Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I purchased my Treo 650 last Wednesday (12/08) and wanted to relay some successes, failures, and other general information I've collected. My previous phone was a Samsung SPH-I300. My overall impression of the Treo 650 is that it is a great phone and a great PDA, but there are a number of bugs that need to be ironed out still. Particularly by PalmOne and also some of the software developers.

When I called up Sprint to switch to the new phone, the process went very smoothly. The phone was provisioned for voice calls within an hour. However, I had many troubles trying to get onto the data network. I called back that evening and was told that data service provisioning could take up to 12 hours. So I went to bed and waited till morning. Morning came and it was still a nogo. Calling Sprint I was immediately given a phone number for "Tier 2" technical support. Called from another phone (figured I'd end up having to soft-reset at the very least) and had someone helping me almost immediately again. We walked through some things, and ended up having to hard reset the phone. After that I was able to finish provisioning on the data network and all was well.

The hard reset seemed to fix a number of other problems as well. I was now able to use BlueTooth to sync my 650. For some reason there were no HotSync profiles when I first had the device. My suggestion for new purchasers is to do a hard reset before doing anything else with the phone. It will only save potential headaches.

As I mentioned, I'm using Linux with my Treo 650. I do not use Windows or Mac. There are some things that are just a bit more difficult to do on Linux, but I have found that so far there is nothing I can't do. I'll mention a few bullets here:

• HotSync (cable) under Linux: For some reason I cannot get the HotSync cable to work. Any insight into that would be great. For some reason it just not show up as a USB device, let alone have any drivers.
    • HotSync (BlueTooth): To get this to work, you will need to follow the directions here:

http://howto.pilot-link.org/bluesync/index.html

If you read each step, and follow them to a T, you will get BlueTooth HotSync working in no time.
    • Installed Apps: Here's a list of installed apps that I currently have on my 650. I'll try and leave a couple notes about them and mention any problems I've noticed. As my I300 was running PalmOS 3.5, I am overwhelmed by the amount of cool software that is available for newer and higher resolution devices.
    • Syncing in general: At the very least you will want to use pilot-xfer. GNOME gnome-pilot doesn't seem to want to work with a PPP hotsync connection, and I haven't tried out KDE's kpilot yet. pilot-xfer is your friend.

Some apps I have installed and some notes about them.

• ZLauncher: I am very impressed by the crack induced eye candy of this program. Not only being able to make my Treo look how I want it to, I can see more on the screen at one time, organize my applications better, and even move things completely off to a SD Card. I highly recommend this program, as many others have before me. Thanks to all who had high praises of this application.
    • Datebk5: This is a great addition to already enhanced (compared to the I300) PIM Apps. I'm still learning what it can do, but let me just say that it is well worth the money. The only thing I wish it did is use the Location field of the existing Databook database. I'll be sending mail to Pimlico soon with features I'd like to see.
    • Holidays: Great FREE program for keeping track of holidays, anniversaries, etc. The only problem I have with it is that after updating the calendar database, the screen will lock for touch input. A soft reset fixes the problem, but it is annoying.
    • VersaMail: Not sure if I like this program or not. I'm leaning more to not. It has a decent interface, and I'm glad it supports SSL IMAP. It is just not stable or efficient at all. I trimmed my inbox down from 2,000 messages to 20 so I could start doing some email from the phone when I need to. Well, it seems that most of the time, the first attempt to get new mail fails to connect after an incredibly long timeout period. A second attempt normally connects right away, and fetches the new messages, etc. To me that is completely stupid and it would be nice if it didn't do that.

Second, it has caused a soft-reset of the phone a number of times. I see no reason for it to do that. It be nice if there were some way to catch these kind of immediate soft resets so we could report an error message or something.

