1.    #1  
    looks like too many problems getting a 650. if this is the price to pay for loyality, then I'm out of P1.

local dealer here just confirmed that the MPx will be available mid-Jan, probably around the same time as the 650 GSM.

dont like MS 2003 OS too much, but its the Second Edition and the MPx provides compact design, wi-fi, lots of innovations ...

am sad to leave this new treo, really wanted to get it, but reading of all those issues ... P1 never heard of QC?!
    Last I read the MPX also had only 32mb of RAM, which on PocketPC is definitely not enough. (I know I have an iPaq right now with 64mb and I still use a SD to load some software.) Unless they fix/change that on the MPX you're likely to be as if not more frustrated than you would be with a 650.
    Oh, so they have internet on computers now!
    --Treo 650 unlocked/unbranded with Rogers
  3.    #3  
    reviews so far confirm pretty comfortable multitasking with the MPx's setup. am not too worried about the speed. meaning if Motorola delays a phone for nearly a year after announcement they did the necessary fine tuning. but am more than glad to get back to you on this RAM issue!
    Did they say they're getting the MPx? What carrier is it? Thanks.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
  5.    #5  
    rodolfo - this is here in Asia - will be an unlocked GSM - I heard the MPx will first arrive in Asia - the only negative of the MPX: not the 320x320 screen of the 650. but then again one can "landscape".

and over voice control and easy menu handling its possible to use the MPx as a phone without opening it. seems to combine the good virtues of many smartphones.
    Quote Originally Posted by beelzebueb
    reviews so far confirm pretty comfortable multitasking with the MPx's setup. am not too worried about the speed. meaning if Motorola delays a phone for nearly a year after announcement they did the necessary fine tuning. but am more than glad to get back to you on this RAM issue!
    Well I may take a second look myself at the MPX. If you get one and find it quite usable please post. I seriously considered the MPX when I started my all-in-one hunt a couple of months ago (along with the Nokia 9500 and Sony Ericsson 910) but somewhere along the way I settled on the 650 as the best choice. I do really like the MPX form factor. A very Clever design.
    I have looked at ms phones very seriously ever since they started coming out, and have even considered one of the huge ppc phone/pda's, especially now that I am so unhappy with the 650... but I just can't get over the crappy, ill-conceived, anti-user mess that are all MS PDA OSs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boobookins
    Last I read the MPX also had only 32mb of RAM, which on PocketPC is definitely not enough. (I know I have an iPaq right now with 64mb and I still use a SD to load some software.) Unless they fix/change that on the MPX you're likely to be as if not more frustrated than you would be with a 650.
    That is correct. Here is the breakdown as reported from Mobius 2004 just held last weekend in Seattle:

How does the RAM break down? On the demo unit I saw, 23.79 MB of of the 32 MB is useable after a soft reset with 1.19 MB in use for storage, and 10.17 MB in use by programs. I'll do the math for you: that's only 4.37 MB free for storage and 8.06 MB free for programs. I was shocked by the 10.17 MB of RAM in use after a soft reset with no other software running.

<snip>

I'm fully aware that Motorola wasn't aiming at the power user market, and are instead focusing on communications, but given the amount of RAM space Pocket Inbox, Pocket Internet Explorer, and all the other communication apps need just for "slack" (temporary files, etc.) 32 MB is absolutely insufficient. It's a shame, because the hardware is the most innovative thing we've seen so far on the Windows Mobile platform - but with the current memory configuration, this device will be a colossal flop.
    http://pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/v...ght=mpx+mobius

The real bomb, in my opinion, were the details he provided about the upcoming Motorola MPx Phone Edition device. It will be launched at the end of this year in Southeast Asia and then other countries (this is good news finally), but the device will only have 32 MB of RAM! Plus, as you can see in the screenshot I took of a working device, there is actually only 23.79 MB available. I don't care if most users never add a single third-party application, that is still way too low for a device in today's market.
    http://geek.com/news/geeknews/2004De...1206028132.htm

http://geek.com/images/features/mobi...obius20047.jpg

This might be hard to believe to all those ranting and spewing about the NVFS of the Treo 650, but the MpX actually has LESS RAM than the Treo 650!! Plus this is on a WM device that supposedly is able to multitask and run WM apps! LOL! Umm... I seriously doubt anyone will be able to do any serious multitasking with only 10.17 MB of Ram!

Good luck with the MpX!

If you really want a WM pdaphone, then you would be much wiser to go with the MDAII, PDA2k, harrier etc...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    This might be hard to believe to all those ranting and spewing about the NVFS of the Treo 650, but the MpX actually has LESS RAM than the Treo 650!! Plus this is on a WM device that supposedly is able to multitask and run WM apps! LOL! Umm... I seriously doubt anyone will be able to do any serious multitasking with only 10.17 MB of Ram!

Good luck with the MpX!

If you really want a WM pdaphone, then you would be much wiser to go with the MDAII, PDA2k, harrier etc...
    Ya, that's what I remember reading. (I couldn't remember when/where so thanks gfunk for posting links and actual numbers.) The one rumour I later read (and again I can't remember where so take it for what it's worth) is that the recent delay in the release of the MPX was specifically so Motorola could outfit the MPX with more memory, although the new number quoted was 48mb which is still pretty slim by PocketPC standards. (Of course numbers don't matter if it runs. At first I was seriously concerned about the 650's memory until a good friend told me he was getting by just fine with a 16mb Clie.)

I don't like the PDA2k form factor. It's that big PocketPC brick design that I'd like to get away from at this point, which is why I first drooled over the MPX until I read about the memory issue.
    Thanks Beelzebueb, I didn't know there was another city of angels. I'm looking forward to the MPx myself. AfroCreame's video captured me a while ago.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    I do really like the MPX form factor. A very Clever design.
    Maybe it's me but I just don't get it. The hinge design may seem interesting at the first glance, but I wonder it will last. Does this mean that every time you want to use the keyboard, you have to turn the screen around and go landscape mode???

Seems cumbersome to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome
    Maybe it's me but I just don't get it. The hinge design may seem interesting at the first glance, but I wonder it will last. Does this mean that every time you want to use the keyboard, you have to turn the screen around and go landscape mode???

Seems cumbersome to me.
    There's no turning -it's not a tablet style. All you do is open it -vertically for phone, horizontally for typing. Simple, logical. Of course, I've never used one -just seems easy and cool in the video I've seen here.
    As a long time Pocket PC user, I can definitely say that 12MB of available total memory is useless for anything other than running the built in apps, i.e., email and Pocket IE. As with Palm, many PocketPC apps require installation in main memory and won't work properly on a storage card. Many other apps that get installed to storage cards often can still put additional DLLs in main memory. Not matter how much you put on storage cards, main memory can get eaten up quickly. Only apps that install nothing to main memory (like games, that sort of thing) will be able to be installed in bulk. If the MPX truely had 32MB of main memory available, you can get by. But it starts with only 23MB (a la Treo 650) and loses another 10MB for phone functions. That's what kills the MPX IMO.
    The one rumour I later read (and again I can't remember where so take it for what it's worth) is that the recent delay in the release of the MPX was specifically so Motorola could outfit the MPX with more memory, although the new number quoted was 48mb which is still pretty slim by PocketPC standards.

Yeah, I read that too...but it now seems that will not happen and the available Ram will definitely be only 32 MB. At least it has 40MB+ space for the Nand file store though...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Well, the grass is always greener...

I'm trying a Sprint Treo 650 right now and I think it's way better than people on these boards are saying, the memory is not as bad as people are giving the impression of, and it's been reasonably stable. Beautiful screen, Bluetooth with the exception I haven't done enough testing of headsets yet, and extremely fast for web browsing.

If you think the MPx is going to appear and not have similar or worse issues you are dreaming. I got the T-Mobile PPC Phone Edition and when it came and man let me tell you that Pocket PC is not an OS you want on a phone unless all you are going to do is web browsing. Don't pass judgement on a 650 until you try it.

Here's an example of the detailed thought that obviously went into it. On my 600 listening with left ear was OK. Using the right was OK, but the antenna would touch my upper right ear. On the 650 the antenna is not only a little smaller but the front if angled back so when using it on the right side it doesn't touch the right ear. That sort of thing isn't an accident, someone thought about it and fixed it. Lots of other little details like that you don't see people here posting about.

Quote Originally Posted by beelzebueb
    looks like too many problems getting a 650. if this is the price to pay for loyality, then I'm out of P1.

local dealer here just confirmed that the MPx will be available mid-Jan, probably around the same time as the 650 GSM.

dont like MS 2003 OS too much, but its the Second Edition and the MPx provides compact design, wi-fi, lots of innovations ...

am sad to leave this new treo, really wanted to get it, but reading of all those issues ... P1 never heard of QC?!
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis
    Here's an example of the detailed thought that obviously went into it. On my 600 listening with left ear was OK. Using the right was OK, but the antenna would touch my upper right ear. On the 650 the antenna is not only a little smaller but the front if angled back so when using it on the right side it doesn't touch the right ear. That sort of thing isn't an accident, someone thought about it and fixed it. Lots of other little details like that you don't see people here posting about.
    Actually, a Treo without any antenna at all would kick a$$
    Any Word Of Other Full Qwerty Keyboard Palm-based Smartphones? Like A New Tungsten W?
    HANDWOUND TREO

SHARP CALCULATOR>SHARP ORGANIZERS>PALM PILOT>PALM Vs>SONY CLIE>BLACKBERRY>SONY UX50>TUNGSTEN C & W>TREO 600>TREO650