1.    #1  
    I've been experiencing what appears to be a spontaneous wireless-mode shutoff issue with my GSM Treo 600. PalmOne support had diagnosed it as a hardware issue and sent me a new replacement unit. However, the new 600 is experiencing the same thing. I'm beginning to think it's got something to do with some software I've installed since I figure the odds of two units having this EXACT SAME obscure problem are pretty slim.

Basically, this problem occurs two different ways: (1) When I try to place a phone call (either using speed dial or the phone pad) or (2) out of the clear blue. I hear the Treo "shutting off the phone" chime. It is an intermittent problem that happens about about an average of about twice per week of light phone usage (less than 10 calls per day). It's happened twice since I received the new unit 4 days ago.

Anyone else seen this? Any idea what software might be causing it? I don't have any add-on third-party software installed that tweaks the phone as far as I can tell. I've got a couple games, PTunes, some image viewers. Nothing that I could think of that would be messing with the phone power. My next move is probably going to be to do a hard-reset and live a week or two without my data and see if that clears things up.
    There is an abundance of threads dealing with this issue and hardware or software issues are possible. But I had a different experience and you may want to try this approach. I had this problem for the first time last week after almost a year of use. After I struggled a bit with a couple of hard reset and uninstalling applications I realized that it started after I took out the SIM to show it to my brother. I then took it out again, wiped the contacts clean and put it back. The problem has not happened again since then. You may want to think about replacing the SIM if the problem does not go away.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by kreka
    There is an abundance of threads dealing with this issue and hardware or software issues are possible.
    Hmmm... I couldn't manage to put together some meaningful search terms that yielded results similar to what I saw. Lots of spontaneous resets but no wireless power-offs.

But I had a different experience and you may want to try this approach. I had this problem for the first time last week after almost a year of use. After I struggled a bit with a couple of hard reset and uninstalling applications I realized that it started after I took out the SIM to show it to my brother. I then took it out again, wiped the contacts clean and put it back. The problem has not happened again since then. You may want to think about replacing the SIM if the problem does not go away.
    I think you're right about it being a SIM issue. By coincidence, on my way home from work today, I had another wireless-mode shutoff. However, this time, when I tried to turn the wireless on, I got an error message saying to check the SIM. I had never got the 'check SIM' message before, and the more I thought about it, it made sense that it might be a physical problem with the SIM -- if you remove the SIM with the phone on, the phone shuts itself down and sounds the chimes just like what happens with my 'spontaneous' shutdown.

I wiped the contacts on the SIM and the 'check SIM' message went away. Given this new evidence, and the fact that the problem has started happening on a completely new phone from day one, it's just GOT to be the SIM. If it happens any more, I'll call T-Mo and get the SIM replaced.

Thanks for the info!