Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213 LastLast
  1.    #161  
    I am out voted. ProClips 3 to ExtremePDA 1

But I think ProClips is a stupid design over the vents and heaters. Seidio is the class of the heap.
    Last edited by specimen38; 02/11/2005 at 02:10 PM.
    But I think ProClips is a stupid design over the vents and heaters
    They have a different, custom mount for just about every vehicle. You can see vehicle make, model and year specific installation instructions and pictures for just about any vehicle on the road.

I have both a pro-clip mount and a pro-fit VSM legend (different manufacturer/company) in my F-150 and they are both great mounts. Both of them are great because they do not require and holes or modifications to be done to the vehicle. The pro-fit VSM legend mounts to one of the my factory radio bolts. The pro-clip is a "hook under, rotate and snap in" type mount but it is extremely secure. It is more stable than my bolt in mount because it has two mount points instead of one with a huge moment arm on it.

Anyway, the reason for all my babbling, is that I recommend that you go to both the pro-clip website and to the pro-fit website and see what they offer for your specific vehicle make, model and year. Between the two, I have 4 different vehicle specific mount choices for my vehicle and , in my case, they dont cover or block my vents at all.

Have a super day.
    car_designer
    Visor Deluxe-->Treo 600-->650 cameraless-->700P-->755P cameraless conversion -->Treo 800W + Celio Redfly all on Sprint
    Parrot ck-3300 handsfree + BT GPS
  3.    #163  
    Thanks for your advice. I went to the ProClips site and they only offer the Angle and Center mount for my car, which is a 2005 Infiniti FX 45. The Angle mount is fitted in the ashtray slot. I don't like that. The Adjustable Console mount is not recommended for my car.

I would love a solution that was un-invasive and/or without glue or drilling, but I can't find it. I will consider Seidio.
    Quote Originally Posted by car_designer
    They have a different, custom mount for just about every vehicle. You can see vehicle make, model and year specific installation instructions and pictures for just about any vehicle on the road.

I have both a pro-clip mount and a pro-fit VSM legend (different manufacturer/company) in my F-150 and they are both great mounts. Both of them are great because they do not require and holes or modifications to be done to the vehicle. The pro-fit VSM legend mounts to one of the my factory radio bolts. The pro-clip is a "hook under, rotate and snap in" type mount but it is extremely secure. It is more stable than my bolt in mount because it has two mount points instead of one with a huge moment arm on it.

Anyway, the reason for all my babbling, is that I recommend that you go to both the pro-clip website and to the pro-fit website and see what they offer for your specific vehicle make, model and year. Between the two, I have 4 different vehicle specific mount choices for my vehicle and , in my case, they dont cover or block my vents at all.

Have a super day.
    I would love a solution that was un-invasive and/or without glue or drilling, but I can't find it. I will consider Seidio.
    Don't forget option #3, a pro-fit vsm legend! Here is one that requires two screws/holes drilled, but it is in a panel under a trim panel, so no one will ever see it, unless they took apart your vehicle.

Check it out:

click here for the pro-fit vsm legend

Couple that with the pro-clip treo 600/650 specific holder and you will be all set!
    car_designer
    Visor Deluxe-->Treo 600-->650 cameraless-->700P-->755P cameraless conversion -->Treo 800W + Celio Redfly all on Sprint
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thMonkey
    yeah, that is real bummer about BT car kits at this time. If you go BT, you HAVE to sacrifice the external aerial unless you do the Nokia 610 or 616, which are only good for 900/1800 AND for handsets for the SAP (SIM access profile) or Remote Sim profile. essentially the same BT protocal with different names.

Hopefully Parrot will show a killer in January huh?
    100th, I know it's been a while, but is this still true? Because I found this on the SE website:

"Can I use my outside antenna together with the Bluetooth™ Car kit?

Yes, you can use an external antenna and* any suitable car holder together with HCB-30 and HCB-300."

http://www.sonyericsson.com/spg.jsp?...&pid=9943#1878
    (2nd item in FAQ)

I'm curious to know if you think this is possible with the plain old hands-free profile. TTBOMK, SE doesn't support the SAP profile.
    sure, you can hook the phone to a wired external aerial and then have the car kit connected via bluetooth but that kinda defeats the purpose of the bluetooth because you'll essentially have to buy 2 carkits: 1 for the antena and 1 for the BT.

Nokia's SIM access profile allows the car kit to do it all. Its kind of like remote desktop for your phone's antena. Does that make sense?
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    Well, I'm buying two kits anyway, either the HCB-30 or the CK3000, and also the Seidio G2100M, which I will use strictly for charging and mp3 playback. I like always popping my phone into a cradle to charge. Why don't I just get a wired cradle? Well, they don't really exist. I thought the Seidio would do, but it's just a dumb I/O box, no data transfer at all. But it has hard-wired power in and stereo out.

My only question is whether the presence of something in the Treo's headphone jack would trigger a hands-free mode of some sort in the phone, and override or prevent the bluetooth connection. Can you guys connect to bluetooth kits with stereo headphones in the Treo?