I think I may try out SnapperMail and see how that goes. I've read good things about both apps, so hopefully they both don't lack in different areas.
    • Butler: This is a must have. Even if the only feature you use is turning off the stupid blinking green LED when the phone is on, then it's worth it. Would be nice if it were FREE and OpenSource, but other than that it's great.
    • Tricorder: As we all know this is a must have for any Palm device. You have to be able to scan people you meet to find out their composition and if their fecal matter will interfere with your turbine. If you don't know what I'm talking about, you're missing out.
    • AIM Client: I am not liking the web interface for the AIM client. 1) It is not interactive like I would prefer, or like what I've seen on a Sidekick. Second, I had to use Butler to intercept the SMS notification popup every time someone sends me a message. I really don't like that, and it would be nice if I can specify what kinds of SMS messages I would receive notification for. I've seen people talk about using the AOL branded client, but that costs $20. (Or is there a free one somewhere? I'm not finding it.) So there is improvement in that arena, that's for sure.
    • Blazer: Seems like a good enough app for some browsing in the palm of your hand. Works well enough, and I can use it to access our web content management systems in a pinch. It is slower than my cable modem, but good enough in a pinch.
    • pssh: This seems to be a decent ssh client for PalmOS. I do get a message saying my random number generator is a piece of junk and that I will be somewhat insecure. Anyway to improve the encryption on this device would be great to know about. It has the CPU to do it.

A few other apps installed, TipTap, HandyShopper, Timesheet, Minibar and TC-Areacodes. The last two I'd consider to be must haves since they are free and can be very useful.

I have a number of games and such installed too. As I install them I test them out and remove the ones that cause instant soft-resets. It does seem to me that if an app that has been launched from the SD Card crashes, the error is caught and no reset occurs. I'm not sure if that is a regular thing yet or not. Only time will tell.

To close this, as I've already written a lot, I'm extremely happy that I got my Treo 650. PalmOne still has some issues to work out, and I think a few apps still need to have some bugs fixed. Overall everyone who doesn't have a 650 should get one right now. I bought mine at a Sprint Store in Indianapolis, IN, so you can get them in stores now. I still may play with the DUN hack at some point, or I may just wait for an OS update.

Thanks for listening and any advice any of you have would be great.

Thanks,
    -Chris
    Global Posts
    327 Global Posts
    I know for my Treo 300, I need 2.6.9 (i.e. the latest released kernel) for it to be able to sync over usb. Possibly the 650 does things a bit different, so there will need to be another patch.
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisdeckard
    [*]HotSync (cable) under Linux: For some reason I cannot get the HotSync cable to work. Any insight into that would be great. For some reason it just not show up as a USB device, let alone have any drivers.
    I'm able to sync successfully over USB, using an unmodified 2.6.9 kernel... dunno the minimum compatible version, tho. The driver (visor.ko) is normally loaded automagically, assuming that you have hotplug installed (and the driver was enabled in your kernel build, etc.). If this isn't occurring, try running "modprobe visor" (as root) before attempting to sync.

Your Treo 650 won't show up as a USB device until you actually press the hotsync button on the cable. This is how it was designed to work (don't ask me why), rather than a limitation of Linux itself.
    --
    "I'm too sexy for my code." - Awk Sed Fred
    I have also had success under a stock 2.6.9 kernel. If you tail /var/log/messages when you press the hotsync button, you should see messages about creating /dev/ttyUSB0 and /dev/ttyUSB1.

Here's more about how I got it to work:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=65243
    I am able to sync through USB and use DUN. I looked at the link from the BlueZ site but I still cannot get Bluetooth hotsyncing to work. The first problem is that the new hotsync profile doesn't appear on the modem side as noted in the documentation. The other problem is that whenver I attempt to sync with my laptop I get some error stating that the port is already in usage. Any insight is appreciated.
    -=mUnky=-

mUnkys.COM
    What flavor of linux are you trying to usb hotsync with?

L
    Te >T3 > T3 > Zod2 > Z72 > waiting for t650
    Gentoo, but that really shouldn't matter.
    -=mUnky=-

mUnkys.COM
    Using 2.8.x I had no trouble syncing with kpilot (once I determined the proper access). I would suggest making a symbolic link to dev/pilot to save trouble.

For all linux users I would suggest an investment in a media card reader!!!!

