Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Condensing the power of a desktop into the convenience of a mobile phone, the Motorola MPx provides business consumers with a new choice for live, real time, on-the-go connectivity in a never seen before form factor. This new mobile delivers an “always at hand” convenience via Windows Mobile ™ software, a QWERTY keyboard, continuous connectivity using Wi-Fi and Bluetooth® technology, as well as an embedded 1.2 megapixel camera and large dual-hinge landscape and portrait color display. The Motorola MPx creates a successful merger between business and pleasure. Breaking through the convergence clutter, the Motorola MPx is the must-have solution to help driven professionals manage their mobile lives in real time whether at work, at home, on the road or at play.

Live Real time
    You can wait in lines and at stoplights, but you won’t have to wait to be connected with the Motorola MPx. Live real time with speedy downloads thanks to GSM and GPRS technology that enables you to do what you want, wherever and whenever you want. The Motorola MPx portable desktop capabilities enhance your ability to stay informed while away from the office – now you can even view e-mail attachments without separate downloadable software. With the Motorola MPx, it’s easy to streamline communications. Feel free to experience life as it happens and conduct business on the move without hesitation. So go ahead and wait in line – the Motorola MPx will keep you connected at rocket speeds no matter where life takes you.

Power Never Looked This Good
    With the power of your desktop in the palm of your hand, you'll never miss a beat in your business or social endeavors while on the road. The powerful Motorola MPx offers compatibility with all Microsoft Pocket PC applications, allowing you to stay focused on business as you meander through the streets of success.

An Over-Achiever in Convergence
    Blending the best of all your wireless devices into a product smaller than most convergence products on the market, the Motorola MPx takes your mobile office to a whole new level. All of your contacts are easily at your fingertips thanks to the device's remote mail experience and the multi-function QWERTY keyboard lets you send emails in a snap. Add to that, continuous connectivity via Wi-Fi and Bluetooth wireless technology - now you can maximize your availability and productivity. Mergers, acquisitions, partnerships – you're ready for it all.

Summary of Features

* Microsoft Windows Mobile™ software allows compatibility with all Pocket PC applications
    * Large dual-hinge landscape and portrait color display for an enhanced experience for gaming, as well as viewing streaming video, photos, applications and more
    * External color display for selecting MP3 music and more
    * One of a kind stylish form factor optimized to consume convergence clutter
    * Integrated 1.2 megapixel camera for on-the-go photo capture
    * 2.8” 240x320 TFT touch screen for easy data input that also works with a stylus
    * Multi-function QWERTY keyboard for easy text entry and managing e-mail
    * Embedded 802.11b wireless networking for high speed Wi-Fi access
    * Integrated Bluetooth® wireless technology for seamless connectivity with compatible devices
    * Multi-Media Messaging Service (MMS) for sending photos, wallpaper, icons, ring tones and more
    * SD/MMC slot allowing up to 1 GB of add-on memory for adding business applications, productivity tools, games and more
    * IrDA (Infra red) and built-in ActiveSync® protocol to sync with Microsoft Outlook including email, address books, etc.

The Motorola MPx is expected to be available in the second half of 2004. For more information regarding pricing and product availability in your region, please check with your local Motorola representative.

http://www.motorola.com/motoinfo/pro.../0,,48,00.html
    Last edited by quickstang; 12/07/2004 at 07:31 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by quickstang
    The Motorola MPx is expected to be available in the second half of 2004. For more information regarding pricing and product availability in your region, please check with your local Motorola representative.
    I almost didn't respond to this infomercial until I got to the last line. Hope they really push the envelope because there's only 24 days left.

If you read reviews and opinions elsewhere, you'll see that the phone looks sexy, but I'll bet it's a bomb:

1. Won't see light of day BEFORE second half of 2005.

2. 32mb ram on a PPC - and you thought you saw a firestorm over the Treo 650 RAM issue?

3. Nearly same size as Treo 650, and a little thicker - pretty big for a flip phone don't you think?

4. Those few who've been allowed to touch say the keyboard sucks.

Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
  3.    #3  
    Yeah, i've already read the memory issue over at Gizmodo. I agree that if there was fuss on the Treo with the Palm OS, look out. I posted the link to the pictures, and it does look like the keyboard sucks. I've used a Treo 600 before at work, or at least played with one. Can't say on the MPx
    quickstang - I can say one thing - the keyboard on the Treo 650 is the berries (pun intended). While I could make do with the TReo 600 keyboard, the new one is terrific - in fact, I've not even tried to install Graffiti Anywhere, and I'm a confirmed graffiti addict. I'll never go back to a keyboardless PDA!
  5.    #5  
    I was thinking about that. I always used to want to put Graffiti on the 600 at Best Buy, but I never did. That was one thing I wish I had. Now if the keyboard is as terrific as you describe, then no more worries eh I did see a dummy one at Sprint, but I wish we would carry the thing. Best Buy blows when it comes to getting cell phone stuff. Well in my 1yr+ experience working with them in that dept. We NEVER had any accessories for the 600 the whole time it was out. NOTHING. Well, cut to fit screen protectors by fellows, and that was it.
    I like the concept of the dual flip phone. Too bad they have no real timeline of when this unit will come to the market.
    It looks clever, but they all look clever. The MPx is certainly not a one handed device. The MPx form factor is unique and even perhaps a novelty firs. But in the real world, I don't want a Windows PC at my finger tips. I grind on a PC everyday at work, so when I come home in the evening -- I want something different, so I come home to a Mac. It's one of the reasons why I like the PalmOS. It's different.
    Watch out! It is only a tri-band phone. This means that it is missing the 850 MHz band used extensively in the US. If you are a GSM user and live in the US, this phone is a bad choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by curlykraut
    Watch out! It is only a tri-band phone. This means that it is missing the 850 MHz band used extensively in the US. If you are a GSM user and live in the US, this phone is a bad choice.
    Since it's GSM only with no plans for a CDMA version.....
    i think the mpx looks really cool. i thought that a year ago when i first read about it. i've become a realist about electronics. can anybody say 'vaporware'?
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
    Global Posts
    907 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    I almost didn't respond to this infomercial until I got to the last line. Hope they really push the envelope because there's only 24 days left.

If you read reviews and opinions elsewhere, you'll see that the phone looks sexy, but I'll bet it's a bomb:

1. Won't see light of day BEFORE second half of 2005.

2. 32mb ram on a PPC - and you thought you saw a firestorm over the Treo 650 RAM issue?

3. Nearly same size as Treo 650, and a little thicker - pretty big for a flip phone don't you think?

4. Those few who've been allowed to touch say the keyboard sucks.

Ditto on the keyboard...I got to play with an MPx back in March, and it's certainly not for everyone. Personally, I wasn't impressed.
    You need to realize, there's a lot of people out there who don't want to use Windows Mobile. Including Mac users like myself
    Looks cool, but if you can't use it with one hand, then it's not for me.
    Dec 22nd & still no update.. sometimes I just don't get cell phone manufacturers and these phone companies. marketing ghost products and giving falsified release dates. go figure you would think they would get on the ball before the Treo 650 hits all carriers.
    "I have to return some videotapes."
    I think the only reason even PalmOne gets a Treo launch out the door is because it is their ONLY cell phone (smart or otherwise). When it comes to Motorola, Samsung, Nokia, and Kyocera, the smartphones are "just another product that will ship when it ships."
  16. nix
    I'd like to try one out but I don't like that you can't use it with one hand like others have said. I hate to say it but one handed operation of the Treo while driving increases my productivity by huge amounts. If I really wanted Windows on the road and had to use two hands anyway I would lean to my more robust iPaq 4700 with a bluetooth phone.
    32 MB on a PPC platform is worse than a joke. PPC apps all seem to use at least twice as much RAM as their Palm counterparts, often more than that. This product is DOA for anyone who is even remotely a "power user."
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    As a previous owner of a engineer sample, I can vouch that the MPx is NOT a treo killer. That phone was HUGE when you open it up to take a phone call. Granted, the keyboard is pretty nice and actually works decently, it really isn't as easy to type with as the Treo. The form factor really did turn some heads but at the end of the day, i just want a device that I can use simply and onehanded. It is (to me) impossible to use one handed: that's a deal breaker for me. The Wi-Fi worked, however, the battery life SUCKED when using that or the bluetooth. It might have been b/c it was an engineer sample but there was no way i could practically use the Wi-Fi without killing the battery. Trust me when I say that the MPx will NOT kill the Treo. There's a reason I sold it on eBay and kept my 650.
    Global Posts
    311 Global Posts
    Here is a review of the mpx that sums it up:

http://www.howardchui.com/modules.ph...icle&artid=181
    Tell a man there are 300 billion stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

Check out my crazy Golden Retrievers!
    Wow, after reading that review any lust for the MPx is gone. As far as a practical device goes, the Treo 650 just blows it away. If you really need a PPC phone the new i-Mate Jam looks much better. It's about the same size as the Treo (but no keyboard).

But as a Mac owner, I wouldn't be getting one of these anyways! :-)
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast