Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    As a brand new Treo 650 user, I'm baffled that for a phone based on the Palm OS, they didn't add the Palm handwriting into it.

I'm, hoping someone will write an add-in app to provide this.

Seems very inconvienent if I already have the stylist out to have to put it down and use both hands on the thumbboard to type even the beginning few characters to find a contact to call.
    have you tryed graffiti? It workds on the 600 and its freeware
    Nokia 3210 > Nokia 3310 >Palm Vx > Palm M105 >Treo 180g and Nokia 8850 > Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Sony TH55 > Tapwave Zodiac 2 > Treo 650 GSM > Imate KJam > Treo 750v

Formerly Known As PRANKSTAR
    this is amazing what stuff is not included in the 650 ... I'm out of here.
    Graffiti plus did not work for me but Jot does. Unfortunatley Jot also costs $40.
    This is amazing what stuff is not included in the 650 ... I'm out of here
    HUH?!?! Sheesh guys... just use Graffiti Anywhere which is a Freeware app and works great. Do a search and you'll find it...

Furthermore, if you want true handwriting recog, there are various apps like decuma and myscript among others...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  6. hub
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    HUH?!?! Sheesh guys... just use Graffiti Anywhere which is a Freeware app and works great. Do a search and you'll find it...
    What version? The latest was released in April. Are you sure it will work on the 650?
    Graffiti Anywhere works. I use the calendar button as the activator.

You are forced to use Graffiti 2, which is, IMHO, is very inferior to Graffiti 1. I managed to switch my Clie from G1 to G2, but it doesn't look possible on the T650. Anybody have any luck here?
    Sorry, meant to say "switched the Clie from G2 to G1".
    When I first got my 600, I too wanted graffiti. I downloaded trial versions of several apps, and found that after the first few days I never used them. The keyboard is, quite simply, far easier, faster, and more accurate once you practice a little bit. And the keyboard on the 650 is even better.

Give yourself a few days, or a couple of weeks, with the keyboard, and you'll understand why Palm didn't bother putting graffiti in.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Jot kicks azz
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    Quote Originally Posted by van3605
    Seems very inconvienent if I already have the stylist out to have to put it down and use both hands on the thumbboard to type even the beginning few characters to find a contact to call.
    Maybe it's just the way I hold the stylus, but I don't have to put it down to use the keyboard - a simple flick of the fingers, and I switch immediately from holding it like a pen to holding it like a cigarette (not that I smoke); use the keyboard; flick back to holding it like a pen.
    If they'd come up with a way to reset the thing without using a pin, i'd throw my otherwise useless stylus away.
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
    Quote Originally Posted by beelzebueb
    this is amazing what stuff is not included in the 650 ... I'm out of here.
    LOL. Oh wait, you're serious? Come on man, the only treo to EVER had graffitti was the Treo 180g which did not have a keyboard. That's it. None of the keyboard Treos have ever had graffitti. Why the 650 should somehow be faulted for not including it is beyond me.
    Quote Originally Posted by van3605
    I don't use the stylus anymore either, except for a few old programs that don't recognize the 5-way. Between the 5-way, and an occasional tap with a finger, the stylus is unnecessary. (Yes, I do use a Boxwave screen protector.)

The Treo is a new paradigm in Palm interface design. Don't force it back to the "old way." Try using it the way it was intended for a while, and I think you'll find it's a major improvement.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    I have a 289K file called "Graffiti 2 Library" on my 650. Does this mean the guts are there I just need something to enable it? Like Grafitti Anywhere?
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    Furthermore, if you want true handwriting recog, there are various apps like decuma and myscript among others...
    Any opinions on the best handwriting recognition software.

(The keyboard is a big reason why I'm getting the Treo, but I have pretty good handwriting software that came with my iPaq and I do find it tolerably accurate and occasionally handy. It's certainly a lot better than the original Newton I owned. Man I wanted the Newton to work so badly, but it just didn't for me.)
    Oh, so they have internet on computers now!
    --Treo 650 unlocked/unbranded with Rogers
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb
    Give yourself a few days, or a couple of weeks, with the keyboard, and you'll understand why Palm didn't bother putting graffiti in.
    I found a typing game for the Treo 600.
    Astraware
    I am going to try it tonight.
    Can the experts out there "touch type" with the Treo?

Thanks
    Cleve
    Quote Originally Posted by Boobookins
    Any opinions on the best handwriting recognition software.

(The keyboard is a big reason why I'm getting the Treo, but I have pretty good handwriting software that came with my iPaq and I do find it tolerably accurate and occasionally handy. It's certainly a lot better than the original Newton I owned. Man I wanted the Newton to work so badly, but it just didn't for me.)
    Ha!!!!

Another poor soul, super duper early adopter, who bought the early Newton beside me. Did you get the one (like I got) that used AAAs and battery life of only a few days??? Man, that was an expensive paper weight.

Anyway, I am new to the treo platform and thumb-boards and have found that not only do I not NEED grafitti but I don't WANT it after two weeks with my T650.
    Nanotechnology Nerd
    i300-->i330-->i500-->6700(1 wk!)-->Sprintt650-->gsm650-->HTC Universal (1 mo.)-->gsm650-->Cing8525(3wks!)-->gsm650
    I still have my first 3 Newtons. The last one really was awesome. Big, but ahead of its time. But I digress.

I put Jot on my 650 and liked it although it does sometime screw up things like dialing the phone phone from the sceen. I wish I could have a button to activate JOT like Graphiti. Actually I don't care becuase the keyboard is so much better then the 650, I get faster results with my thumbs.
    I had 2 Newtons. The very first one they introduced (which I was lucky enough to get new for $250CDN at a time when they were retailing for a $1000CDN as part of program Apple for resellers) and then later I had a Newton 120 which was much improved, but yes, big. (In fact carrying the Newton in an inside suit jacket gave me a neck kink and made me understand why shoulder holsters have counter weights on the other side.) I'm sad that I no longer have either.

I'm very looking forward to a thumb keyboard and am hoping that I can use it fast enough to jot down ideas and maybe even make notes in meetings, but I'll likely continue to explore handwriting recognition software. (I did learn Graphiti on my Palm V but was never very proficient.)
    Oh, so they have internet on computers now!
    --Treo 650 unlocked/unbranded with Rogers
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast