Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Engadget is reporting on the possible sound quality issues of the 650 that have been discussed right here at Treocentral. I wonder if this story will get wider coverage and further hurt sales?

http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000100022690/

How real is this issue anyway? I've read some threads about it and it doesn't appear to be consistent, with some users saying the sound quality is better than their 600 and others reporting a real problem. (I'm still waiting for a GSM model which will be my first Treo so I can't comment personally.)
    Oh, so they have internet on computers now!
    --Treo 650 unlocked/unbranded with Rogers
    Th i sue is v ery r al b ca se y u can ot h ar w a the ot er p rs n is s yi g.

Try holding a conversation that sounds like that. Frustrating is just the tip of the iceberg. Its completely unacceptable on any phone, much less a $600 device. P1, can you hear us NOW?

I'm glad to see this issue is making it into places besides TC. P1 needs to feel the heat for this and offer a solution ASAP. Its going to result in me pissing off my customers b/c they can't stand talking with me on this phone.
    Last edited by ericshmerick; 12/06/2004 at 03:10 PM.
    I've had my 650 for a few weeks... no sound quality issues at all... I actually always make a conscious decision to ask whoever I'm talking to how I sound... they say it's fine - no different than my old phone ... I DO have Bluetooth sound quality issues... if the phone is in line of sight there is no problem - but tons of static if it's in my leather jacket pocket... annoying...
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    yeah theyll offer a solution alright. buy the treo 700 when it comes out.
    My friend is the only person that has a problem speaking to me. He says i am cutting out constantly. Everyone else says I sound great. I can't figure out why he is the only one having the problem.

"Age is only a number society has inflicted upon us to number our days on Earth."
    ~Stephen Todd
    Quote Originally Posted by treo650luvr
    My friend is the only person that has a problem speaking to me. He says i am cutting out constantly. Everyone else says I sound great. I can't figure out why he is the only one having the problem.
    Because he is the only one honest enough to tell you that you have spent hundereds of $$$ for a phone that does not work...

I want to be funny but this is a serious issue! This WILL kill the deal for me if the GSM phones have the same issue!
    My feeling is that this is not a functional issue - but rather a defect issue. Has anyone sent in their 650 for a replacement that had this problem and received one that worked better or the same?

I've had my 650 for a couple weeks now, and I've asked over and over again about how I sound and have had no complaints. I've also done the usual tests with voicemail recordings and I sound perfectly fine. So either I have a defective phone or everyone else does that reports this issue.

Someone please post their experience with a replacment 650 who had this problem so we can move on.
    Quote Originally Posted by treotim
    My feeling is that this is not a functional issue - but rather a defect issue.
    My feeling is the oppisate:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=64975
    I've never had anyone tell me they have problems hearing me in almost 2 weeks of use. Quite the opposite-both handset and speakerphone sound better than the 600.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    When I first got my T650 I asked people how I sounded and they all said the same as I did before. My T650 even works in areas my previous phone didn't.

I do have the bluetooth static issue...makes it all but useless. But the phone is fine.
    Wow, I'm glad to see these posts that say the voice quality is fine. May I ask, when did you get your phone and is it a rev. B phone or something? I got mine the day they were released on Sprint (ordered from telesales). Hopefully, mine is from a bad batch of first-run phones, but I really doubt it. I just think they cut costs on the mic.
    I have some sound quality issues. I just haven't figured out the extent yet and what conditions make it worse. (So far two complaints) Will report back with further testing.
    I have not had any sound issues and I have called left myself messages in different environments. I got my 650 on the 12/1 when my local store received their first shipment in. Maybe it could be a batch issue, I don't know.
    hw version A...bought first day available from sprint. no probs with voice at all.
    No sound quality problems with my 650 (which came from the shipment that went to Fry's). I've tried using the 650 to leave voice messages, and then listening to the messages from other phones; the msgs sounded fine. hw version A, software version 1.03.
    how do you check versions because I am on my second treo and I am still experiencing this cut out I am seriously about to break this thing
    Quote Originally Posted by ToroA
    how do you check versions because I am on my second treo and I am still experiencing this cut out I am seriously about to break this thing
    1. Go into the phone app. dial ##786 hit dial

2. Go into the phone app. Go to options>Phone info
    My 650 mic is terrible. Sometimes it echoes. Sometimes it sounds digitized (on the other end.) Sometimes it sounds like I'm in a tunnel (on the other end.) And that's if I'm in a quiet environment. If there's any background noise it's unuseable - the other party hears the background noise more than they hear me. Also, the ear speaker makes tiny pops while listening even at low volume. FWIW, I bought it on the first day Sprint had them available on the Internet.
    Steve, I am having the exact issues you describe. This is far from a coinsedence (sp, on treo). P1, is this the feedback you want from customers? I sure hope you address this issue and offer a solution. The sound quality is unacceptable.
  20.    #20  
    I wonder if it's manufacturing defect. (The fact that it doesn't seem to affect everyone's 650 indicates that it's not an across the board problem of a poor quality component, but more likely a poorly connected mic, assuming this is a hardware problem.) I hope between P1 checking here, and the exposure through Engadget P1 can identify this problem and fix it. (Often with manufactured goods it can take a little time to tweak the assembly line and reduce the defect rate.)
    Oh, so they have internet on computers now!
    --Treo 650 unlocked/unbranded with Rogers
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast