Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    sure, one of the biggest reasons is that only now are headset in car laws really spreading across the nation. those laws really spurn BT sales and development
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
  2.    #62  
    TellPhone 4000 Blue
    Listen to their demo. It is identical to what I have in my car now. It's very familiar to me. If this thing works with an antenna, and RayTell does not make a version to support the Treo 650. I am prepared to make a huge compromise. I am going to buy 2 GSM phones. One will be the most inexpensive BlueTooth phone I can find that is compatible with the TellPhone 4000. This phone will stay in the car -- in the cradle. And the second phone will be my Treo 650.

Question: Will Cingular permit me to have two SIM cards?
    Last edited by specimen38; 12/18/2004 at 09:28 PM.
    nope for Cingular

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

4.    #64  
    100th,

I am wondering will/can PalmOne correct the problems with the BlueTooth Handsfree profile in the upcoming ROM patch. I can only conclude that the BlueTooth problems that are apparent with the car manufacturer's car kit implementation will be apparent with the TellPhone 4000 and T650. Do you understand the nature of the problem with the T650? The T650 seems to work fine with the SuperTooth device. Is it that the Hands Free capabilities are only limited to out put in speakers and headsets? On another thread, I read where someone said -- fixing BlueTooth on the T650 required a new radio be put onto the T650 circut board. Is that true?
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thMonkey
    nope for Cingular
    I see it as a case where this is the first handset that Palm has actually made since the Tungsten W (which didn't even have an earpiece on the handset)

Then they got somebody else's ideas, i.e. HS's Treo 600, and have tried to make some changes.

They should have started from the ground up because the Sprint version of the T650 is really having a hard time coming out of the gate.

As for the BT problem, I see that as a growing pain for P1 because it is really their first product to implement headset/handsfree profiles. Most people's serial BT connections work fine, but this is just the first time that P1 has gotten their grubby hands on it. I am confident that the hardware is fine but the underlying stacks, or BT profile programming is the issue. Just like shadowmite has been making improvements with the ROM and Wi-Fi and the P1-fiscel voice quality patch has been floating about, and the T600 voice recording patch back in the day...its all up to a programmer to get it right.

6.    #66  
    Well said 100th... I wonder what sort of feedback drives PalmOne development. Also, I am glad to hear that it is not a hardware problem. A stack problem is not as bad. By the way, the TellPhone 4000 Supports GSM 850 & 1900 Antenna . They've got something called a Compenser that strengthens, allocates and re-distributes RF signal strength.

I see it as a case where this is the first handset that Palm has actually made since the Tungsten W (which didn't even have an earpiece on the handset)

Then they got somebody else's ideas, i.e. HS's Treo 600, and have tried to make some changes.

They should have started from the ground up because the Sprint version of the T650 is really having a hard time coming out of the gate.

As for the BT problem, I see that as a growing pain for P1 because it is really their first product to implement headset/handsfree profiles. Most people's serial BT connections work fine, but this is just the first time that P1 has gotten their grubby hands on it. I am confident that the hardware is fine but the underlying stacks, or BT profile programming is the issue. Just like shadowmite has been making improvements with the ROM and Wi-Fi and the P1-fiscel voice quality patch has been floating about, and the T600 voice recording patch back in the day...its all up to a programmer to get it right.
    Well thank you,

and uhh, I am going to peruse the TellPhone 4000 info tomorrow evening...you have peaked my curiosity!!!

8.    #68  
    Cool. I am glad your interests is peaked. As I will be doing my own research with Raytel tomorrow also. Perhaps we can corroborate our findings back here. There is a local radio/car kit installer about 13 miles away that installs for RayTel that I am going to check with also.
    Well thank you,

and uhh, I am going to peruse the TellPhone 4000 info tomorrow evening...you have peaked my curiosity!!!
    WOW! Very cool thread! I must say that Tellphone kit looks very interesting indeed. I wish I could contirbute more here but I am as of right now still Treo 650-less and bluetooth-less. However, I'll be on the lookout for anything that peaks my eye!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  10.    #70  
    100th,

I spoke with Tim Hurlbut at RayTell today. Really nice guy. Very aware of the Treo 650 and the number of Treo users. He said they have already been working on making the PDA/Phones (specifically) work with their system. Also, stated that they would know by the end of January 2005 if the Treo 650 will work with their system.

This is what I learned: TellPhone 3000 is the only kit that allows users to connect an antenna to a GSM phone. The TellPhone 4000 does not have that feature because the BlueTooth phone does not sit in a cradle with this product. Obviously, the cradle is what connects the antenna. However, the TellPhone 4000 has the best interface. I got the impression from Tim that there are no immediate plans to include a cradle with the TP 4000. He said that all of their work is done through a network of integraters/installers around the country and that they don't post the kits on websites to sell directly to the public.

Their parent company is the OEM for BMW and Mercedes integrated phone products. The product they sell is essentially the product I have in my S-Class now.

Upon my invitation, Tim came on to our thread and started reading our post regarding the TellPhone product. The following is his reply email back to me:
    Xxxxxxxxxx,
    I enjoyed speaking with you this morning. We are very motivated to make our system compatible with the TRio.
    I will make it point to keep you up to date on our testing results.
    Thanks for all your interest.

Tim Hurlbut
    RAYTEL LLC
    Director of Sales
    8820 Kenamar Drive
    Suite 506
    San Diego, Ca. 92121
    Tel 858-566-2159
    Fax 858-566-2179
    Cell 858-361-9339
    thurlbut@tellphone.com
    TellPhone
    Talk On...
    ----------------------- Original Message -----------------------

To: <thurlbut@tellphone.com>
    Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 10:27:34 -0800
    Subject: from xxxxxx/treocentral thread

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=65461
  11.    #71  
    100th,

I spoke with a guy (Greg) who has a business integrating the TellPhone 4000. The guy was really sharp. He knows about the Treo 650 and other PDAs. He said he has been unable to get any of the PDAs to work with Car Kits in general. His list included HP, Palm, Blackberry, etc. He said that they (manufacturers) needed to simply the BlueTooth stacks in the way that they are implemented in regular BlueTooth phones. However, he has been successful in integrating a PDA with the TellPhone 4000, but only by making the TellPhone 4000 a slave device with caller ID. The result is that none of the voice dial features are available through TellPhone. Also, he had an excellent work around for GSM antenna and TellPhone 4000. This guy was very friendly. I have attached his info below in case there are additional questions.

Greg
    CPS Communications
    589 Rohnert Park Expressway West
    Rohnert Park, CA 94928
    (707) 588-9300
    check out the website
    http://www.raytel-llc.com/index.html

the most expensive of the bunch, but supposedly the best with voice commands. I had emailed them a while back when I first learned of the Nokia 616, so maybe 4 months ago. They said that they had no plans to support the Treo line and they do give an extensive list of phones they support
    I didn't see a price on their site how much have you found it going for?

Also....how well do these devices pick up your voice with drive noise on the freeway? How have you found the sound quality on the other end?
  13.    #73  
    Hobbes,

RayTel sells an accessory called a loop isolators as well as filters that when applied reduce the sound of ground and drive noise. RayTel does not quote prices over phone to end-users. You will have to call one of their installers. I have spoken with an installer and the very high end (i.e. everything) is thereabout $1000.00. If you scale back on the extras such as the TellPhone model (substitute the TellPhone 4000 for the TP 2000), cradle connected to external antenna, loop isolators, etc then your price is going to be a lot less.

RayTel is owned by the German company FunkwerkAG. This is the same OEM company that integrates car kits in Mercedes and BMW. I presently have a FunkwerkAG car kit in my 2002 S-Class. I love it. The quality of my current car kit has been the driving force leading me to integrate a Treo 650 with a high quality car kit.
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    I didn't see a price on their site how much have you found it going for?

Also....how well do these devices pick up your voice with drive noise on the freeway? How have you found the sound quality on the other end?
  14.    #74  
    100th,

I spoke with Tim Hurlbut again. I informed him of what Greg (the car integrator) had said about integrating PDAs. Tim then replied without tipping his hand too much, "call me in January and ask me about BlueTooth 2000." By his response, I am concluding that this is a upgrade of some sort that works with the Treo 650 and other PDAs.
    Quote Originally Posted by specimen38
    Hobbes,

RayTel sells an accessory called a loop isolators as well as filters that when applied reduce the sound of ground and drive noise. RayTel does not quote prices over phone to end-users. You will have to call one of their installers. I have spoken with an installer and the very high end (i.e. everything) is thereabout $1000.00. If you scale back on the extras such as the TellPhone model (substitute the TellPhone 4000 for the TP 2000), cradle connected to external antenna, loop isolators, etc then your price is going to be a lot less.

RayTel is owned by the German company FunkwerkAG. This is the same OEM company that integrates car kits in Mercedes and BMW. I presently have a FunkwerkAG car kit in my 2002 S-Class. I love it. The quality of my current car kit has been the driving force leading me to integrate a Treo 650 with a high quality car kit.
    I just noticed on the site that they only list GMS.....do you know of any quality car kits that supports CDMA?
  16.    #76  
    Hobbes,

Here is a list a CDMA and GSM compatible phones for cradles. see CDMA phones Of course, with Bluetooth kit, it doesn't matter.

---------------------------------------
    RayTel Pricing on the 2000, 3000 & 4000 series car kits. Also pricing on the exterior antenna.

PalmOne Support Update for the following BlueTooth carkits:

MobileEase car kit from Peiker Acoustics, used in Ford, Lincoln and Mercury cars
    HandsFreeLink TM car kit from Johnson Controls Inc. (JCI) used in Honda and Acura cars
    UConnect car kit from Johnson Controls Inc. (JCI) used in Jeep, Chrysler and Dodge cars
    Integrated car kit used in Audi vehicles with Bluetooth technology
    DriveBlue Installation-free Bluetooth car Kit from Parrot
    CK3000 Bluetooth handsfree kit from Parrot
    CK3100 Bluetooth handsfree kit from Parrot
    Anycom HCC-110 headset car kit
    I was poking around that site S38 and I didn't see the pricing for the external antena....is it actually an interior windshield mount antena?

Quote Originally Posted by specimen38
    100th,

I spoke with Tim Hurlbut again. I informed him of what Greg (the car integrator) had said about integrating PDAs. Tim then replied without tipping his hand too much, "call me in January and ask me about BlueTooth 2000." By his response, I am concluding that this is a upgrade of some sort that works with the Treo 650 and other PDAs.

groovy, gotta see what's the difference in the 2000 and 4000 then...

EDIT: I like the remote control for the 4000 the best

'04 PRIUS + TREO 650 SUCCESS (90%)

I'll spread this around...
    As of an hour ago, my 650 and Prius work well together. I can make and receive calls (steering wheel button and touchscreen), but it's the phone that rings, not the car. Audio is fine. Touchscreen phone book and dialing works perfectly. I'm delighted.

HOWEVER - something tells me this is a precarious situation, and that I'm best served by not turning that phone off.

I got there by pairing, then as previously suggested making a call - just ignoring the cancel screen. After the third try, it seemed to work. Then it didn't, and after going through the ritual yet again I gave up. Then, hours later, I got in the car and pushed the steering wheel button and WOW!!! Go figger...
  20.    #80  
    It appears that RayTel only makes an internal antenna. But RayTel also makes a "compenser" that will connect to any external antenna. Also, on that site -- there are 3 really cool external antennas by Terk http://www.cellular4sale.com/s.nl/sc...tegory.2185/.f

Also the installing company I spoke to over the phone last week informed me that external antennas were available for GSM phones/cradles.
    I was poking around that site S38 and I didn't see the pricing for the external antena....is it actually an interior windshield mount antena?
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast