1.    #1  
    For those of you who have jumped ship from GSM to Sprint, can you tell me what your experience has been with the Sprint Treo 650?
    So far so good. 2,000 minute plan with PCS Vision included for $100.00/month
    What info are you looking for? Not decided yet on voice quality, coverage will vary depending on your area, data access much much. Blazer is very usable for web access with the increased resolution and faster data access.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    I live in northern CA and found a website that rated the carriers. Sprint scored higher in every category, then what was my carrier for 4 yrs., Cingular.

I love my 650.

Sprint has worked very well. From phone coverage, to internet. Customer service finds you getting different stories, depending on who you talk to. But, isn't that the case for most of the customer service departments for the various carriers?
  5.    #5  
    I'm not a mobile phone guru, but it sounds like the Sprint service is pretty good. Is the GSM Treo going to do something the CDMA Treo won't do? I understand coverage varies, but what about data speed, sound quality, reliability, etc.? Why am I waiting for the GSM version?

Wade
    The only complaint I've got about the Sprint service is the lag time on an internet connection. 2000-2500 ms is fairly common - makes browsing a somewhat tedious affair.

tdh
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wadeemmert
    Is the GSM Treo going to do something the CDMA Treo won't do?
    I have always been a Sprint user, but I've read that GSM handles incoming calls differently than CDMA when you have an open data connection. For instance, one could send the caller straight to voicemail while you are using Blazer and you might never get a notification of the call. Voicemail notifications and SMS should always get through. I'm not certain about the details though.

Practically speaking, I haven't had too much of a problem with this on Sprint.
    Last edited by dpuza; 12/06/2004 at 11:04 PM.
    GSM offers the flexibility of changing carriers simply by using a SIM card from the carrier. In addition much of the world outside the U.S. used GSM so you can use your phone in most of the world. That is the big advantage.

In theory CDMA can offer clearer voice signals, but the reality is heavily dependent upon towers, terrain, etc..

GSM data speeds are somewhat slower than CDMA. However, a voice call can go through to a GSM handset as long as it's not actively sending or receiving data meaning less chance of getting voicemail when using data services.

Quote Originally Posted by wadeemmert
    I'm not a mobile phone guru, but it sounds like the Sprint service is pretty good. Is the GSM Treo going to do something the CDMA Treo won't do? I understand coverage varies, but what about data speed, sound quality, reliability, etc.? Why am I waiting for the GSM version?

Wade
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis
    GSM data speeds are somewhat slower than CDMA. However, a voice call can go through to a GSM handset as long as it's not actively sending or receiving data meaning less chance of getting voicemail when using data services.
    CDMA calls will go through as well as long as you are not actively sending or receiving data. At this point in time, most CDMA and GSM phones are equal when it comes to getting your calls - you can't get them on either network while you are actively transferring data, you can when you are not transfering such as when blazer has finished loading a page.

There are some GSM phones at this point which have two seperate channels, one for voice and one for data, allowing one to receive a call while data is being transferred but the Treo 650 is not one of them. As far as I know there are very few of those phones.
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    One huge advantage to me of having a GSM phone / service is that you can have multiple phones and put the SIM card into whatever one you want to use at a given time. That way, you can use a cheap phone when you don't want to take your Treo or a camera phone when not at work (if you're able to get a Treo without camera for work), etc., etc.

Once I got used to this flexibility, I'm not going back to Sprint or to Verizon.
  11.    #11  
    Sounds like the only real advantages to GSM are the SIM card and the fact that GSM is used globally. All things being equal, CDMA offers better voice quality and data speeds.
    GSM radios are serious RFI sources. Not even close to a CDMA phone.

In our recording studios we have to shut off (OFF NOT JUST MUTE) GSM phones in the control rooms. They add audible pulses to the audio. Even when not on a call, they send out polling transmissions. You can hear that you are going to get a call before the phone even rings. Try this with your computer speakers, if they are amplified. A cdma phone wont do this. I can set my sprint phone on top of the recording console and receive a speaker phone call without messing up the audio.
    Quote Originally Posted by dpuza
    I have always been a Sprint user, but I've read that GSM handles incoming calls differently than CDMA when you have an open data connection. For instance, one could send the caller straight to voicemail while you are using Blazer and you might never get a notification of the call. Voicemail notifications and SMS should always get through. I'm not certain about the details though.

Practically speaking, I haven't had too much of a problem with this on Sprint.
    Nor have I. Notifications of SMS or Voicemail have always gone through for me, even while browsing the web.
    Quote Originally Posted by broxman
    One huge advantage to me of having a GSM phone / service is that you can have multiple phones and put the SIM card into whatever one you want to use at a given time. That way, you can use a cheap phone when you don't want to take your Treo or a camera phone when not at work (if you're able to get a Treo without camera for work), etc., etc.

Once I got used to this flexibility, I'm not going back to Sprint or to Verizon.
    The advantage has its drawbacks, too. Say for example, you have your GSM phone with the SIM card, and you leave it some where, and as a result, it ends up disappearing.

Now, you have may other phones, but no SIM card to use them with. If you're travelling or if it's late at night, you're screwed until you can find an open store that can provide you with a new SIM card (probably for a fee).

On the other hand, if I lose my Treo (and boy will I be pissed if I do), I can still go and find my old phone sitting in a drawer at home, call Sprint customer service even when the stores are closed, and have my old phone up and running again in minutes. After filing my insurance claim, of course.