1.    #1  
    I'm currently living abroad and i'm going to be traveling to and from USA. I wanted to know if any of you guys know if you can program 2 numbers on the Treo 650. I know of older models that had what they call dual NAMs for changing in different areas. Let me know.

Rico
    If you mean you want to use the same Treo650 with a US phone number people can call you at and an "abroad" phone number people can call you at, then depending where "abroad" is (like if it's anywhere in Europe or most of Asia) then the solution should be as simple as getting an unlocked GSM 650 then getting a sim card with your local GSM provider and a sim card with a US provider (each sim card determines the phone number that will make your 650 ring) and then depending where you are you put in the appropriate sim card. That's the beauty of GSM.
    Oh, so they have internet on computers now!
    --Treo 650 unlocked/unbranded with Rogers
    Is the Treo 650 (CDMA or GSM) dual NAM???
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not" Thomas Jefferson
  4.    #4  
    Yeah what I want to know if it is Dual NAM. My current provider is CDMA so GSM won't be an option.

thanks
    I don't believe the GSM model could be dual NAM because the "nam" is basically the SIM card .... well, I guess then it could be considered "unlimited manual NAM."

HOWEVER, there is a device I always see on eBay called a "dual sim card" where they CLAIM you can use 2 sims at once. CRICK HERE

Quote Originally Posted by firefinder24
    Is the Treo 650 (CDMA or GSM) dual NAM???
    The CDMA version is not. As mentioned, GSM is, by nature, since you can just swap the SIM card.
    Re: GSM ..... Assuming the multiple lines are from the same provider OR the phone is unlocked.
    Quote Originally Posted by bkrodgers
    The CDMA version is not. As mentioned, GSM is, by nature, since you can just swap the SIM card.
    Hi,
    I also wondered if the T650 offered dual nam capabilities and the answer i got was "probably not" -- so frankly - I'm still not sure. But I have 2 phone numbers and need to keep them both.

What I did instead was to get a Vonage (Voice over IP) line and then have it "simul-ring" to the Treo-650.

The home line rings & the cell phone rings at (mostly) the same time. Whichever phone I pick up is the one that gets the call.

Benefits
    ======
    Relatively cheap ($15/month) 500 minutes
    Relatively Easy
    Can port existing number to Vonage

Downside
    =======
    - A call to that Vonage # means that it's going VOIP then to Sprint. So call quality degrades. It's never awful - but sometimes (especially if the caller is on a cell phone too) it is just better for me to hang up and call them back -- that also eliminates the Vonage meter from ticking.

- Caller ID doesn't always pass through to Sprint ... I have a trouble-ticket with Vonage on this.

IDEAL SOLUTION
    =============
    Anyone know of a cheap call-bounce service?
    - Would love to port my Vonage phone to a service that is really a telephone "alias". A call comes in and it just bounces it to my sprint phone number. That would give me the essential dual-nam capability but only one voice mail box (which is OK by me).

If anyone knows of such a service - would love to hear about it.

William
    Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    Why not just use call forwarding after a set number of rings on your home (Vonage) line?
    I've been doing this for years and it works fine. If someone calls the house, I have 4 rings to answer, otherwise it's forwarded to my cell phone.
    Only one place to check voicemail and only one number for most folks to remember.

Quick, easy and it works.
    Of course, it won't solve your Vonage 500 minute issue, but it would work.
    You could do remote call forward as well. Basically a virtual number that immediately send calls to a pre determined number. The RCF line is typically slightly less than a standard POTS line (Plain old telephone service) and does not carry any of the surcharges. Business tend to use these when they change locations that dont have the same npa-nxx.

Depending on your location I can get you one of these for a nominal MRC.

-rob
    Last edited by Les Anderson; 12/27/2004 at 02:30 PM.
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    Quote Originally Posted by jberger
    Why not just use call forwarding after a set number of rings on your home (Vonage) line?
    I've been doing this for years and it works fine. If someone calls the house, I have 4 rings to answer, otherwise it's forwarded to my cell phone.
    Only one place to check voicemail and only one number for most folks to remember.

Quick, easy and it works.
    Of course, it won't solve your Vonage 500 minute issue, but it would work.
    Actually - using Vonage, I can have it ring the home first then the cell phone, but since Sprint has a fixed 23 second ring before voice mail (bothers me that I can't shorten it), I just have it ring both at the same time. Thus, instead of someone waiting for 4 rings, then another 23 seconds to voicemail, they wait 23 seconds in total.

If I'm at home - I pick up the home phone. If I'm away, I pick up the T650.
    Quote Originally Posted by robber
    You could do remote call forward as well. Basically a virtual number that immediately send calls to a pre determined number. The RCF line is typically slightly less than a standard POTS line (Plain old telephone service) and does not carry any of the surcharges. Business tend to use these when they change locations that dont have the same npa-nxx.

Depending on your location I can get you one of these for a nominal MRC.

-rob

Rob - More info? What is MRC? (I'm guessing monthly recurring charge??). Approx cost. I'm currently only paying about $15/month for Vonage - but I don't need to have that VOIP thing going so if I could get a cheap RCF fixed-cost line bouncing to my cell phone, that would be worth considering.

Thanks.
    Yes, monthly recurring charge. What area code/ state are you in?

-rob
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    Check out Accessline you can have a smart number that will follow you based on your preferences. Its like 19.95 a month...and you can set it based on time, or to run through a list of numbers to call you at....etc

Greg