1.    #1  
    Okay, i've gone back and forth with my IT guys, and they just aren't willing to make the changes i'd hoped. Their policy is that we use RIM Blackberry, and they're not going to change that. So until Blackberry-connect becomes available, here is my temporary solutions that appears to work pretty well.

I have set up a rule within outlook, that rather than forwarding mail, which caused every email to appear like it came from my work address, there is actually a rule built in that allows me to re-direct all email to another address. This solves to problems. 1) it continues to work even when my laptop is shut down and not logged in to the system, unlike Sprints BC and other third pary apps, and 2) my emails now come through from the original sender, not my corporate address. I redirect everythign to my own private email account/domain, and have versamail check every 15 minutes. As far as i'm concerned, it's as real-time as i need, and it seems to be working flawlessly.

Now, the slight problems i've run into....Outlook 2003 won't let you run a redirect rule if you also check non-exchange (pop or IMAP) email on the same machine. It can't run a client rule and a server re-direct at the same time, so i have had to remove my mindspring and other email from my office computer. Not a huge deal (in fact probably better to do this anyway) but a little disappointing. The other problem is that i can't find a way to change my outgoing "reply to" address. I'd like for when I reply to an email on my Treo, for the email address to show my corporate address, but alas, i'm not sure this is possible. If anyone has any ideas here, let me know.

But for those of you with exchange servers who can't get their admins to help them out, this is a very workable and uesable solution that doesn't require any IT input what so ever.
    Of course, if you use Chatter this way, you'd get your mail pushed to you... A number of people are doing this.

Marc
    Snapper allows you to set up your reply to address so it looks like it's coming from your work (or other) address. From what I could tell you have to use one outgoing address all the time, you can easily switch back and forth without going back into the settings. I found it when I was trying to set up the same redirect solution a few months ago, but unfortunately my company has conveniently locked out the redirect feature in outlook.
  4.    #4  
    I am heavily considering Chatter, Snapper, and possibly even Inbox2Go wireless edition. However, due to the memory constraints on the 650, i'm hesitant to start loading up duplicate apps when Versa may be able to serve my purposes. I'm going to try it for a week or so and see how it "feels" using it. If i'm totally unsatisfied, i'll consider another solution. I just don't want to have 2 email programs if i don't need them. The push feature on chatter is certainly very nice....but i'm not sure it's 100% necessary. I can survive having my emial updated every 15 minutes instead. But we'll see. I may change my mind.

Otis...sorry to hear they blocked your redirect. I was concerned that was happening to me, and then i discovered that it was becasue of the 2 personal POP accounts that i also access on my work laptop. Having those 2 client based inbox's caused me to receive a rules error stating that "The redirect function is unavailable" or somethign to that effect. I discovered that was because of those other two accounts, not some server setting. I deleted those two accounts, and now i'm happy. Could that be similar to what happened to you?

So far, i'm glad to have the redirect option...i never knew it was there before, because i never needed it.
    can someone tell me specifically how to redirect the emails in outlook?
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SailRace
    I have set up a rule within outlook, that rather than forwarding mail, which caused every email to appear like it came from my work address, there is actually a rule built in that allows me to re-direct all email to another address. This solves to problems. 1) it continues to work even when my laptop is shut down and not logged in to the system, unlike Sprints BC and other third pary apps, and 2) my emails now come through from the original sender, not my corporate address. I redirect everythign to my own private email account/domain, and have versamail check every 15 minutes. As far as i'm concerned, it's as real-time as i need, and it seems to be working flawlessly.

But for those of you with exchange servers who can't get their admins to help them out, this is a very workable and uesable solution that doesn't require any IT input what so ever.
    Your Exchange admins may shut this off if they find out you are able to redirect. If I were you, I'd keep this to myself. It is very easy to disallow e-mail redirection in an Exchange environment(Or only allow redirection to a specific domain).

For those of you looking to copy this setup in Outlook, go to Tools and create a rule. Don't set any conditions, just click next. A message should pop warning that the rule will be applied to all incoming mail. Tell it that's okay. There should be a "redirect to" checkbox in the rule options. If you have Outlook 2003 you can just type the forwarding e-mail address in the box. If you have Outlook XP or earlier, you will need to first create a contact with the e-mail address and then choose that contact as the forwarding address. This is all from memory so it may not be completely accurate, but you get the basic idea.
    Last edited by Snyder81; 12/07/2004 at 02:12 AM.
    In VersaMail you can change the reply to address by doing the following:

- Go to the Options Menu and select Preferences
    - Select Reply Options
    - Enter the new address in the 'Reply to Address with': field

That simple. It works.
    I've posted this before, but for those who this will help... I am using SnapperMail 2.0 on T-Mo on the T600 Outlook 2003 (on a laptop that is not always on) and Exchange 2003. I also have a personal POP 3 account.

1) Set SnapperMail "reply to" address to show your work address.
    2) Set Snappermail to send a BCC of all of your Email from the Treo to your POP3 Account.
    3) Set your POP 3 to forward all mail sent to you at the POP 3 to your Exchange Account
    4) Set up a Rule in Outlook to put all Email sent by you into your sent items folder.

SnapperMail 2.0 is IMAP compliant and will (if Exchange is properly set up) permit you to synch all of the contents of your Inbox (I file my Email daily so I only have new Email in my Inbox) on your Treo.

You can purge the contents of the Sent Items on the Treo periodically because all of your Outgoing Email will be in your Sent Items folder when you return to Exchange.
    Man...Snyder81 I thought I had found the Treo 650 holy grail with the "redirect" rule in outlook. It seems my exchanged admin disabled this function - I need that blackberry client for the Palm OS fast.
    Mapilab has an add-in called REDIRECT FOR OUTLOOK.
    http://www.mapilab.com/outlook/redirect/

I haven't tried this (but I did look on the TOOLS menu on my Outlook and couldn't find a Redirect option). Does anyone know if Mapilab's product is any good?