As for SAP, I guess it's dorta like the Parrot Kit that you stick your SIM into, the kit "becomes" the phone. So if I understand you correctly, with this SAP profile, the antenna somehow connects to the kit itself and you get access to it via BT, correct?
    As for SAP, I guess it's dorta like the Parrot Kit that you stick your SIM into, the kit "becomes" the phone. So if I understand you correctly, with this SAP profile, the antenna somehow connects to the kit itself and you get access to it via BT, correct?
    Its just like that parrot kit, but you don't have to take the sim out and stick it into the carkit. It reads and uses the SIM info through bluetooth. The parrot 3500 has an option to do this as well. The external antenna is connected to the carkit. It only works with phones that are compatible with that SIM/SAP profile. (GSM phones for starters...)
    car_designer
    too bad its only Nokias for the meantime AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

10.    #170  
    I don't like that one either. It looks too add-on ish. I will probably do http://www.raytel-llc.com/TellPhone4000Blue_index.html and put the 650 on the seat next to me. this system is all voice driven. Dial by number, dial by name, redial, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by car_designer
    Don't forget option #3, a pro-fit vsm legend! Here is one that requires two screws/holes drilled, but it is in a panel under a trim panel, so no one will ever see it, unless they took apart your vehicle.

Check it out:

click here for the pro-fit vsm legend

Couple that with the pro-clip treo 600/650 specific holder and you will be all set!
  11.    #171  
    100thMonkey,

I have a dumb question, but if it worked it would be cool. Here it goes. I have an antenna for XM satellite radio on top of my FX 45. I don't use it because I don't have a subscription. I know it's for digital radio reception, but I was wondering. Could I use it for GSM? See posted below -- just above the windshield.
    http://www.infiniti.com/m/cma/i/cat/...gy_0_large.jpg
    depends on the frequency that it was designed to work on...so likely no since wireless spectrum is licensed. I'm not sure if the spectrum that satellite radio works on is licensed or not, for instance, Bluetooth and WiFi work in unlicensed spectrum, same as the microwave. Anybody can work at 2.4 gHz

For those ordering car mounts for the 650 from extremepda.com, don't expect them to ship in the 24 hour timeframe as advertised in their site. I ordered mine last Sunday night and it didn't ship out until today (Thursday). I know it's a small store, but when they promise shipment in 24 hours and they compete with bigger players (proclips, buy.com, amazon, etc), they need to give me a reason to come back (didn't do) as opposed to a reason to not come back (did do).
    Quote Originally Posted by TREOpalooza
    For those ordering car mounts for the 650 from extremepda.com, don't expect them to ship in the 24 hour timeframe as advertised in their site. I ordered mine last Sunday night and it didn't ship out until today (Thursday). I know it's a small store, but when they promise shipment in 24 hours and they compete with bigger players (proclips, buy.com, amazon, etc), they need to give me a reason to come back (didn't do) as opposed to a reason to not come back (did do).

Maybe it's just me, but I thought the whole clip/mount discussion in a Bluetooth thread was a little strange in the first place. If your BT is working, you don't need to be able to handle the phone!! My T650 is always in my briefcase or coat pocket.
  15.    #175  
    Jazzi,

Here is my quick response.
    1) signal strength is better if your phone is connected to an external antenna which is usually in some type of cradle. Certainly not extreme PDA's cradle or ProClipUSA. I am thinking of a Raytel Tellphone 4000 with compenser. If you have only read this page in this thread then you have missed the progression of this discussion. The "unwired" cradles are temporary for me. I'll ultimately have a Seidio/Raytel combo solution.
    2) I also don't like to fuss with battery drain and messy cigarette lighter chargers
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazzi
    Maybe it's just me, but I thought the whole clip/mount discussion in a Bluetooth thread was a little strange in the first place. If your BT is working, you don't need to be able to handle the phone!! My T650 is always in my briefcase or coat pocket.
  16.    #176  
    I installed on of these in my other car last night and I like it. It's perfect for a $120+ dollar solution. The audio is very good coming out of the speaker. I could hear the caller's voice very well.
    http://www.expansys-usa.com/i/b/b114426.jpg NYCubby was right.
  17.    #177  
    You are right. I called him today after reading your post. He said it was in the mail. I ordered it on Friday Feb 11th. It is a temporary solution until I get either a Seidio, THB or Raytel.
    Quote Originally Posted by TREOpalooza
    Actually it's even better when it's under $100 delivered. I got 2 off eBay and they work great.

Quote Originally Posted by specimen38
    I installed on of these in my other car last night and I like it. It's perfect for a $120+ dollar solution. The audio is very good coming out of the speaker. I could hear the caller's voice very well.
    http://www.expansys-usa.com/i/b/b114426.jpg NYCubby was right.
  19.    #179  
    I paid $129.00, but that was for the convenience of being able to walk into Fry's Electronics/no shipping hassle and coming home and installing it. It was a good investment.
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterEd
    Actually it's even better when it's under $100 delivered. I got 2 off eBay and they work great.