Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    < merged >
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay
    What I am wondering is how does the issue of memory problems with the Treo 650 and/or the free SD card issue have anything to do with the customer rep being a woman or being Indian for that matter. Also, how does he know she is Indian? I am sure it's not something they disclose as part of their greeting.
    Yes, I know, was poking fun at the fact that he pointed out that it was an indian woman. However, I have on occasion asked them, "where are you from, where am I calling?" and get the answer. So if I wrote that, it would be true, though it is irrelevant to the discussion.

Eric
    Quote Originally Posted by kirkeric
    Yes, I know, was poking fun at the fact that he pointed out that it was an indian woman. However, I have on occasion asked them, "where are you from, where am I calling?" and get the answer. So if I wrote that, it would be true, though it is irrelevant to the discussion.
    Eric
    I know you were making a joke, it's the original poster that I was wondering about.
    Quote Originally Posted by kirkeric
    Does anyone know how reliable these cards are? I have been a little afraid to put important stuff on the card for fear of relying on the card. This phone was clearly designed to require a card and one far more than a measily 128MB. I still want it because what the hell, it's free but I use a 512MB card right now.

By the way, how do you always get the Indian woman?

Eric
    Eric,
    The SanDisk 256MB card I have been using in my Treo 600 for over a year has been rock solid. It put up with me filing it down so as to not pop out all the time.

More importantly that why he always gets the Indian person...is why does it matter if the person is Indian, Texan, Mexican or for that matter Martian. Doesn't matter where the CS group is as long as they are trained well.
    Well, I'm following PalmOne's suggestion to run apps from the SD card, except that those apps can't seem to be added to my Favorites buttons! What gives? Even with a "free" 128mb card, you still essentially have to use a third-party launcher or settle for wading through your Home button to get to an app you want to use. I called PalmOne about this and they had no solution.
    They should give a much larger card than 128MB. Since there is only one slot the size needs to make up for the design problem AND leave enough room for whatever else I want to do.

It should be a high speed card to minimize the performance hit caused by their 'solution'.

They need to provide a launcher for free that allows us to run apps from the large and fast card they provide. (For those who have already purchased a launcher and a card, PalmOne should offer an alternative.)

If all this was done then we would have been better served only if the phone didn't have the problem in the first place.

I hope PalmOne is listening.
    See the sticky thread in the 650 forum on the power user setup.

I followed those instructions and now I have 11MB free even with tons of extras (Mapopolis, that new 2.4mb Bejeweled 2, SnapperMail, DocsToGo, VoiceDial, etc.).

The biggest impact was the DataViz special tool to run DocsToGo off the SD card. It's free and saves 4.5MB by itself. (search that thread for DataViz. I'd do it but I'm writing this from my Treo now...)
    Quote Originally Posted by pertinax
    I hope PalmOne is listening.
    Apparently they weren't listening to the Treo 600 customers that are dumping this "upgrade" like hotcakes. I think the specifications of the next Treo will clearly indicate if PalmOne has a clue about listening to their customers. But with the red flags about memory pretty obvious to many users of the Treo 600 since it was released, what they did to the 650 is just ridiculous. The fact they are "surprised" anyone cares about adequate memory levels gives you a clue about how well PalmOne did any "listening" since buying Handspring.

I'm noticing many of the people that were calling me and the other advocates for sufficient memory "whiners," "doom and gloomers," "negative people," "haters of PalmOne" and other interesting labels are already starting to mention that the memory issue is a troubling problem for them. The phone's been out just a couple weeks...... If PalmOne had taken the time to "listen" to it's more avid user-base BEFORE spec'ing out this phone, I'd be selling their phone for them, rather than telling people to avoid it. Bluetooth is neat - BUT memory is MANDATORY.
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by kschoenberg
    Eric,
    More importantly that why he always gets the Indian person...is why does it matter if the person is Indian, Texan, Mexican or for that matter Martian. Doesn't matter where the CS group is as long as they are trained well.
    Ok, I'll say it just because I like being anti-PC just because everyone else is soooo focused on being PC. Talking to a foreigner when you have a problem SUCKS! I'm not being insensitive, I'm being honest. If you have a problem and call for help and the person speaks broken english, it's more of a chore to get the help you want. That's why it matter's that the person was indian. Not because of indian's being inferior (which I shouldn't have to explain but will....NO, I don't think they're inferior)...but because English is not their first language.
    Quote Originally Posted by RicoM
    Ok, I'll say it just because I like being anti-PC just because everyone else is soooo focused on being PC. Talking to a foreigner when you have a problem SUCKS! I'm not being insensitive, I'm being honest. If you have a problem and call for help and the person speaks broken english, it's more of a chore to get the help you want. That's why it matter's that the person was indian. Not because of indian's being inferior (which I shouldn't have to explain but will....NO, I don't think they're inferior)...but because English is not their first language.

AMEN
    I agree, I had this problem with Dell. I am a Lan Admin and have to deal with Dell on a regular basis. Nothing worse than getting a "tech" who is not a tech but a person from anther country that tries to read English off the scripted computer screen. I screamed at Dell after a 40 minute call to replace a hard drive that I knew I was defective before I called. Needless to say, I don't have to call Panama or India any more.
    This is an interesting thread. It will be a cold day in...India...before I buy a 650! My 600 isn't all that great but compared to what I hear about the 650 it's fantastic! I'm sticking with my 600 until SOMEONE comes out with a unit that really surpasses what I already have, and apparently it is not the 650. I doubt very much that P1 could modify what they've already produced to make it much better. I have a funny feeling Samsung may come out with somethng really nice soon, but that's just a feeling. In any event the fact is I won't be buying a 650 any time soon and I'm on my Sprint rep's short list--he's called, emailed, and SMS'd me in the last two days because I had originally asked to learn when it might be available. This is kind of a disappointment.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12