1.    #1  
    Hi Everybody!

As many of you know I was the first civilian to get a detailed preview of the Treo 600 and as a result I wrote a detailed article that was published here on TreoCentral.com.

As a result of my article I was invited to meet with Jeff Hawkins and discuss the future of handheld computers. I went on to write a 5 part article on many of the ideas I shared with Jeff, which was also published on here on TreoCentral.com

Since the advent of the Treo 650 a lot of people have been asking me what I thought about it.

Last week I was able to spend a couple of hours checking out a Treo 650, and all I can say is that I am blown away!!! I mean, I am really, really impressed. I am not going to write another detailed review because so many other people have already done so, but I will share a few observations.

It was kind of strange because when I first approached the Treo 650 and picked it up it did not seem much different than my 600. But once I turned it on, it was amazing how much different, and better it was. The screen is incredible and viewing web pages and photos is dramatically better. After quickly navigating around for a minute I remember thinking that the Treo 650 is really a computer that fits in your pocket.

More than anything it feels like a Mac that fits in your pocket. I also remember thinking that the Treo 650 just felt so right.

I realize the Treo 650 is not perfect and there are things that need to be improved but it is very impressive by today’s standards. Everybody knows the Treo 650 could use more internal memory and it needs to be able to multitask.

With that said, I give the Treo 650 two thumbs way, way up!! I will purchase one as soon as they become available for GSM.

I am so excited about the Treo 650 because it accurately illustrates how cool and powerful future generations of handheld computers will be.

Run out and get one!!!

Happy holidays!

Jake
    There is a great difference between knowing and understanding. You can know a lot about something without understanding it. —Charles Kettering
    -------------------------------------------------
    Treo 600: Love at First Sight by Jake Ehrlich

Thoughts on the Future of Handheld Computing: A 5 Part Series by Jake Ehrlich
    Hi Jake. What do you think of this design? (From someone at Palminfocenter)

http://churchoflivingfaith.com/images/treo800big.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by TZoP

That will be cool when it happens. And eventually it WILL happen!

For a long while I thought I'd really prefer this design, but after a couple of weeks with the new keyboard on the 650, I'll never go back to a keyboardless design. Now, if we could slide the Treo 650 keyboard out of the bottom of a full screen design like then, with exact same form factor (before slider) then I'm in!
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
  5.    #5  

Hi TzoP!

I think it is definitely interesting and I thing it definitely represents the future. In particular having a quarter VGA screen (320x480) is a must. Also having the antenna hidden is also a Must. One of the things it is missing is buttons on the side of the device. I think it was a huge mistake for palm to not put buttons on the upper right hand side like on the left of the Treo 650. Also there is the issue of the missing keyboard? Unless it slides out from behind?

http://www.jakeehrlich.com/Review/Bu...ain/gfunk2.jpg

I think the better way to do this kind of design was the way we designed it last year like the one on the far right exept with the new keyboard and button layout.

There are more analysis pictures like the one above from my article which can be seen at:
    http://www.jakeehrlich.com/Review/Bu...oDashboard.htm

What do you think?
    Jake
    There is a great difference between knowing and understanding. You can know a lot about something without understanding it. —Charles Kettering

Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    Hey Jake,
    Happy Holidays. Good to hear from you again. I'm glad you like the 650. The screen seems to have made the biggest impression on you, anything else there which helped your upgrade decision? I am hoping to upgrade my GSM 600 also... It would be nice to get a similar upgrade deal as with the 600.

The tZop supplied design is nice... The keyboard has to be there in some form right now. It is the proven best input mechanism on a smartphone/PDA today. We would all like to see some voice activation method (starting to be introduced now)..not sure of the reliability and acceptance of this, but would help the design mentioned.

I a bit surprized at the demise of the touch screen. I like the idea of having on screen buttons for a more efficient design, but finding myself addicted to the 5-way. I think there may be a trend towards a rectangular sceen that an be turned sideways for spreadsheets and wide screen video..I like that idea and I believe it is being used in the tungsten line. For your design, think of the unit being turned 90 degrees for some functions (watching media, spreadsheets, gaming). Keep the 5-way as a control for the right (or left) thumb in this orientation and add a few buttons for the opposite hand (Think the new Sony PSP design). Merging this design with a phone-like design as you have would be killer.

How about incorporating in few speakers for stereo sound...I'm pretty impressed playing back mp3 thru the 600's speaker..and it's mono.
    I think that the women in your jeans slideshow are fly man
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by j$hort
    Hey Jake,
    Happy Holidays. Good to hear from you again. I'm glad you like the 650. The screen seems to have made the biggest impression on you, anything else there which helped your upgrade decision? I am hoping to upgrade my GSM 600 also... It would be nice to get a similar upgrade deal as with the 600.

The tZop supplied design is nice... The keyboard has to be there in some form right now. It is the proven best input mechanism on a smartphone/PDA today. We would all like to see some voice activation method (starting to be introduced now)..not sure of the reliability and acceptance of this, but would help the design mentioned.

I a bit surprized at the demise of the touch screen. I like the idea of having on screen buttons for a more efficient design, but finding myself addicted to the 5-way. I think there may be a trend towards a rectangular sceen that an be turned sideways for spreadsheets and wide screen video..I like that idea and I believe it is being used in the tungsten line. For your design, think of the unit being turned 90 degrees for some functions (watching media, spreadsheets, gaming). Keep the 5-way as a control for the right (or left) thumb in this orientation and add a few buttons for the opposite hand (Think the new Sony PSP design). Merging this design with a phone-like design as you have would be killer.

How about incorporating in few speakers for stereo sound...I'm pretty impressed playing back mp3 thru the 600's speaker..and it's mono.
    Hi j$hort!

You asked what beside the screen helped my upgrade decision?

The new keyboard is much better and easier to use. The backlighting on the keys is stunning. The new position for the home and menu buttons is brilliant. I can’t emphasize this enough. It is much, much more intuitive now…the way it should have originally been. The green colored phone icon on the left and the red hang up button that also is the on-off button for the whole Treo is well thought out. Plus the Treo 650 just looks really cool!!

The way the favorites pages pop-up from underneath the phone screen is really cool. The new agenda view on the calendar is great. The new rocker design on the left side of the phone it much more ergonomic than the old design.

Although I have not seen video taken with the Treo 650 played back on a desktop, the camcorder is awesome. Particularly the way the Camera is integrated in with the Camcorder, along with the video/photo viewer. Also as I understand it the only recording time limitation for video is the amount of onboard storage. This means that you could record an entire speech or presentation if you wanted to. You could even conduct a video interview. If you were in a car accident you could video tape the scene and really get context you just cant get from still images.

I really like the way the Treo 650 has much more software and functionality built into it.
    I don’t have to use splash photo anymore to do slide shows. It has an MP3 player built in. It just seems like it is much more the way I want it right out of the box.

Also it is lightning fast. You can actually surf the web like on a small laptop. I thought the Treo 600 sucked bad for web surfing. If you went to a web site with a map on it you can actually see and read the map, plus you have four times the number of pixels than the 600.

The SD card slot is set lower so it is much less likely that your SD card will pop out by mistake.

The viewing quality of photos is amazing with the 320x320 with 16-bit color. I was looking at the models on my website and they looked sooo good. On the Treo 600 they look terrible. It is kind of like having terrible eyesight and then getting lasic eye surgery that makes your eyesight better than 20/20.

The Treo 650 is what we all wanted and were hoping for in the Treo 600. I would even go so far as to say that the difference between the Treo 600 and the Treo 650 is as great as the difference between watching a 20 inch black and white TV v. a 35 inch color TV.

On the issue of voice recognition replacing a keyboard, I don’t think this will ever happen. I say this because there are times when it would not work to use your voice. For instance in a movie theater, or while somebody is giving a presentation. I really like the keyboard on the Treo 650.

I agree about stereo speakers. I actually have a crazy friend who walks around with his Treo 600 in his shirt pocket and he uses it like an iPod to listen to MP3s, except he uses the built-in speaker. I also think that they should make the Treo so it can stand up on its own like an ipod. It if had built-in stereo speakers it would sound much better!
    Jake

Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    For a long while I thought I'd really prefer this design, but after a couple of weeks with the new keyboard on the 650, I'll never go back to a keyboardless design. Now, if we could slide the Treo 650 keyboard out of the bottom of a full screen design like then, with exact same form factor (before slider) then I'm in!
    Dito.

I had the Treo 300 first, Samsung i330 prior to my Treo 600 and now the 650.

Definatly never again without the keyboard. One reason is that sometimes the processor or whatever it was, slowed down the system and there was a half a second delay in punching in numbers with the stylis. A real drag when chatting.
    Forget about the 650.

I want to have dinner with this one....

http://www.jakeejeans.com/H6.jpg
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by MVT
    Forget about the 650.

Do you mean you want to have her for dinner?

Forget about the 650.

Only dinner
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss

Yup, it is keyboard for me from now on as well, big D
    Now that I now have 320 x 320, I have become a glutton for screen real estate and would LOVE to have 320 x 480!!

Nanotechnology Nerd
    i300-->i330-->i500-->6700(1 wk!)-->Sprintt650-->gsm650-->HTC Universal (1 mo.)-->gsm650-->Cing8525(3wks!)-->gsm650
    How about dinner with her and her for dessert?

Just don't tell my wife...lol.
    Forget about the 650.

I'm in love....................