Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    KBistas::

None of us regrets having the kboard. The KB has its uses. OTOH, if you are not using the stylus, that is your choice and your loss.

Personally I use both BUT there are things the KB is uselss for.
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraOrdinaryJo
    If they'd come up with a way to reset the thing without using a pin, i'd throw my otherwise useless stylus away.
    Ahem...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by Boobookins
    Any opinions on the best handwriting recognition software.

(The keyboard is a big reason why I'm getting the Treo, but I have pretty good handwriting software that came with my iPaq and I do find it tolerably accurate and occasionally handy. It's certainly a lot better than the original Newton I owned. Man I wanted the Newton to work so badly, but it just didn't for me.)

Decuma seems like a nice app:

http://www.palminfocenter.com/images/OnSpot1.gif
    http://www.decuma.com/

So does Myscript:

http://www.vision-objects.com/IMG/anim_myscriptpalm.gif
    http://www.vision-objects.com/rubriq...?id_rubrique=7

Then finally there is also RitePen which is supposed to have a palmos version as well:

http://www.evernote.com/en/products/ritepen/

Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    HUH?!?! Sheesh guys... just use Graffiti Anywhere which is a Freeware app and works great. Do a search and you'll find it...

Furthermore, if you want true handwriting recog, there are various apps like decuma and myscript among others...

decuma work on treo? This is the first time I heard it.
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    I wish someone can help me with that one.

i have decuma on my T3 and was wondering if it will work on 650?

thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Boobookins
    I had 2 Newtons. The very first one they introduced (which I was lucky enough to get new for $250CDN at a time when they were retailing for a $1000CDN as part of program Apple for resellers) and then later I had a Newton 120 which was much improved, but yes, big. (In fact carrying the Newton in an inside suit jacket gave me a neck kink and made me understand why shoulder holsters have counter weights on the other side.) I'm sad that I no longer have either.

I'm very looking forward to a thumb keyboard and am hoping that I can use it fast enough to jot down ideas and maybe even make notes in meetings, but I'll likely continue to explore handwriting recognition software. (I did learn Graphiti on my Palm V but was never very proficient.)

I felt the same way about my old Radio Shack/Tandy 100. Check this out:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...738923804&rd=1

If thats not the right model, there are a lot of others there as well!
    Quote Originally Posted by suskind
    decuma work on treo? This is the first time I heard it.
    Quote Originally Posted by faisal

thanks

Well according to the description:

The software is compatible with most Palm OS 5 devices with a high resolution display.
    http://palmgear.com/index.cfm?fuseac...1&prodID=53754

It wouldn't work on the Treo 600 b/c it was a low rez display, but it should work on the T650 unless there's some major NVFS incompatibilty (i.e, it doesn't list the T5 as officially compatible either)...

Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    i just installed it and my unit resets.. I dont think it will work.

If someone trys and succeeds please let me know
    Is there anyway to do shortcuts without clicking on the menu bars or using handwriting?
    Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    I used my 2k up until the Treo 600.

Andy
    is there a handwriting recognition software that integrates email?

that I can handwrite emails?
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    Yeah, an app to soft reset. That doesn't much help when the Palm is frozen, does it?

I'd prefer a keyboard shortcut. Taking off the back panel to poke a hole is getting tiresome. Maybe I'll just drill a hole back there...
    Quote Originally Posted by clevewaterman
    Sorry, meant to say "switched the Clie from G2 to G1".
    I was able to switch my Treo 600 to Grafitti 1, which is far superior to 2. However, I'm lost so far as to how to do it for my 650. If you find out how to do it, I'd sure be interesting in doing it myself. I hope someone figures out how to do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by faisal

thanks
    I tried Decuma on my 650, but every time I tried to launch it I got a reset. I'm trying MyScript now, which I was able to successfully launch. However, I'm not to fond of the way the printed version of the letter flashes on the top line of the screen before it is entered below in the application you're working in. I still prefer the way Grafitti 1 worked on my 600, which is far better for me than any other program I've tried. Yes, I want my Grafitti 1 back, and I'd give up the keyboard without a nanoseconds hesitation, preferring more screen real estate instead and a Grafitti area of old. That would be my fondest hope, but I'm afraid the keyboarders vastly outnumber those with my preferences. So it goes...
    I tried the procedure for changing G2 to G1 on my 650 and it doesn't work. Probably the only way to do it on the 650 would be with a custom ROM. The files are available in this thread (see post #3)

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=40199

shadowmite, custom ROM with original graffiti?
    h-e-e-l-l-o ...: handwriting emails? any software available?
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beelzebueb
    h-e-e-l-l-o ...: handwriting emails? any software available?
    hey, relax there pardner. That kind of attitude will get you nowhere.

I'll cut you some slack though; it's the holidays.

Check out BugMe, you can email your doodlings:

http://www.electricpocket.com/bugme-palm/
    Quote Originally Posted by van3605
    Seems very inconvienent if I already have the stylist out to have to put it down and use both hands on the thumbboard to type even the beginning few characters to find a contact to call.
    I have yet to even think about using the stylus to make a phone call.. it's a phone, you should be able to make phone calls one handed.. that's why they put the keyboard on it.

Try putting the stylus away, and just not using it for a day.. you will soon discover you don't even need it for 90% of the stuff that comes with the box.

The only time i get out the stylus is to play bejewled
    Well, I've grown used to the 5 way, and dont NEED the stylus but I sometimes use it to enter passwords.

About the hard reset, it really stuns me that it is such a problem that people are complaining about having to remove the case and batter cover and use the stylus to reset... In other words, WHY do our Treos freeze up so much? I'm seriously thinking about returning mine if I dont get some good news/official updates SOON!
    Can an intelligence create another intelligence more intelligent than itself? Are we more intelligent than the evolutionary process that created us? In turn, will the intelligence that we are creating come to exceed that of its creator?

[ Treo 650 on Sprint ]
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12