overlooked many of the audio options available on the Treo. Case in point is probably Aeroplayer that seems like the mp3 player for the Treo that everyone forgot about!

AeroPlayer
    http://www.aerodrome.us/aeroplayer/index.html

Others include:

Pocket Tunes:
    http://www.pocket-tunes.com/

Busker
    http://www.electricpocket.com/products/busker.html

Real:
    http://www.realnetworks.com/industri...s/player/palm/

Aeroplayer support MP3, OGG Vorbis etc. However, one of the most intriguing features is the equalizer which they claim is the most superior on palmos:

Competing Palm OS audio players don't have true equalizers; rather, they exploit a feature of MP3 compression that creates an equalizer-like effect. While this may seem like a good idea, in reality the results vary greatly depending on the type of music and the encoder that was used, and the resulting quality is generally rather poor. And, of course, it only works for MP3 audio.

As many of our users have commented, Aerodrome has always been committed first and foremost to providing the highest quality audio possible on your Palm-Powered handheld. We'll add features when they make sense, but never at the expense of audio quality.

Our signal processing mechanism uses high-quality digital audio filters, hand-coded in pure ARM assembly for maximum performance. We chose 5 bands as the optimum trade-off between CPU utilization and smoothness of our EQ filter curve (our EQ-induced ripple is an impressive 0.1dB). Our bass boost mode uses very little CPU while still providing greatly-improved bass response. And Aerodrome's approach works for any type of audio, including Ogg Vorbis.

We hope you like the results!
    I wonder if anyone can comment on the sound quality regarding this feature in comparison to Ptunes and Real? I am definitely not an audiophile, so I would appreciate if some one who is could try out Aeroplayer and compare it to the other audio players available on the Treo. I would be very curious to know which player actually has the best audio quality on the Treo...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    You forgot to mention Kinoma. The only reason I bring this up is...
    well, because it is the only one that has the ability to play AIFF files directly from CD and is also the player that happens to play the highest quality compression format (AAC).

Being the only player to play the 2 highest quality sources automatically makes it the best player...

But then it doesn't have quite the features of some of the others.
    i have busker and pocket tunes.

i like that busker can automatically index songs based on the artist. however, can't make playlists. would be nice too if it can index based on albums and genre as well.

i like that pocket tunes can make playlists and that i can select a number of songs to continuously, very handy when driving.
    pTunes is the best at the moment , nice , supports WMA , thight intergeration with WMP , but using Missing Sync on the mac , sloves the problem , my palm popus in as an iPod and I can transfer songs, pretty cool right , sorry Windows users , its only for the mac...
    My number one requirement is that the software resume exactly where left off.
    I know that Pocket Tunes does this but the Real One player does not.
    How about the rest listed here?

Do any of these players have the ability to automatically resume once a call is disconnected? Pocket Tunes will pause when an incoming call comes through but when you disconnect you have to go back to the application launcher and back into PTunes again and press play. It is an annoying thing to have to do while driving, especially at night when you turn on the Treo and get blinded by it's backlighting.

I mainly listen to audio books in MP3 format and some tracks go as long as 90 minutes. If the software does not pick up where it left off then it is worthless to me.
    Very few MP3 players can do this properly as most will only start at the beginning of the track they were last on.
    Global Posts
    586 Global Posts
    I think I'm gonna try Aerodrome. It looks pretty functional, and I like their EQ. If I don't like it, I can always try Ptunes or one of the others.
    Vince
    Global Posts
    586 Global Posts
    Ok, I downloaded Aeroplayer. It's nice enough, but not as intuitive as RealPlayer. I really like that RP sync's in it's own shell, and transfers music about as fast as can be expected through Palm's proprietary usb setup. What I don't like about RP is the lack of eq. Turns out I use the eq in Aero with my "canal phones", but I turn it off when playing it through my car radio (specifically the "Super Bass Boost" function). It actually ramps up everything it seems; not just low frequencies. The upper mid sounded punched up, as well - which is a nice change from most bass eq that seems to roll off the upper end, making music sound flat on top and too fat in the low end. I had to download a utility (Aerodrome recommended Card Export II) to load music onto the SD card. It turns out that's a really handy app. You can use the card like a virtual drive on your computer. It uses the Treo as the reader. I also had to load an app for deleting files like songs and unused skins (they recommended FileZ - which I also like now that I have it). What I don't like is having to load all the extra stuff onto my pda. In RP, I can do all that stuff already (well, skins aren't an issue). Comparing side by side using mp3 compressed at 192kbps with eq turned off on AeroPlayer, I slightly prefer the sound of RP through my headset. The difference is virtually undetectible through my car radio (using a Monster FM Transmitter). I haven't tried ogg files yet. I have to download another app for that (which makes me unhappy, but in the interest of better music, I am going to try it). Making playlists is easier (slightly) in RP, as well (well, more intuitve maybe is a better way to put it). I've only listened to a half dozen songs in the comparison (alternative, folk, bluegrass, and pop). I'm going to try some classical and jazz tomorrow and over the weekend. The one thing that may be a deal breaker for me using Aero is that the screen doesn't shut off while playing. If you turn it off manually, it shuts down the app. In RP, you can determine how long you want the screen to remain on, then after it shuts off, the app still runs. Both apps will run in the background while you do other things. That's all for now. I'm going to try some listening through my home stereo this weekend as well, just to see if there are any blaring differences that I can't hear using the other two methods. More later...
    Vince
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Usability insights are helpful, but what about Gfunk's origional question? My only problem with p-tunes are occational gaps or pauses during playback. I mostly need WMA playback. Would any of the other programs have better results, ie fewer or no gaps? Or, just plain sound better?

Thanks!

Mac
    "I Sync, therefore I AM!"

BellSouth became Cingular, left for ATT, who became Cingular, who became ATT. Is that right?
    Visor Pro > Vx > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Tilt!
    Global Posts
    586 Global Posts
    I've had no issues with pauses or gaps in the music using either player. I've actually been using RP for several weeks. I have had the soft reset occur a few times while using RP, which is annoying, but not the end of the world. After I get through this weekend, I may try Ptunes for another comparison. I really want to try the ogg file system, but I hate having to download an app onto my computer so I can convert my mp3 files. It just seems like a lot of trouble for an only potential incremental improvement.
    Vince
    I couldn't make the music come out from the headset output using any of those players. When I plug in my earphone to the output, the musci still comes out from the speaker. Can anyone help? Thanks!
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by handreach
    I couldn't make the music come out from the headset output using any of those players. When I plug in my earphone to the output, the musci still comes out from the speaker. Can anyone help? Thanks!
    Checkout our freedem from toysoft:

http://toysoft.ca/freedom.html

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Which ones can stream shoutcast? I don't suppose any of them can stream iTunes radio stations...