My question for everyone is have they accessed the cd on the software? It comes with some programs I am interested in using, but my question is it limited to some exe or mac format? or is it prc?
    Not sure, why not give wine a shot.
    -=mUnky=-

mUnkys.COM
    I have been unable to sync using kPilot. I am running SUSE 9.2 with a 2.6.8-24.5 kernel from SUSE. I can sync with jPilot just fine. I had no problems with my 600 and kPilot.
    Any KDE help much appreciated.
    Zane
    I have given up trying to use kPilot. I will just use jPilot and copy the calendar over to KOrganizer.
    Zane
    chrisdeckard,
    I have asked plaut on another thread and I will also ask you. Could you post a step-by-step process for doing the Bluetooth hotsync? I have confused myself completely trying to follow the instructions at www.pilot-link.org.
    Thanks,
    Zane
  13.    #13  
    Please see my post titled "Step By Step Instructions for HotSync over Bluetooth to Linux" in this thread:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=69112

-Chris
    I also have SuSE 9.2 / jpilot / Treo but no success yet..

I seem to have some sort of communication issue when the Treo tries
    to talk to USB....

Any clues would be greatly appreciated...

> uname -a
    Linux linux 2.6.8-24.10-default #1 Wed Dec 22 11:54:27 UTC 2004 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

jpilot set to sync on /dev/pilot

> ls -al /dev/pilot
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 12 2005-01-22 18:01 /dev/pilot -> /dev/ttyUSB1

less /etc/udev/permissions.d
    <snip>

ttyUSB*:root:uucp:0666
    usb/ttyUSB*:root:uucp:0666

<snip>

less of /var/log/messages on hitting the HotSync button on the Treo cable:

Jan 22 18:44:20 linux kernel: usb 2-1: new full speed USB device using address 8
    Jan 22 18:44:21 linux kernel: usb 2-1: device not accepting address 8, error -71
    Jan 22 18:44:21 linux kernel: usb 2-1: new full speed USB device using address 9
    Jan 22 18:44:21 linux kernel: usb 2-1: Product: Palm Handheld
    Jan 22 18:44:21 linux kernel: usb 2-1: Manufacturer: PalmOne, Inc.
    Jan 22 18:44:21 linux kernel: usb 2-1: SerialNumber: PalmSN12345678
    Jan 22 18:44:21 linux kernel: visor 2-1:1.0: Handspring Visor / Palm OS converter detected
    Jan 22 18:44:21 linux kernel: usb 2-1: Handspring Visor / Palm OS converter now attached to ttyUSB0
    Jan 22 18:44:21 linux kernel: usb 2-1: Handspring Visor / Palm OS converter now attached to ttyUSB1
    Jan 22 18:44:31 linux /etc/dev.d/tty/50-visor.dev[10743]: add tty device /class/tty/ttyUSB1
    Jan 22 18:44:31 linux /etc/dev.d/tty/50-visor.dev[10737]: add tty device /class/tty/ttyUSB0
    Jan 22 18:45:14 linux kernel: usb 2-1: control timeout on ep0in

Checking the permissions on the created device:
    > ls -al /dev/ttyUSB1
    crw-rw-rw- 1 root uucp 188, 1 2005-01-22 18:44 /dev/ttyUSB1

> pilot-xfer -p /dev/pilot -l

Listening to port: /dev/pilot

Please press the HotSync button now... (Then after about 30 seconds)
    Error accepting data on /dev/pilot
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    chrisdeckard ....
    I have my treo 650 working nicely w/Jpilot (and USB). Actually, I started with Evolution and then Kontact .. but found they were not as reliable of predictable as Jpilot.

I have found that JPilot does NOT have a category field in the Datebook/Calander application. Did you see that also? have you found a work-around?
    -Bob
    -Sprint Treo 650
  16. gaf
    I just acquired a TREO 650 to replace my M130. I'm running SuSE 9.2 with a 2.6.8-24.11 kernel and pilot-link version 0.11.8. I have verified that the visor module is loaded. I have tried jpilot as well as kpilot and pilot-xfer. (Note that below I tried both USB0 and USB1 after several attempts. I normally have no problem syncing my m130, but I need to load my databases onto the TREO.
    :~> pilot-xfer -p /dev/ttyUSB1 -l
    Listening to port: /dev/ttyUSB1
    Please press the HotSync button now...
    Error accepting data on /dev/ttyUSB1
    :~> pilot-xfer -p /dev/ttyUSB0 -l
    Listening to port: /dev/ttyUSB0
    Please press the HotSync button now...

I'm just looking for some clues.
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gaf
    I'm running SuSE 9.2 with a 2.6.8-24.11 kernel and pilot-link version 0.11.8. I have verified that the visor module is loaded.
    Did the visor module load automatically when you pressed the hotsync button on your 650 or did you have to load it manually? If the latter, then the module probably isn't registered to handle the 650. If it were, when you pressed the hotsync button the system logs (/var/log/messages) would contain lines like

usb 3-2: Handspring Visor / Palm OS converter now attached to ttyUSB0
    usb 3-2: Handspring Visor / Palm OS converter now attached to ttyUSB1

Otherwise, you may want to upgrade to the most recent kernel (2.6.10) which has built-in support for the 650. An alternative is to modify the visor module to recognize the 650 - see my post here for details.

When all is working, you should use /dev/ttyUSB1 as the port for pilot-xfer/jpilot/kpilot.
    Similar trouble here...

I modified visor.h and visor.c as suggested and recompiled. Still no go:
    Is the usb 2-1 vs. usb 3-2 difference significant?

Feb 13 09:25:26 linux kernel: usb 2-1: new full speed USB device using address 4
    Feb 13 09:25:26 linux kernel: usb 2-1: Product: Palm Handheld
    Feb 13 09:25:26 linux kernel: usb 2-1: Manufacturer: PalmOne, Inc.
    Feb 13 09:25:26 linux kernel: usb 2-1: SerialNumber: PalmSN12345678
    Feb 13 09:25:26 linux kernel: visor 2-1:1.0: Handspring Visor / Palm OS converte
    r detected
    Feb 13 09:25:27 linux kernel: usb 2-1: Handspring Visor / Palm OS converter now
    attached to ttyUSB0
    Feb 13 09:25:27 linux kernel: usb 2-1: Handspring Visor / Palm OS converter now
    attached to ttyUSB1
    Feb 13 09:25:37 linux /etc/dev.d/tty/50-visor.dev[11621]: add tty device /class/
    tty/ttyUSB0
    Feb 13 09:25:37 linux /etc/dev.d/tty/50-visor.dev[11622]: add tty device /class/
    tty/ttyUSB1
    Feb 13 09:25:52 linux kernel: usb 2-1: control timeout on ep0in
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nw_biohazard
    Similar trouble here...
    I'm no expert but the output you posted looks ok to me. Do you have read/write permission on /dev/ttyUSB0 and /dev/ttyUSB1? Not sure what distribution you're running; under Fedora Core 3 these devices have group uucp so you either have to add yourself to this group (in /etc/group) or change the group of the devices themselves in /etc/udev/permissions.d/50-udev.permissions.

I also get a version of the "timeout on ep0in" message (jat the end of hotsyncing) - not sure what causes it but it doesn't seem to matter.
  20. gaf
    I updated my kernel to 2.6.11-rc4-20050213072532-default (from SuSE ).
    I also tried from root although I am in UUCP group.
    kernel: usb 3-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 7
    kernel: usb 3-1: Product: Palm Handheld
    kernel: usb 3-1: Manufacturer: PalmOne, Inc.
    kernel: usb 3-1: SerialNumber: PalmSN12345678
    kernel: visor 3-1:1.0: Handspring Visor / Palm OS converter detected
    kernel: usb 3-1: Handspring Visor / Palm OS converter now attached to ttyUSB0
    kernel: usb 3-1: Handspring Visor / Palm OS converter now attached to ttyUSB1
    pilot-xfer: resmgr: unable to connect to resmgrd: Connection refused
    /etc/dev.d/tty/50-visor.dev[10756]: add tty device /class/tty/ttyUSB1
    /etc/dev.d/tty/50-visor.dev[10756]: Unable to connect to resource manager: Connection refused
    /etc/dev.d/tty/50-visor.dev[10750]: add tty device /class/tty/ttyUSB0
    /etc/dev.d/tty/50-visor.dev[10750]: Unable to connect to resource manager: Connection refused
    pilot-xfer: resmgr: unable to connect to resmgrd: Connection refused
    kernel: usb 3-1: pilot-xfer timed out on ep0in

I'm wondering if the problem might be either with the TREO or with pilot-link?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast