Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    oh yes they are oh so generous. especially since they waited till the market value is about $1.95

http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000200022691/

that totally makes up for all the crap ive had to deal with already including being on Treo 650 # 2 as of later today.
    Global Posts
    201 Global Posts
    sounds like you should sell it and get something better. not being a wise a$$ either - if you're on unit number 2 and still not liking it, why go through further torture?
    1st SFG (A)

if at first you don't succeed - RELOAD!
    I think the mistake they made was in including only 32mb of memory. If the treo had 64, we wouldn't be complaining as much. Having said that, a 128mb card more than makes up for the memory loss from the new file system. So I think the card is a reasonable gesture. They need to include a program like zlauncher though so you can actually use the extra memory.
    wahili, I came across that deal the other day and had the same thought. Interestingly enough, the memory issue is the least of my concerns with the 650. With my two weeks of play-time with the 600 (was a replacement for my wife's broken Treo 300), I got spoiled by the overall feel of it. I find the 650 to be chock full of steps backward in usability as compared to the 600. I think I'll be returning my 650, but boy will I miss that gorgeous screen and the improved, now somewhat useful, camera.

Scott
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    I find the 650 to be chock full of steps backward in usability as compared to the 600. I think I'll be returning my 650, but boy will I miss that gorgeous screen and the improved, now somewhat useful, camera.
    Scott
    That is scary coming from someone like yourself who has been around for a while!

What bothered you most?

-rob
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    Quote Originally Posted by robber
    That is scary coming from someone like yourself who has been around for a while!

What bothered you most?

-rob
    I still haven't made up my mind completely. I'm going to try out SnapperMail to see if the Vision dropping and VersaMail auto-fetch problems might be the fault of VersaMail. Note, also, that I'm extremely anal-retentive and strongly opinionated about usability issues and while I can get extremely upset about the fact that something as "minor" as a D-Pad that doesn't feel as good to me as the 600's, many other people (as demonstrated by reading this forum) could care less or might even prefer the 650's D-Pad.

Nevertheless, if you want to know more about what I personally dislike, see the thread I started here a while ago:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=63694

Scott
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Quote Originally Posted by wahili
    oh yes they are oh so generous. especially since they waited till the market value is about $1.95

http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000200022691/

that totally makes up for all the crap ive had to deal with already including being on Treo 650 # 2 as of later today.
    Being real conservative, let's say the cards cost $2 apiece and P1 sends out 2000 of them. That's $4000 or the equal of 8 Treo 650s they are giving away. I suspect the cost to P1 (128MB cards probably cost a little more than $2 apiece, they will probably send out more than 2000 and with shipping costs too) will be a lot higher than $4,000. And on top of that, they are still going to try and fix the problem, inciting unbudgeted development costs. The programmers' time isn't free, people. If they do fix or reduce the problem, the 128MB cards are basically free givaways.

So I'm not sure why everyone thinks this is some shallow gesture by P1. Final costs, parts, labor, shipping and development to correct this could exceed well over $100,000 or more - not chicken feed, even for P1. They could have simply said they'll try and fix the memory issue and leave it at that. Those 128MB cards are more than any other company has given away when their PDA had bugs. When people complained about how my iPaq 4700 had only 64MB of memory when its predecessor had 128, where was HP's free 128MB cards? Let's look at the big picture...
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    what i dont like about p1 is saying they still act like they didnt know about this problem before they shipped. i mean cmon, no one at palm loaded any apps on their treo 650 during debuggin? no one had 2000-3000 contacts and noticed their memory was really low? thats all im saying.

p1 was treating you and me alike as they did in those Klondike bar commercials. what would you do for a treo 650? would you hop one one foot? would you bark like a dog? would you kill a man?

they kept all their specs a secret because they knew that it may not be so great to announce a .3 megapixel cam and a 23mb useable and yet they STILL released a phone with very serious memory issues. is that really acceptable in todays technology marketplace?

that being said, i am going to stick it out until this "fix" comes out. i have a 1gb card in the meantime... however, next year i wont blindly upgrade. i still dont think theres anything better out right now overall and my current 650 is working well and hasnt reset yet.

only time will tell but i think my next pda will be running linux.
    Quote Originally Posted by wahili
    p1 was treating you and me alike as they did in those Klondike bar commercials. what would you do for a treo 650? would you hop one one foot? would you bark like a dog? would you kill a man?

I like that analogy. A strong one!

-rob
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2